Sign in to follow this  
finestsista2005

Writing big words don't make u a better person!

Ariadne   

Like i said, everyone of you got my point. That 's what matters. Anywayz, Prixe, babygirl, i thing ur grammer and spelling needs work as well.

If you think (notice how it's think with a K and not a G) my grammar and spelling need work,

then please feel free to correct me.

It seems what your saying in all of your messages, are as jumbled and confusing as your spelling and grammar.

I am not singling anyone out. I am just stating that some people use too much big words. I been here quite a long time and i don't use it writing at a form. I am trying to get through my point not making it confusing. Remember here is Somalian Town. U want as to have good debate, u better then start looking as whole and including everyone. For some it comes naturaly, i can use it too, but what would make sense to the reader is something u have to keep in mind. Sophist, i am not singling u out. I thing u do bring good topics here, but tone it down ur complex words little. eg. "indubitably" is not word that we use it everyday. And u saying u been in england for 8 years. But i got love for all the nomads.

Remember, we here to have good debates and to show love, not to critizes....that won't help us.

enough love!

This is what you said in your second post.

Listen to all those who think they can come into here and use big words that come from dictionary or some century form 1800's. Ur agruments don't even make sense. Why can't u use clear consise words wher everyone would understand. Did we say u were here to make another play where "theee brethen' is used. I think anyone who is doing that is trying to be percived more knowledgable or more better than everyone else. Reality check we are not here to put each other down. Honestly, nothing you guys say don't make sense. I suggest you rationalize before u post another fallasies.

Sophet, listen bro if u think we somali queens and kings are really lacking intellegence then why are u hanging around this beloved somalionline. I personally suggest u find ur sole. Nothing is wrong with as somalian, we are growing, learning just like any other culture. I hate when we put down our self. Just becuase u were here little more than others don't make u "Know it all "... go back to africa, if u dont have the money will fundraise it for u...cuz i think u are serously lacking ur culture.

This is what you said in your first post of the topic.

This time I'm not going bother to edit, as it will take all day.

I am not singling anyone out.

Yes, you were. You specifically said Sophist... bro... blah blah blah...losing culture... go back to Somalia. Not only did you single him out, but you attacked him overzealously. Your own words here stand witness against you:

"Sophet, listen bro if u think we somali queens and kings are really lacking intellegence then why are u hanging around this beloved somalionline. I personally suggest u find ur sole. Nothing is wrong with as somalian, we are growing, learning just like any other culture. I hate when we put down our self. Just becuase u were here little more than others don't make u "Know it all "... go back to africa"

I am just stating that some people use too much big words.

And some people don't, but nobody complains about them.

I been here quite a long time and i don't use it writing at a form.

Good for you for being here a long time. Now do you want a medal?

I am trying to get through my point not making it confusing.

Pardon me for the repetion, but this sentence is confusing. I suppose your trying to say: your trying to get your point across without making it confusing.

Remember here is Somalian Town.

we're not in a town, my dear, we're in a forum.

U want as to have good debate, u better then start looking as whole and including everyone. For some it comes naturaly, i can use it too, but what would make sense to the reader is something u have to keep in mind.

I'm not gonna even bother to try (the keyword here)to translate this sentence to something remotely understandable.

Sophist, i am not singling u out.

When you address someone by name... you are singling them out.

I thing u do bring good topics here,

Do you do this often?

Attack the person and then say oh and by the way you have good topics.

Remember, we here to have good debates and to show love, not to critizes....that won't help us.

The statement above contradicts everything you've said in your first post. This paragraph

can attest to that.

"Listen to all those who think they can come into here and use big words that come from dictionary or some century form 1800's. Ur agruments don't even make sense. Why can't u use clear consise words wher everyone would understand. Did we say u were here to make another play where "theee brethen' is used. I think anyone who is doing that is trying to be percived more knowledgable or more better than everyone else."

Do you see the love that's shown here?

I certainly don't.

Haaruun   

Daily news papers, News week, Times, Reader's Digest or any other famous magazines are written in simple english for the sake of people's understanding.... in my opinion to use such huge words in purpose here on SOL is sickening and luck of self esteem.

How could u criticize a nomads for misspelling a word when the English provesor him/herself relays on a dictionary..

Yes, we do misspell or sometimes use sentences wich are grammatically incorrect because, SIMPLY IT IS NOT OUR MOTHER TONGUE

:(:(:(

Changed   

LOL. This is funny as hell,

i dont use fancy words (as my friend would say) but i dont mind reading them. i think one should use the words they are comfortable with, did it ever cross ur mind firslady that he may not be using the words to put u or others down and he is being himself, just because he is somali who says he cant use big words to express himself, everyone in here has the right to be themselves, or be whoever they want to be , why do u care if he looks at dictionaries to use the words atleast he is learning something and he is putting a use to what he is learned redface.gif :rolleyes:

If u want to use "big words" go dictionary.com, or buy ur self a dictionary learn them and put from them in a sentence , and wala u got his writing skills right thurr icon_razz.gif

just incase u dont get what he is saying use the dictionary :Dicon_razz.gificon_razz.gif (all of that are jokes of course firslady no offence sister)

i get ur point dow

I think most of you have missed the issue here ....The sticking point is using words that some dont understand and not grammer. Regardless of what you may think of what others post or how they write their messages, we are all capable of making mistakes. As they say no one is perfect, besides this is a foreign language we are talking about that can be perfected by some and others wouldnt. So whether we use big words or make spelling mistakes, we shouldnt be ashamed of it after all even the indigenous people makes mistakes too.

There is what we call freedom of choice ladies and gentlemen. Chose what you like reading and stop reading what you dont simple. I dont see why we should now go on a point scoring mission that wont end. Respect each other and stay focused on what you want to respond to rather than try to belittle others.

Ladies please,

When one applies words of erstwhile era, of contemporary, or if even of ingenious genus, it matter not the least bit in my opinion so long as one understands the other’s stance on issues. Celebrating the strengths of those in our midst whilst endeavouring towards augmenting our limitations would indeed be beneficial to us all. A decision, it appears inadvertently or otherwise, to adopt a language other than our own as the mode of communication had been made, thus one would have thought it better to make an attempt to master the linguistic minutiae, literary formulae, and artistic varieties of the target language, English in this case.

The use of big words, so to speak, permits one to better describe the feeling, conditions, environment, and nature of the subject matter in trying not to only capture a true, wholesome picture of the event, but to also convey one’s perception of the situation to the other.

There, I reckon as observed in the discussion, is difference of cultures [operative] noticeable in the styles of writing and modes of delivery – American vs British [incl. commonwealth countries]. The former encourages the most simplistic form of writing for cultural and social reasons (many American are not of Anglo Saxon origin) whereas the latter tends to prefer a rather multifarious format, also for cultural and social [class] reasons. Consequently, and unfortunately those reasons are misconstrued in that the latter group is said (not wholly true though)to perceive the former as acquiring less intellect with no class (superior standards) whereas the former views the latter as being no more than ostentatious, pompous and snobbish in not only in their manners, but also in their style. Have you visited a General’s home with his monocles and rigid attitudes? Worse yet, have you met women (mostly British) of middle class by way of marriage or association albeit of working class upbringing? If you did, you would know where I am going with this? Are we any different? I think not.

Then again there is the argument of the elites, the academes, and the intellectuals (minority, mind you in our society) as opposed to the rest (majority) which is far more complex than all other reasons.

Therefore, I do not believe it is a case of some desiring to flaunt their linguistic abilities thereby looking down on others, rather I reckon it is testimony to our diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and trainings though we tend to think otherwise to be the case. This, I find plausible, inspired, and not despicable.

Whatever the case might be, mellowness on all parties, and receptiveness of each other might go a long way in the end!

Zaylici - “ So, my dear first lady, big words enable us to discuss things that ordinary langugage fails to facilitate ” Could not agree with you more Zaylici on the philosophical and scientific application of the language!

Cheers.

Haneefah   

Originally posted by FirstLady:

here to make another play where "theee brethen' is used.

lol...sorry but I just had to laugh at that. Maybe whomever used it is just into Shakespearean dialect! Isn't it their prerogative to speak in whichever way they please?

I don't know where some people get off thinking that whomever uses "big words" or vocab is merely doing it for the sake to impress others :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is funny walahi. Your level of undertanding of the English language or how sophisticated you write/speak the language is not a reflection of your intellegence nor your level of education. But some somalis sadly have the misconception that it is. English is just like any other language...a form of communication...and to many of us, it's nothing more than a means to an end.

I've even seen some members of this forum who say to others words like...."expand your vocab" or "your english is broken" and etc. just to offend the others as though this was our native tongue. Like, how absurd, honestly!! :rolleyes:

And the whole thing with the grammar?? :rolleyes:

Dad cajiib ah baanu nahay walee.

Salaan...

Awright! Awright! I must admit, I used to be a one who used to fancy and entertain with the big words once.

Coming from ESL, in back at high school, to a Shakespearean play of Hamlet in English class, I thought I mastered the English language quickly. I thought wrong. :D:D

However and nevertheless, big words never bothered me; bring them all on. Why? Read above.

Macsalaama.

ZOLA   

C'MON PEOPLE ..GIVE THE GAL A BREAK...

PIXIE...I DONT KNOW ABOUT U BUT MOST OF US IN HERE DONT REALLY CHECK OUR GRAMMAR AND SPELLING WHEN WE WRITE ...AS LONG AS WHAT WE WRITE MAKES SENSE.

A.A

i think right big words is cool! check this out..

true story!

this bara was trying sell a me watch at my lunch time today...it went like this!!

hey bro, u wanna buy this rolex watch? i say, "man, it look fake. He say, "BS, that watch israel!" :confused: ... so Use Big Words If U Can! who cares!

Sophist   

Salaams,

As I read these responses I am capitulated by a sense of merriment. Perhaps I should inadvertently feel incensed with intense heat to the extent that I should rebut her false allegations-that would not be the right thing perhaps.

As the honrourable chaps above (Zaylici and Samurai in particular) have articulated rather superlatively their verdicts on the subject matter, I shall leave it with their able analysis. However, I feel duty-bound to elucidate one matter that is annoying me like a small stone in my overworn shoe. It must be said, that it is not because I feel the unmerited words that came from the first lady (no chance of that happening that she had now slighted a potential first man smile.gif ); they are quite discordant in comparison to the habitual mantra I use to hear a while ago.

The matter is, What are the big words my lady speaks about? To be entirely sincere with you I don't feel I am using words that I deem to be "BIG WORDS". If one finds words like verdict big because one is used to hearing decision or ruling, then that is their shortcoming from their part.

Anyhow, Guys don't be hard on the poor lady, she thought she was on a right track. My dear, no harm is done.

Sophist

PS: is this too common for you? I indeed took a lot of time to simplify this-still quite subjective thing.

Sophist

sophist, due to your broad range of vocabs i do say that my only comment was regarding the words that you chose to include in your original quote i did not have any negative things to say about the subject matter since its your opinion and i do fully comprehend what you were trying to state but do not for a second think that you have a right to generalize every somalian youth or deemed them to be unsophisticated or uneducated . I, did not took any offence to your last post and i do thank you for your so called subjective simplicity and i hope for the so called intellects that think they are sophisticated do something with their lifes and to you to sophist .

pc

Nephissa   

What's up with this huge English debate?

1st Lady, is there some kind of a law that says there can't be any kind of "Big Words" in the forum? Incase you have not noticed this is an intellectual debate corner, not a high school popularity contest as your piece suggests.

If you got issues with this individual you should've PM-ed him. Puhleeeeseee, stop crying out loud.

Macalin   

Asalaam aleykum

So You have a problem with bro sophits' rambunctious,raucous,strident,vociferous and obstreperous ways of using big WORDS?...i honestly believe its his perogative, appanage, droit and perquisite right if he chooses to do so...

In my Opinion you are being cantankerous and

bearish yet captious while being insensitvly choleric and crotchety hence being dour, irascible and morose to his right and still become obstinate yet ornery and a peevish, perverse honerable Nomad while not respecting his liberty to be what he desires to be. Please stop being petulant and quarrelsome.

to be snappish and sour is not the way to be humble.

Thnkx in advance