Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

PBS Frontline - The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan

STOIC   

I thought this sort of things happened in Fiction alone (Does the Kite Runner ring a bell here?) Truthfully Every society can be bankrupt of any general moral principles and values.No one society is the free and adored center of values.Where is the Taliban when you need them?

Heh?

STOIC   

^ I guess they are in the same league with the catholic priests.Preying on little poor boys is totally wrong in all cultures.They totter on the brink of darkness ......Nacala kutalaa

STOIC   

^I think It was banned when the Taliban were in power.I guess it has re-emerged after the Taliban lost power.I wonder how the self-righteous men and women of Afghanistan can tolerate with smugness this illicit sex trade?

STOIC   

^ The praying man caught me off-guard, but I guess to each his own...I read the fictional story in Kite Runner, but I was surprised shit happens in real life!

^Growing up in Pakistan, I came to know and understand the Afghan culture and that of the Indian Sub-Continent. There are many horrifying practices. These practices predate Islam.These cultures make the Somali culture million times over more attractive.

P.S. Owning these adolescent boys is symbol of status.

STOIC   

^ They sure do have agonizing and terrifying fantasies in their culture...I hate to view their culture from this single practice, but I just can't help to torn out this from its cultural significance and label it as immoral....Alhamdulilah our culture with all its shortcomings we don't entertain these acts...

Sensei   

Men : In spite of all the difficulties we have had, we still are to be thankful for many blessings. I couldn't finish the show, I got the gist and had no appetite for any further details of such abomination.

I too having lived in Pakistan was aware of the transvestite issues, but never of this awful Bacha Bazi practice or the extent of its practice. I guess, I first came across this on The kite Runner; at which time I had dismissed the idea as another inflated propaganda. But actually having watched(last night) what would otherwise seem a religious man commit and profit from such a crime against young vulnerable beings. Shame! Shame!

It is awful, simply awful man.

does anyone see a correlation between the treatment of woman and pedophilia. Vatican is a man's only or almost and we see all the news about the abuse of children all over the world. Afghans keep there woman in tent like burqas and you get this...

Jacpher   

^Burqa causes pedophilia. How about apes and blacks. Any correlation?

Sxb pedophilia knows not land, culture, color, religion or boundary. Your zip code probably has one or more of them and I don't think any burqas there.

walaahi. Strange. Yuu caawa raacaa kuye. Acuudka.

Abtigiis   

My afghani collegue read this thread and below is his message:

"some (in SOL) say, Taliban has banned this practice when they were in power. Afghanistan laws have never permitted this practice, but people have been doing it even during the Taliban era. post this on the site. "

I also confirm that he told me about the existence of this practice when I asked him some time ago after reading the kite runner.

Like any educated Afghani, he opposes it and thinks it is one of the many social evils of his society.