Cara.

South Africa's football 'grannies' look to World Cup

Cara.   

This made my day. I would be afraid to go against these ayeeyo :D

--------------

_46845773_useasmain.jpg

By Pumza Fihlani

BBC News, Nkowankowa, Limpopo

Vakhegula Vakhegula in South Africa's Limpopo Province is not your average soccer team - with the oldest member of the team aged 83, this team of grannies says soccer has given them their lives back.

The team, with close to 40 members, meets twice a week for an hour's practice. During this time, they are not just grandmothers with families to feed, but local football stars.

With the 2010 World Cup drawing closer, excitement about the event is building in South Africa. Many people hope to benefit from, or play some role in, the football spectacular.

The "grannies" are no exception. They had hoped to play a curtain-raiser during the competition, but the South African Football Association explained that only teams that had officially qualified were allowed to play.

This, however, has not dampened their spirits.

They say they are looking forward to learning a few tricks from the international players.

"We all can't wait for the World Cup. I pray every day that God will keep us. It will be a good time for us as soccer players and South Africans," says 68-year-old Mudjadji Makondo, one of the strikers.

Vakhegula Vakhegula means "grannies" in the local language Xitshonga.

These women may be old, but they play with the passion of youngsters.

One of the mid-fielders is nicknamed Maradona, after the international football star.

Her real name is Chrestina Machede.

She says her antics and passion on the field earned her the name.

"Soccer for me relieves stress. I suffer from hypertension but since I started playing soccer I have become healthier. I even sleep better at night," she says.

Sixty-one-year-old Ms Machabe has been playing soccer for the past two years, and she says she has no plans to stop any time soon.

They meet on a dusty field in Nkowankowa township, which is about 80km (50 miles) from Polokwane, where one of the 2010 World Cup matches will be played.

Her team-mate, 83-year-old Nora Makhubela, has survived six strokes and says kicking a ball has given her a new lease on life.

Ms Makhubela is not as fast as the younger players on the field, but she does not let that stop her from going after the ball with all she has.

"I feel that I am fitter than some women half my age because of the exercise I get every week. I am becoming stronger and stronger," she says with a smile forming on her wrinkled face.

Field of unity

Off the pitch, these women are pensioners, domestic workers and some street vendors, who sell anything from hand-made crafts to fruit and vegetables.

Reineth Mushwana, 59, says soccer has united young and old in this poor community.

"This has brought us together. We play with the youngsters and have fun together. We encourage them to play soccer because they might be our next soccer stars."

Family support is also important to these women.

"They come and watch us practising and then they attend our matches. This makes me very happy," beams Ms Makondo.

The team was set up in 2006 by cancer survivor Beka Ntsanwisi.

She says the idea came after she saw scores of old women suffering from chronic illnesses waiting in queues in clinics.

"I was receiving treatment for lung cancer at the time," she says. "Each time I went to the clinic I saw large numbers of grannies with diseases such as hypertension, arthritis and diabetes. I knew I had to do something.

"The doctors would tell me that even though was receiving treatment, I still needed to keep fit. I then decided to invite older women in my community to be part of a soccer club so we could exercise together."

Linkie

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by Cara.:

This made my day. I would be afraid to go against these ayeeyo
:D

Heheheh. awoowe must be hiding in somewhere now :D

chubacka   

They say they are looking forward to learning a few tricks from the international players..

Probably the coolest grannies in the world.

Malika   

There is something uplifting about kicking a ball around,I urge women to give it a go,it is fun..

As for the ayeyos,bless them!..lol