Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Hair-raising topic

Hair. There is no escaping it even when it's escaping you.

How do you:

wash yours and with what products?

condition them?

manage frizz, fuzz, mania?

When you go to bed do you look like:

leia_headshot.jpg

Does anybody bother with these anymore?:

hair-curled.jpg

Does henna do anything other than rust your scalp?

And last but not least, what do you do about these?

abr0505l.jpg

How do you:

wash yours and with what products?

condition them?

manage frizz, fuzz, mania?

- Twice/three times a week with Motions products (with some Dove and Aveda products mixed in)

- Motions again - I like their oil moisturising conditioner (when in need of an emergengy fix, I use Aveda reconstructive conditioner - it feels and smells divine but it's too pricey to use more than once a month).

- Frizz and fuzz is fixed with an assortment of products (too many to list) that have accumulated in the bathroom. :D

I have a short bob, so its all very easy to manage. When I want glossy, dead-straight locks, I visit my local Rush salon for a cut and blowdry, otherwise my GHD straightener keeps BHDs at bay.

My afro is so thick, it's been mistaken for a nest a time or two. :D ( no, really!)

I like the smell of Herbal Essense and Garnier Fructis Shampoos...but I really can't tell how one shampoo/conditioner is better than the other. All I care about is that it cleans my hair - I don't see any other benefits.

If only shaved head on a woman looked good. :mad:

P.S. Sheh - I've never tried rollers...they looked awfully painful. But I do sometimes (when I'm not too lazy) duubduub (roll?) it into four or eight corners and cover it with a masar. In the morning, it's curly and gorgeous.

Originally posted by Scarlet:

P.S. Sheh - I've never tried rollers...they looked awfully painful. But I do sometimes (when I'm not too lazy) duubduub (roll?) it into four or eight corners and cover it with a masar. In the morning, it's curly and gorgeous.

We have our first confession! :D

U have to have a beautiful face to carry off no hair.

Herbal Essences conditioner seems to be working for my hair at the mo. I never used to try it as I couldn't/still can't abide their orgasm-related commercials! How many more years will they use that? Iff.

Don't remember rollers being painful but they do work. I can't be bothered with them, my hair's too long for that palaver and my patience too short.

I've stopped using shampoo and use good old-fashioned, unscented olive oil soap- the more rustic the better. My hair has grown far too long for my own good as a result but has thrived on it. A conditioner is necessary though as soap is drying. My hair is in far better condition now that its not being weighed down by all that crap in shampoos.

I also use Almond oil, sometimes olive(greasy or what!) to give them a much-needed boost. Like yesterday which was a very, very bad hair day. So bad, I wanted to shave my head. Again.

Naden   
Originally posted by sheherazade:

I've stopped using shampoo and use good old-fashioned, unscented olive oil soap- the more rustic the better.

Olive oil soap, huh? I might just try it. I'm using Nexxus products now, their Humectress conditioner is great. My hair is long, curly, and thick, straight and frizzy in some areas. My head has 3 different hair types in one. The last time I was at a hair salon, I had all the stylists there working to get it in rollers and then straightened with a blow dryer :rolleyes: , it's like man against beast. With summer coming, I'm thinking of cropping it like I did when I was in uni. I got sick of the limited black hair care products available. All that smell and grease, all it's missing is bariis and suqaar.

J.Lee   

Wash:

Garnier's Fortifying: shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner.

I chopped off my hair awhile back (I was having a "waiting to exhale" moment). so I usually either style it @ the salon when I have somewhere to go or just finger through it and mix couple of products together to create a nice rounded curly 'fro.

boondocks_huey_02.jpg

I have a little problem though, a year ago I dyed my hair bronze, I waited a while and dyed it black again then I cut it ala Halle's style. My hair grew back but I still have some reddish tint in my hair.

How can I get rid of it without having to dye my hair again?

Cara.   

I thought I was the only one to do the trick with the duuduub before bedtime. I wash with Pantene 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner most days, but sometimes also use additional conditioner to comb through hair. I use a little hair gel and some leave in conditioner (Pantene) after my hair is dry and duuduub into lots of little sections. The next day, comb through with fingers and voila! Salon-style curls.

'Course, I do that maybe once a month. Most of the time I wash my hair 15 minutes before rushing out the door so what starts out as cute curls is a frizzy mess by the end of the day.

-Lily-   

Well, unfortunatley I have stopped using all that nice fancy stuff. I have really sensitive scalp so I only use semi-medicated special range. It's simple and cleansing and most importantly doesnt make my scalp feel like it's on fire.

I like using rollers because I'm not really a stright hair girl. Blow dry, use a range of big & small rollers, spray with Olive Oil nurishing hair spray wich makes your hair nice and shiny. But again, cannot overdose on the stuff due to sensitive scalp.

Love the Salon whenever I can go.

Modesty   

I use Fructis Shampoos,I hate pantene now since it gives my hair dandruff. I wash my hair every 3 weeks, blow dry it when I wash it, use good grease, oil makes my hair frizzy. Of course, when I go to sleep I duudub it into sections and cover with a soft scarf. I usually don't do anything fancy to my hair, I just pull it back into a little bun. I never really have bad hair days, I'm always doing my hair...I love my hair. smile.gif

Miriam1   

^ every three weeks...interesting..

I have a thing about washing my hair..its a stress releaver, I get crazy headaches atleast once a day...cold water through on my head just calms everything down. however tis taking a toll on my hair.I use to have thick black hair..that is well becoming anything but thick and black now..more like a dull black..so the remedy i am trying to use now is lots of olive oil,nice little braids limiting washing my hair to atleast every other day.

Olive Oil? My mom keeps at me to try but I'm like 'Now way. Olive Oil is for my food'. Besides, I don't care for the smell.

Whats so good about it? And about the hair washing thing, it depends on what kind of hair you have. Some people it's a couple times a week and others twice a month. I'm somewhere in the middle - too much work.

Nephissa   

I use Matrix line it really works to give shine & a sleek look (very good stuff.) I've also tried Garnier (fructis), smells great and leaves the hair soft and managable.

Scar, olive oil stinks yeah but smother your hair in it for a few hours, hover the hell out of the carpets, wash the blo*dy dishes, post on forums(love the online community, they don't judge on looks) and wash it out. Or go to sleep- even better. Mind the pillows though. Voila, conditioned locks. Got sick of coconut oil- childhood memories of greasy school mates- u couldn't touch them without coming back with an oily hand. I had enough on my own head, thanks!

Scar, olive oil has medicinal properties, no? Hold your breath and enjoy its benefits. And don't forget to massage that scalp. I started using almond oil because- blame my mother- cause it was there and found it unsmelly yet moisturising. Just googled it and it's recommended for hair and dry skin. I remember slapping it on face too(a figure of speech).

Washing every 3 weeks, Modesty- no itching, smelling(that would be a no-no for me)?

Jawahir, that doesn't sound good about the headaches, may be u have tense neck muscles- used to give me very regular headaches too. I go to the toilets and stretch- that's what the mirror is there for for me. smile.gif

Naden, I was hoping someone would mention some black hair products that aren't overwhelming. I've given up on shampoo, it drags my hair down and makes me look like a oh-I-don't-know a small creature with a bad fur day at the swamp. The soap strips my hair of everything and the conditioner gives it enough moisture to make it manageable. Frizz has become much less of a problem. The more products I put on the quicker the hair gets dirty- all that build-up of products.

Cara u don't have to wait till bedtime for some duuduubin lovin for your hair. U should see me now. Scary. I don't know how men who haven't had sisters cope when they marry, really.

Faheema.   

I've been using TRESemmé Shampoo & Conditioner for a while and it seems to do the trick smile.gif and for quick result on Straight/Curly...I use the Sunsilk Easy Straightening/Curl Booster Cream depending on my mood :D

Did someone say they can go 3 weeks without washing their hair? Ayayaa.

My mum is a die-hard fan of olive oil as well. I don't use it often, it's far too greasy and it completely destroys pillow-cases. But occasionally, I do soak my hair in Olive oil and leave it on overnight.

Speaking of grease, have any of you tried La India? It's an olive oil grease that makes hair look really glossy and amazing, but it tends to leave massive grease stains on your clothes and anywhere you place your head. I don't use it any longer as it weighs my hair down too much, but it's great for long hair.