Sign in to follow this  
Indhoos

Can You Live Without......?

Indhoos   

Good Day SOLers,

I was thinking about the new obsession with gadgets and technology. Five years ago, cell/mobile phones were rare and most people did not have one, yet today, almost all of us will go into a panic attack if we leave it at home for couple of hours. What is it that will happen as soon as we leave it at home NOW that was not happening back when we did not have cell phones?

We are not able to write e-mails lately, let alone letters, the question is always, "what's your cell number?"

Not only that, but we are brainwashed to upgrade constantly. Just the other day, I pulled out my 1995 dell laptop from my bag and a co-worker was beside himself, he exclaimed, "Oh my god! That thing needs to be in a museum!"

:mad: :mad: No it does not! It works perfectly fine, it has windows XP, USP Port, not to mention one for floppy disks, it has a Ethernet port as well as a wireless chip, So I am happy with it.

Yes they still make floppy disks and NO! I don't need to replace my cell phone, despite the fact that I have to use both hands to hold it against my ear; Why it works perfectly fine as well. I mean I can hear a dial tone, then dial the number I need to call and I can also hear the person on the other end just fine, so no need to replace it.

Don't get me started on what else is out there, I mean if you look at all the things that are labeled necessary and all the ones that are labeled hazardous, it is amazing humans have survived with or without to this far.

So dear SOLers, what is your take on all of these gadgets, granted most of them make life easier, but do you think you will be able to make it without the beloved gadgets and without upgrading constantly? :mad:

Just a thought, all onions are welcome…..Thank you in advance. smile.gif

PS. If you are about to ask me what is the point of this question, I will tell you that you are transgressing against my right to a fulfilling rant. redface.gif

The Zack   

^I am posting this from my Blackberry while running on the thread mill and listening to my favorite Somali qaaci on my Ipod touch. Life is much easier and efficient than it was 10 yrs ago.

The Zack   

^Can we live without them? Yes, we can. Is it gonna be inefficient, less fun and more frustrating? Darn yea! And of course I feel you when you said we used to NOT have these things a decade or so ago but now we are used to these things it is going be very very hard to live without 'em.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Indhoos:

Just the other day, I pulled out my 1995 dell laptop from my bag and a co-worker was beside himself, he exclaimed, "Oh my god! That thing needs to be in a museum!"

1995? Pls tell me that's a typo and you meant to write 2005? PLS!!! If not, YES THE DAMN THING BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!! :D

I used to think I couldn't live without my laptop, till I found a new obsession with USB sticks...Now I can't live without my Corsair 32GB flash drive...I keep all my important docs, photos, music, etc...Yaaba rabo laptop iyo culeeskiisa iyo garab jabintiisa?

Cell phone is also another I couldn't live without...Hell no!!! Aduunka waxaanba unecbahay, when I am picking up someone, to get off the car to puzz them...At times though, I wonder if it is really meant to keep our lives easier or the other way around...Specially when I leave it at home and need to call someone, I am so used to dailing numbers from the directory that I hardly know anyone's phone number by heart... :( Maskaxdii buu slowly fuundo ka dhigayaa...

Indhoos   

^^^Alla stop dissing my beloved Dino (short for dinosaur). I meant 1995...

The lovely USBs, What if you were to loose it?

I pray that you don't, walaahi...

Maskax fuundaa along with induced laziness...Gambaleel ka xitaa waa laga wahsanaa haye? Alla Hooyooy!

I've learned to truly despise cellphones.

I used to work on call support for a 24/7 Datacenter

the damn phone would go off at the worst hours of the night.

That is when I started to leave both Work and personal cellphones at home on weekends and holidays.

No, I cant live without! People love new technology. Gadgets are the products of this technology and thanks to the new technology our everyday is alot more easier and convenient for us than previous years. So when your co-worker said to you "that thing needs to be in a museum!" he was somehow right when benchmarked against today's ones. There is not that much you can do with a 1995 Dell laptop apart from that you can of course at least check your emails, surf the net or do small tasks it comes very very heavy, probably with overheating problems, smaller chip & HD, with certainly not expandable memory. With the newer laptops you can do alot more than 1995 ones, very powerful, very light and let alone all the new features and built-in wireless capability. ...and the phones, you know for instance a 1995 NOKIA 5110 no way it can be compared to the lets say 2009 NOKIA 5800 Express Music. One is just deadly dull phone nothing more whereas the other one infact is more than a phone (internet, MP3, Video, messaging system and so on). So Indhos, dont let yourself stuck somewhere 90s la jaan qaad ee dadku yaanu kaa tegin. smile.gif

I remember when we finished a 4 months course in 1994 on the Wordspread, DB+++, Lotus and so on ,,,, , we sat for the exams and the day when we came to collect our certificates ,,,,, Hmmmmmm ,,,

There was a call .......... No more this Sh!tt ,,, There is Windows now ! ! ! ! ,, we had to start again ,,,, damn it

Hell yeah ,,,,,,,,, i can see floppy disks are just history ,,,,,

Well I personally live witout a mobile any way and my laptop broke a year-ago and I still haven't got round to fixing it, I use others in the mean time. But to answer your question yes you can live without the essential 21st century goods but my life find as a result is highly disorganised, random and very unpredictable. I think its because on some unconscious (conscious) level I don't like being accessible all the time and these products make you more reachable. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned mystery search/visit?

i use it but i am not a tech-slave. that means, during work and sleep time, i am off line. my cell is muted, my aim is away, and my wife can text or leave a msg.

i usually call her back depending on her previous day behavior.

Originally posted by The_Siren:

my laptop broke a year-ago and I still haven't got round to fixing it, I use others in the mean time.

:D:D ,,,, U still use it dee whether it is yours or your friends ,,, lol

1995 THAT HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE! I LAUGHED SO HARD! Walahi I'm finding it hard to believe. Seriously did they make laptops in 1995? Even if they did, it must weight at least a ton? Please, for the sake of your health, upgrade! But whatever you do, don't give it away to a museum, leave it to your kids. It must be worth ££££ already, imagine what it'll be worth when you die! :D

I have a MBP, a DSLR and my (old-fashioned) Nokia 1100 mobile phone and these are the 3 gadgets I like the most. Especially the first one, it's like my child. I also have an iPod but I've been without it for 2 months because_I_bloody_rea lized_I_had_left_it_ home_at_the_freakum_ airport! :mad: At least it taught me I can be without it! smile.gif

I going to get a touch phone, but not a Blackberry or an iPhone (forget Nokia, it's going down - both quality and stock wise). I've been saving up summer earnings for the odd freak that is HTC Hero. It looks perfectly weird for my taste and is arguably the best phone there is on the market at the moment.

Juxa   

i can live without cellphones, in fact i did few years ago, i was without phone for 9 months.

now i carry to phones:( truely taken over by gasacyadaan.