Sign in to follow this  
Diamante

Pictures Show Saddam Hussein In His Underwear

Diamante   

Pictures of Saddam Hussein in his Underwear

LONDON(Reuters) - A picture of Saddam Hussein in his underpants was splashed across the front-page of Britain's biggest-selling newspaper on Friday.

The Sun newspaper quoted U.S. military sources as saying they had handed over the pictures "in the hope of dealing a body blow to the resistance in Iraq".

Other photographs showed Saddam, with short, dyed-black hair and a moustache, washing clothes by hand and asleep on his bed.

But a U.S. military statement said the pictures might be a year old, contravened Saddam's rights as a prisoner and could have broken the Geneva Convention.

"Multi-National Forces-Iraq is disappointed at the possibility that someone responsible for the security, welfare, and detention of Saddam would take and provide these photos for public release," the statement said.

"This lapse is being aggressively investigated to determine, if possible, who took the photos, and to ensure existing procedures and directives are complied with to prevent this from happening again," it said.

Toppled from power in the U.S. war in Iraq in April 2003, Saddam was captured hiding in a small underground bunker in December of the same year. Apart from a brief court appearance last year, no images of Saddam have been made public since then.

Saddam is expected to stand trial in next year on charges of genocide, torture and crimes against humanity. If he is found guilty he could face the death penalty.

"Saddam is not superman or God, he is just an ageing and humble old man," The Sun quoted the military source as saying.

"It's important that the people of Iraq see him like that to destroy the myth. Maybe that will kill a bit of the passion in the fanatics who still follow him.

"It's over, guys. The evil days of Saddam's Baath Party are never coming back - and here's the proof," the source said.

The newspaper said the pictures were taken at a top secret location where Saddam was being held in a 12-ft by 9-ft (3.6-m by 2.7-m) cell, watched 24 hours a day on closed circuit television by special forces and military police.

It is not the first time pictures of U.S. detainees in Iraqi jails have been leaked to the media.

A year ago graphic photographs of the abuse of detainees in the notorious Abu Ghraib jail outraged world opinion and were described as the best recruiting campaign for Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda.

Source

STOIC   

Ohh grandpa in his underpant-big deal- not really .I know this is another conspiracy done by the evil empire called "America" but Saddam in his underwear is not a big shock news.The man was a wicked.

shyhem   

Ok we have seen Saddam in his underwear! so what?

Saddam indeed was dump man who brought harm to his family members, and his fellow country men.As far i'm concerned they should have shot him long time ago.

Diamante   

I can see your stance, but nevertheless plastering pictures of someone in his undergarments is helpful exactley how?? So they degraded a guy that stood high and mighty once, what else are they trying to prove.

There are laws they need to abide to, the Geneva Convention prohibits that sort of thing. Just because Saddam was a "monster" don't mean that you should stoop down to his level.

Besides, respect to him for standing up to America. We all know that it wasn't because he was a "wicked" that America invaded Iraq...

Quite frankly, im not impressed by the pictures. Yes indeed we all know Saddam Hussein killed and harmed many in different ways. However every prisonner has civil rights even Hussein. This is known to the entire international community. But once again the american government is just showing us how much they consider themselves above any law. I mean we all remember what the U.N and the international community thought of going to war. Yet the "mighty" USA did it anyway.

Disgusted yes...shocked no.

Its a dirty war.

FatB   

correct me if i am wrong but don't all prisonor of war have rights under the jeneava convention :confused:

i mean sure the guy is a tirent but isn't the west an even greater tirent? with all their "protecting the freedom" and "human righs" bull**** they are manipulating and corrupting the values fo democracy........i personally believe that sadam is a good guy

Originally posted by professer:

.....i personally believe that sadam is a
good guy

ahahaha ha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha ahahahaha ahahah hahaha ..... ahh, yes sorry, I just needed a good laugh..... sure a good guy, would love to have him over for tea. smile.gif

Anyway, back to the topic. What I'm wondering is, who are these pictures really for? First of all, I don't think many people idolise tyrants, except for other tyrants and people who have something to gain by their tyranny. So I think that defeats the purpose of The Sun, which after all claim that they intended to strip a tyrant of his power, and reveal the naked pathetic truth. Seriously, we don't need pictures to know that Saddam wasn't a great man, the vast majority of the international community looks at him with contempt anyway.

So I can only conclude these pictures were printed not to shatter this (non-existant) image of Saddam as a powerful man, but revealed as a rather hollow justification for an illegal war. It is a typical victory image so beloved by jingoistic morons.

A violent abuser of human rights has been publicly conquered by taking away his human rights. Irony, my friends, seems to be a making a frequent appearance ever since this war started.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Xu:

First of all, I don't think many people idolise tyrants

What do you mean by many? Do you mean it by the majority? If so, your point is valid. Otherwise, there are at least 1 million people who idolise Saddam Hussein, not only those who benefited from him, but also those who have observed him from a distance, including non-Muslims. Of course, you know one man's tyrant is another man's hero, and vice versa.

I'm sure he has his fans, but I'm talking about the informed majority here (informed meaning, people who actually know a thing or two about his regime, not the people who support him simply because of his dislike of the US). I was just wondering who these pictures were for. For the people who still support him or for the people who defeated him?

And also, if it is for the former, I wonder if The Sun thinks that his militant fans running around in Iraq are actually going to feel disheartened by these pictures. I would imagine, if anything, they would feel more inspired in their anger against America. So really, the only reason I can think of for publishing these pictures, is to showcase the 'great' accomplishments of the US/UK army. And apparently their victory can only be emphasised by human rights abuse.....

Long live The Sun!

Haddad   

Originally posted by Xu:

For the people who still support him or for the people who defeated him?

It's for the later. It represents for them a trophy from the battlefield they have won.

I would imagine, if anything, they would feel more inspired in their anger against America.

Indeed.

FatB   

Originally posted by Xu:

quote:Originally posted by professer:

.....i personally believe that sadam is a
good guy

ahahaha ha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha ahahahaha ahahah hahaha ..... ahh, yes sorry, I just needed a good laugh.....
^^ there is no humor there, your perseption of sadam hussein is reflected form the werstern media...all the "facst" that or belives you hold against S/H is formed throught what the media tells you. the Guy is no hitler (though i like whath happend to the jews under his reighn)

back to the subject is there a law that prohibits photo graphs of POWs being released. i would assume that the US of whom ever publisised these photos abide by their own laws.... don't you think?

Originally posted by professer:

there is no humor there, your perseption of sadam hussein is reflected form the werstern media...all the "facst" that or belives you hold against S/H is formed throught what the media tells you.

Oh I'm sorry, I guess the Iraqi refugees I worked with in asylum centres and who claimed to have directly suffered under his regime were all opportunistic liars who just love to play the victim.... sure.

Please tell me about this amazing revelatory intelligence that you have access to and we don't, please enlighten us brainwashed media puppets, oh bringer of truth!

Good grief, your average monkey could figure out that the media exaggerates certain threats and that they certainly have a hostile agenda towards the middle-east (just look the media coverage of Palestinian conflict). You my friend, assume that people only watch TV and read news papers for their information, sure I know a lot of the crimes he is accused of have never been proven with hard evidence, but seriously, a good man???

the Guy is no hitler (though i like whath happend to the jews under his reighn)

But then again, what's the point in arguing with someone who comes out with this sort of cr*p.

lol   

XU you wrote:

Oh I'm sorry, I guess the Iraqi refugees I worked with in asylum centres and who claimed to have directly suffered under his regime were all opportunistic liars who just love to play the victim.... sure.

Can't that be possible, I mean we know that many Somalis when they got to the Western world and started seekeing Assylum lied about everything... how can u say for sure that it doesn't apply to the Iraqis as well?

Back to the Topic:

I don't think humilating Saddam will have any postive impact on the Iraqi war, if any it will revolt the Iraqis against the US. Sometimes I just wonder if really Saddam was captured, coz seriously think about it...

The al qasr, that lil village gave the americans the hassle of their lives yet Baghdad they entered with no resistance..? Not even a single fight... is dat a possibility?

FatB   

all opportunistic liars who just love to play the victim.... sure.

first of all with all due rispect, please look at the situation objectivly

the above coments are nothing short of using emotive appeals to influence your judgment. just because they say that they have suffered does not mean that under the contexts that they use it is right.

views of opinions vary form individual to individual. just look at the "liberation" of poland in the second world war. sure the Russions freed then form the tyriany of the germans but, with there liberatiions they brought a new form of opperetion and distruction.

sister what u whant to believe is up to your subconsions, how ever if you look at the world every dictatorship is allways followed be a different dictatorship.

But then again, what's the point in arguing with someone who comes out with this sort of cr*p.

^^and what is that suppost to mean?????

are you indicating that the jew did not deserve every ounce of what they got by the germans. you do realise that these are the same jews that bilittled and humiliated our phophit muxammad (SCW) these are the jews who continue to this very day to discrace our religon, kill our brother and sisters, disimate that ecomoies of the world and of the muslim countries...