Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Hair-raising topic

Saalixa   

DUUDUUB everynight ????????

you guys must have all the time at night.Being a student means me goes to bed at 11 pm nearly everynight

so by that time i am usually doing to moon walk bumping to places while sweet bed calls me for soft sleep and i just walk and sleep

no duuduub

no fancy brushing

Wearing no masar or garbasaar

just straight to bed.

i wish i had the time to though ir do i need to be more of GABADH GAARI AH? ALAAH GARAN MAAYO

Sheherzade i use ....opps i forgot the name i dont pay much attention to it anyway I think the last one we bought was V05 boosts the volume of my hair. BUT waht i would like to ask is how do you get rid of dandruff? No shampoo on earth worked for me to get rid of it.

No duubduub every night but mine r long so I have to control them in some way. I have been known to try and get out of bed, with an unknown elbow in own hair and return hurtling back to pillow with a sprained neck. Not the best way to start the day.

Don't know what to recommend for dandruff. I am having an attack right now, ax. Better weather means better hair, skin and scalp. Another reason to move....

Has anybody slathered good old Hellmans Mayo on hair? And henna, any negatives?

nafta   

Mayo and olive oil? I've heard of hair-food but really that's taking it a bit too literal?

I've been using KeraCare Shampoo & Conditioner for couple years now. My hairdresser introduced to it and it's actually really good. After washing your hair with the shampoo you won't even have to use the conditioner!

You can find it in most Afro-hair shops, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. Give it a go. (My family and friends are devout users of the product now).

Also, I don't do the duub-duub, I braid it instead for a more messy look.

BTW...don't be misled into thinking that I actually love my hair. I have abused it more than once, and as a result had to shave it all off. Not even a little fluff, but a shiny scalp.

I wish it would run off to a more deserving owner, cuz it's actually nice.

Modesty   

Rayaana, I used to have the same dandruff problem, then I stopped using my conditioner, and it worked. I'm always experimenting with some stuff. Maybe try that and let me know how it works out.

Naden   

Has anybody slathered good old Hellmans Mayo on hair? And henna, any negatives?

Sheh,

Mayo is great every once in a while. Just add an egg and keep it on for a few hours and you get some shine. Henna is just evil for my hair. I have the prototypical Somali hair with frizz and tangling and one application of henna made it impossible to comb. Sumama bi*tch :mad: . Some people hail it but it turned my hair into a ball of wires.

I want to colour my hair for the first time ever. I'd like to make it black (again?). The sun seems to have made them lose some of their lustre and a few grey hairs need to be dealt with :rolleyes: . Recommendations anyone?

Nafta experimenting with food substances might not be so bad. Read this article. Although I think some of the suggestions are hrazy mrazy.

Olive Oil In Your Beauty Routine?

By: Melissa Eaton

We all know that olive oil is wonderful and healthy for us to cook with, but what about its other uses? Truthfully, olive oil is another main ingredient in several beauty products you can buy on the shelf. See for yourself how you can make your own skin cocktails and save a little money at the same time.

1. A mixture of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, & 1/4 cup water used as a night cream will make your skin glow. The olive oil softens and moisturizes and the vinegar lightens discolorations, kills bacteria and loosens dead skin cells. Splash water on your face before applying.

2. Olive oil can be used as cleansing cream if your skin is dry.

3. For a facial, wet face thoroughly, then massage olive oil into your skin. Use about a half teaspoon of sugar and scrub your face with that, then wipe off gently with a warm, wet cloth until the sugar is all gone.

4. Use olive oil on your feet with clean white cotton socks. Helps to soften up you feet and it absorbs better than baby oil.

5. It seems when you pour olive oil out there is always a drip, so wipe it up with your hand and rub it in to your elbows. Wonderful softening properties.

6. Use olive oil as bath oil. Two to three tablespoons will do the trick.

7. Use olive oil for your hair. Not only does it condition, but it also gets rid of the frizz. Put a small drop into your palm & then rub both hands together & apply it to dry hair.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/me_oliveoil.html

ZOLA   

Naden...if you are coloring your hair at home..use a semi-permanent hair color. their less harsh on the hair and come off after a couple of washes(about 2 to 3 months). make sure you deep condition your hair often. i have been coloring my hair for a couple of years now and semi-permanent hair colors work for me. if you live in the States you can find good colors at Sally Beauty store..

A.A

Naden   

Malaika, thanks. I like the idea of having the colour come out in a few weeks. I might even go nuts and try a colour other than black.

Lost-One   

I used to be a major Olive oil fan but it is pungent. But then I discovered a brand called Organic room simulator Olive oil and it smells lovely! But it's not completely oil based so don't smother your hair with it or it'll look just washed, just apply a small amount when your hair looks like it needs some oil.

Personally I love setting my hair with rollers they’re the best thing, they give my hair loads of volume and I have plenty of soft curls. But I think the key to gorgeous looking hair is the conditioning after washing…as black women like us need oil in our hair for it to look healthy unlike white and Asian women who wash as soon as it look remotely greasy. I use Dove shampoo because I just love dove products especially the body washes, but to be honest their shampoos aren’t that great but a shampoo with condition will do. Then you need to invest in some hair cholesterol dark and lovely does the best! You smother your hair with it and leave it in for 5 mins and then wash it out and you can feel the difference. I sometimes spray in a leave in conditioner they while my hair is still wet, pat your hair dry and place in rollers.

If your hair need some drastic measures get yourself some HOT OIL it’s a definite quick fix on bad hair days!

But honestly women...how frequently should you wash your hair? considering our hair texture.

for those of you that cover their hair regularly, do you find the hair that comes into contact with the cover is of a worse quality than the rest? Any idea what kind of head cover material is best for hair?

I'm bored and can't stop fiddling with my hair trying to work out if I have a couple of different hair types or if the top level is being destroyed by the hijab. :confused:

Aaliyyah   

I don't think it matters so much, any type of hijab would do. Just make sure you wear a small under piece under your hijab that way your hair will stay intact.

hope that helps smile.gif

Cara.   

I wear a hoodie a lot (am wearing one now, at home). I never thought about it but my hair is frizzier on top.

Does anyone know how to French-braid their own hair?

Aaliyah, intact as in it won't escape out around the face? Isn't that what tightening the hair back is for? LoL. While we're on the subject of using a smaller layer underneath- do you have that go across the tips of your ears? Every time I try it it makes me wince but I like the two-layered look- seems to suit me.

Cara, I used to once when I was a teenager but can't muster up any desire anymore. Something about all the practise I needed to do...

Aaliyyah   

I thought you wanted a hijaab material that is good for your hair. I assumed your hair might be like mine, if i wear hijaab alone my hair comes out easily even if i tie my hair back, my hair is just too soft so i usually wear my underpiece.

Anyways, the small underpiece you can always put behind your ears or just the tip of ur ear. either way works...

Cara, here goes a video for french braiding ....

french braiding