Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Hair-raising topic

Ibtisam   

Cut you hair, cut them really short. It is great. I cut mine mostly all off and now I love my hair. Takes me half the time to wash and sort them out. I feel like doing an advert for short hair. IT is great!! I'm never going back to the maadax xuun of managing long long hair. Shid house, waa freedom. I can even do wash and go now. hehe

Chimera   

I wash my hair once a week, every Sunday. This will be the reason why my hair is still going to be nice when i'm 45 compared to the rest of you guys in this topic who will be bald with your homemade remedies and daily hairwashing :D

I have a theory: Somali men have better hair than Somali women. :D

This theory is 12 years old: It was early morning on the special day of Eid when young Adam noticed his female siblings screaming in agony while Hoyoo combed their hair, his female siblings then observed how smoothly the comb went through little Adam's hair who quikly processed 'why' he was surrounded by several pairs of 'evil eyes'

yep sound theory :D

Aaliyyah   

LOL ADAM thanks for the laugh.

ibti my hair is a lil bit under my shoulder and it took me forever to get them to that length. My hair grows at a very slow rate so no waa diiday I wont cut them. Give me more suggestions though as to how to grow them even longer. I want them to be all the way down to my back inshallah..

salaam

Ibtisam   

^^^My dear, believe me when I say you really don’t' want long hair, let alone past your backside. It was a nightmare. Imagine planning when you will have enough time to wash your hair and dry them. And your hands get tired, you have to schedule in a break in between washing, drying and brushing them. :D LOL.

But since you asked, what you need to do to grow them long:

1) Wash your hair and condition them ONLY once or twice a week. (more than that will make your hair thin and fall out)

2)Use a light cream/ oil.

3) Don't tie your hair too tight, and if you wear a hijab, tuck in the ends of your hair so it does not touch the material you are wearing as a hijab (put them in a bun) (otherwise you will get dead ends and will have to keep cutting them.

4) Wear nice material hijab, silk, cotton silk, vesicos. Avoid cotton or heavy/ harsh material.

5) Wrap your hair when you go to bed with a small silk scarf.

6) Don't use chemicals, don't colour them or blow dry them or straighten them, or use Iron. Keep it natural always.

smile.gif

-Lily-   

Has anyone tried Toni & Guy? I’ve heard great reviews about it (from ppl with similar hair). I’ve always thought they were for Caucasian hair, and before you ask, yes they do black ppl’s hair, if it’s natural and untreated!

-Lily-   

^^ I thought it would a nice alternative to tonging and hair buring! So you suggest any salon for cut/blow dry/volume?

WILDCAT   

Not too bothered with worrying about hair... when it gets too much, I just chop it all off.

Right now, I don't have my usual hairdresser, so I've been letting it grow, and it's finally reached my shoulders. I don't mind looking feminine for the summer - so that's cool.

I find too frequent washing makes my hair less manageable - so I stick with a shampoo and 10 minute conditioning treatment about once every 5 days.

I brush it twice a day, in the morning, then before bed - keeps it tangle-free without my having to fiddle around with hairdryers or flat irons - I'm terrified I'll singe off one of my ears with those.

Started using a new shampoo. My scalp will not stop itching! Back to what works!

Fu-fu, drop a monkey onto your shoulders. It'll take care of the rest. :D

Malika   

^It doesnt work for everybody Aveda didnt work for me at all,as Sheh said find something that works and stick to it.

I currently do NOT remove my scarf when there is company .. redface.gif ,my hair resembles my garden,uncut,wild and unmanageable.. redface.gif ..To think once I was nicknamed after my long,healthy,bouncy hair!! :(:D

WILDCAT   

Certainly, some ranges of Aveda work better on certain types of hair more than others. That's why they're so good actually - the large choice of products. There are at least half a dozen different ranges - each with completely different active ingredients. My own hair prefers the Sap Moss line. Whereas the range my mother uses and raves about, dries me out. I do think it's worth trying a tester from each range and see what you take to. Dismissing the whole brand because you tried one, is shooting yourself in the foot, if your hair needs as much help as you say it does.

I've never heard people become as loyal to a product as they do Aveda, once they zone in on the right line for them, that is. Something to it. smile.gif