Sign in to follow this  
finestsista2005

Writing big words don't make u a better person!

Listen to all those who think they can come into here and use big words that come from dictionary or some century form 1800's. Ur agruments don't even make sense. Why can't u use clear consise words wher everyone would understand. Did we say u were here to make another play where "theee brethen' is used. I think anyone who is doing that is trying to be percived more knowledgable or more better than everyone else. Reality check we are not here to put each other down. Honestly, nothing you guys say don't make sense. I suggest you rationalize before u post another fallasies.

Sophet, listen bro if u think we somali queens and kings are really lacking intellegence then why are u hanging around this beloved somalionline. I personally suggest u find ur sole. Nothing is wrong with as somalian, we are growing, learning just like any other culture. I hate when we put down our self. Just becuase u were here little more than others don't make u "Know it all "... go back to africa, if u dont have the money will fundraise it for u...cuz i think u are serously lacking ur culture.

x_quizit   

I agree that using big words doesn't attest to one's intelligence, but you should not be putting down those people who know their "p"s from "b". I dont understand people who continously murder the english language, with their jibberish, even though they ahve been here for as long as most of us.

For example, "pitch" means *****,"vascinating"= fascinating....etc...or grammar errors...u get the drift.

Those that use so call big words, it comes naturally, and are exhibiting their knowedge.

I can't speak for those who purposely use words even they dont understand,just to look better than others, but for the rest of us, who have a good grasp of the english language, we should be commended for our efforts, coming to a new land and learning the language perfectly isn't all that easy.

I also agree with you on the point that we shouldnt put ourselves down, since we're fairly new to the West, but its also healthy to point out to what can be changed in our society, what can we improve on.

Peace

ZOLA   

smile.gifsmile.gif ....nothing is better than simplicity..some people in here really need to go easy on the words...it aint ENGLISH COMP class people..lol

Those that use so call big words, it comes naturally, and are exhibiting their knowedge...TRUE.

A.A

A.A

Sophist   

I indubitably don't deem myself as a erudite neither do I avail myrself to cumbersome words that may not be comprehended by my fellow SOL readers. Perhaps this is so because I have been in Britain merely eight years! may be if I had been in this country longer I would have employed the alleged big words some of us cling to smile.gif

Sophist

Adna   

salaam

i'm with u guys on this cuz some times big words don't make no sense at all, ppl u need to take it easy on this cuz like malaika said

.nothing is better than simplicity..some people in here really need to go easy on the words...it aint ENGLISH COMP class people..lol

ppl need to accept the fact that nomatter how long u've been here u're still somali.. marka ka qaleeya dadka yar yar,,,, love you all

Com'on ladies and Gents whilst the point is true i dont think it merited a topic, and especially since the author chose to highlight a particular nomad.

Indeed i think some ppl could indeed brush up on the articulation and take good example from some of the undoubtable talented contributors we have here on S.O.L.

Liqaye   

Although it is true some pepole feel the more archaic the word the better and more impressive ones learning.

But i dont think it is the case with brother sophist.

I write as i talk, some times i dislike sounding repetetive and use several words for the same thing.

And although it is fashionable i dont talk like I was raised in a tupac CD or buckingham palace.

But why have you singled out one particular nomad :confused:

I am not singling anyone out. I am just stating that some people use too much big words. I been here quite a long time and i don't use it writing at a form. I am trying to get through my point not making it confusing. Remember here is Somalian Town. U want as to have good debate, u better then start looking as whole and including everyone. For some it comes naturaly, i can use it too, but what would make sense to the reader is something u have to keep in mind. Sophist, i am not singling u out. I thing u do bring good topics here, but tone it down ur complex words little. eg. "indubitably" is not word that we use it everyday. And u saying u been in england for 8 years. But i got love for all the nomads.

Remember, we here to have good debates and to show love, not to critizes....that won't help us.

enough love!

"

Ariadne   

This is amazing!

A topic was started for the sole purpose of criticizing those that are ariculate on this forum. It seems the author is not just ranting about the application of "big words", but that she has a bone to pick with a member and just one member.

Why not complain about the polar opposites

those that mutilate the language. That use awful grammar, write common slang and insist on misspelling everything.

Pyromaniac_Pixie , i don't merly care how one have bad spelling or bad grammer at least their massage is understood. If we pointed out every little misspelling then we would have start with you...it's not arculate but articulate...lol. Like i said i wasn't pointing fingers, just stating an opinion, i am sure some agree with me.

Again, don't come here to misread my point, i m not here to create tension.

FirstLady - Its understandable that some of the users tend to use words that they feel comfortable with just as much as you feel comfortable with what you say or words that you use.

I would however, try to refrain from attacking users just because you don’t understand what they are writing about.

Listen to all those who think they can come into here and use big words that come from dictionary or some century form 1800's......" .."Ur agruments don't even make sense.

(To you perhaps but to others it sure does...)

Why can't u use clear consise words..

What do you mean by clear concise words? Arent the words this gentleman uses not clear and concise? ".. I think anyone who is doing that is trying to be percived more knowledgable..."

(Ofcouse they are knowledgeable in what they are trying to write about otherwise they wouldn’t have even tried to post.....but certainly not better ...

"..I suggest you rationalize before u post another fallasies..."

(How can you sit there and judge what they are writing about when you can’t prove otherwise?

"..Sophet, listen bro if u think we somali queens and kings are really lacking intellegence then why are u hanging around this beloved somalionline.....

(...refrain from personal attacks please...

EVERYONE HERE IS ENTITLED TO VOICE THEIR OPINION AS LONG AS IT’S NOT ATTACKING ANYONE FOR THEIR STYLE OF WRITING.

Ariadne   

It's understandable that someone can misspell something once or twice. However, if every other word is spelled incorrectly, then how can you understand what they are saying?

Since you want to take apart my spelling mistakes...two can play at that game.

Pyromaniac_Pixie , i don't merly care how one have bad spelling or bad grammer at least their massage is understood.

I (ever heard of capitalization of the single I's) don't merely(not only a spelling mistake, but merely dosen't even belong in this sentence) care how one has bad spelling or bad grammar(grammar has an A not an E) at least their message is understood.

don't you mean...

I don't care if one uses bad grammar or bad spelling as as long as their message is understood.

If we pointed out every little misspelling then we would have start with you...it's not arculate but articulate...lol. Like i said i wasn't pointing fingers, just stating an opinion, i am sure some agree with me.

If we pointed out every little misspelling,(where's the coma? what they don't exist in your world?)then we would have to start with you. (isn't that the end of the sentence; meaning you end it with a period)It's (wheres that capital?)

not arculate,(got comas?)but articulate...lol.

Like I (repeat after me I is always capitalized) said I wasn't pointing fingers, just stating an opinion. I am sure some agree with me.

nuune   

LOL Pyromaniac_Pixie

basically,i don't have any problems reading big words,i guess no one does,but personally,i have never used bigwords,not even when iam speaking the english language,

Like i said, everyone of you got my point. That 's what matters. Anywayz, Prixe, babygirl, i thing ur grammer and spelling needs work as well.

this aint' a game but go head, please igive u access next time i make a post edit my work. aright.!

Zaylici   

Philosphers, whom I admire so much and being one of them, as I have degree in Philosophy, have long been interested in big words, the reason for this is not to belittle others, far from it, but rather big words have philosophical and sceintific function, how could you discuss the theort of relativity without necesserily using the following words, frame of reference, relative acceleration, vilocity, initial and final mass, natural light, spead of light, light phinominon, electromagnetic radiation, waves, parallel and perpendicular propagation of waves, twin paradox, in Politics, how could you discuss about politics without using, political community, constitution, quasi-natural transformation of constitutions and soceity, democracy, timocracy, aristocracy, econimic diversification, political modernisation, social mobilisation, clan identity,

So, my dear first lady, big words enable us to discuss things that ordinary langugage fails to facilitate. for those of us who are inclined to use such a complex language or the big words, may not aim to dehumanise others, on the contrary, people like sophists, are extremely concerned about the condition of the somali community, they do not intend, I suppose, First lady, to enhence their self esteam at the expanse of others, however, they may do so, without realising it. Morever, you are not advocating, young women, people to be the same in the manners of expression,are you?, you are not also denying that peole are different are you?, morever, I personally, as student of philosophy, prefer people to express themselves as they see fit, whether they speak in acedemic language or not, in other words, let the peole free, that is let them address their concerns as they think would work, however, I understand your concern and I agree with you that people should be reasonable in their mode of communication and should aim to help their readers understand.

I hope first lady, I did not offend you, for I do not like to make others unhappy, on the contrary,

I conciously, strive to not to harm other people's feeling and self-worth, and that is one of things, that makes me happy and continue to lead vertuous life, or shall we say a philosphic life.

so much for discussion.