Sign in to follow this  
Naden

Restorative justice....nomad style

Naden   

So, a friend mentioned in passing that a young Somali guy (about 18 or 19 years old) who assaulted another young Somali guy is now safely back home while assault charges are pending. This is probably the 2nd or 3rd time I hear about this type of alternative justice. As someone who finds accounts of prisons in any North American city horrific, I'm usually worried about a nomad being put away in one.

What do you think should be done to these folks?

1. Let them go to jail here, who wants to see a criminal escape punishment?

2. Let them go to jail here. Let me know where they're going.I have family back home and I don't want imported psychos there. :eek:

3. Send them home. Prisons here are wretched and wound the soul.

4. Send them home. Maybe the difficult life would rehabilitate them.

5. What do I care? :mad: :mad: Goddamn felon nomad piece of shit!

Blessed   

2. Let them go to jail here. Let me know where they're going. I have family back home and I don't want imported psychos there?

A person should pay for the crimes they commit. Full stop!

Castro   

Originally posted by naden:

5. What do I care? :mad: :mad: Goddamn felon nomad piece of shit!

Ah Naden. You took the words right outta my mouth. I'd have him locked up right here. Once he's Bubba's girlfriend for a few months, he'll learn not to assault people.

Naden   

:D:D Castro, I'm all for justice too.

Makes me think us Somalis may never have a truth and reconciliation tribunal for war crimes as long as criminals have their own underground railroad.

Originally posted by Castro:

Ah Naden. You took the words right outta my mouth. I'd have him locked up right here. Once he's Bubba's girlfriend for a few months, he'll learn not to assault people. [/QB]

Castro   

Islam is clear on aggression and aggressors. This whole save-my-kid-when-he-brutalizes-another-kid-by-sending-him-to-Somalia sends a terrible message to kids. When I'm done beating the crap out of my kid for misbehaving, I'll release the hounds on them. :cool:

I voted for the first. If you do the deeds, you should do the time. And I agree this whole business of sending incriminated kinfolk back home is testament to the moral bankruptcy of Somali society.

Baashi   

Child molestors and murderers should do time in the helhole of American prison system. All other petty criminals send them home. I have a hard time accepting a Muslim kid getting raped repeatedly in prison.

I did some soul searching on this issue and concluded that making a homosexual slave and crack addict out of petty criminals is a crime in itself. I wouldn't object having them serve prison time for what they have done. That's completely fair. But that is not the whole story.

^^ Hmm...I have never considered it from that aspect. *Wonders if homosexuality is/was rife in Somali prisons as well*

What about the career criminals? Those who don't quit, no matter how many chances they are given?

As I see it, no-one makes much of a special effort in transporting their relative out of the country if the crime is petty, they make the effort if it's a major one tho. Rapists and murders are the ones who get away with it.

Maf Kees   

^ No this kind of masochist behaviour isn't prevalent in Somali prisons. Jailrape has nothing to do with homosexuality, its a weapon. Somalis don't understand that. Besides I read a book by a Somali author who would describe his accounts in both Somali and Ethiopian prisons. Very interesting.

What a dilemma. If we're talking murder and rape here: the kid needs to do the time for this kind of crime. No question!

But like Baashi I have a hard time knowing that a muslim brother gets repeatedly molested and raped in prison. African-Americans are running the show in that world and we are all aware of the existing tensions between AAs and Somali newcomers. That combined with the possibility that the Farah rehabilitates in Somalia and strenghten his diin, makes sending the Farah to the homeland not such a bad idea.

But Naden's case is about assault and battery charges. This Farah, still a teenager, could qualify for being sent to Somalia. Now hold up, don't think he gets off the hook that easily. Seeing how he squandered the possibility to make something of himself and spending his time in Somalia!?! of all countries is punishment enough.

That's how I feel...

Viking   

Originally posted by Castro:

Islam is clear on aggression and aggressors. This whole save-my-kid-when-he-brutalizes-another-kid-by-sending-him-to-Somalia sends a terrible message to kids. When I'm done beating the crap out of my kid for misbehaving, I'll release the hounds on them. :cool:

Castro,

There was a time when a rich woman in Arabia did a crime and people were trying to excuse it somehow. The Prophet PBUH said that in the past people were destroyed because when injustice was committed by someone of a high rank, they were spared, and if it was someone of a low rank they were punished. He swore that if Fatima RA his own daughter had committed a crime he wouldn't hesitate to have her punished. Obviously Saudi Arabia and even Somalis don't act Islamically when it comes to punishing one of their own.

Baashi   

Viking is right on one thing and that's the Islamic position on criminals. That being said, American criminal system is not prophet's vision of justice unless one is willing to stretch the issue beyond recognition.

At issue is taking in a kid who, for instance, stabbed another kid and turn him a monster in few years time and release him back to the same neighborhood. I take issue with that. Is he wrong? yes Should he pay for his crime? Absolutely.

Now the idea of punishing this kid by having him raped and converted to crack addict for what he has done is wrong. If the system can gaurantee that the justice is not only limited to the outside walls of prison but it is also served in prison then I'm all for it.

I'm not willing in good conscience to turn my kid or any other Muslim kid to become a wify for a bigger stronger full of muscle group of criminals. Reform criminal justice system and make it a place where those who are doing time get justice.

Not my kid. No way.

Blessed   

Danyer,

Besides I read a book by a Somali author who would describe his accounts in both Somali and Ethiopian prisons. Very interesting.

I'm interested in this book, can you tell me the title of the book and authors name. Thanks.

Naden   

I struggle with the thought of a petty thief being turned into a hardened criminal in a North American prison as well. As someone mentioned above, this type of escape is not really done for someone with a petty criminal past.

However, I have heard of a Somali man who demonstrated depraved, predatory behaviour and raped several young Somali girls (some children). He, too, got a free ticket to Djibouti and there Somalia from then on. Apparently, he was facing life in prison.

I was horrified because someone like him is probably beyond rehabilitation and will brutalize more children in Somalia, and probably get away with it for some time given the serious taboo associated with rape :( .

Maf Kees   

Originally posted by Blessed:

Danyer,

quote:

Besides I read a book by a Somali author who would describe his accounts in both Somali and Ethiopian prisons. Very interesting.

I'm interested in this book, can you tell me the title of the book and authors name. Thanks.
The book is called Noloshu waa dhalanteed by Ahmed Salad Ganey. It's an autobiography and a very funny one too. His stories are hilarious. Especially when he describes his days in an Ethiopian prison. Each cell housed 10 to 20 men and a newcomer would be a marti the first few weeks provided that he entertains his new 'roommates' (most of them Somali political prisoners) with news from the outside world, stories, jokes and most importantly songs. After that (when he probably runs out of material) no more VIP treatment and he has to do his share of cleaning the cell and cooking the food with the group.

The Somali prisons in contrast were like hell. Loneliness and beatings by Ciidamada Asluubta made sure that inmates would leave the prison with serious damage to their mental and physical health. If they don't get killed that is. The German-made Labaatan Jirrow Prison in Bakool and Godka Prison (Hellhole) were famous. Specially designed for political dissidents. It's despicable that murderers and rapists in Somalia prior to the collapse of the nation were treated better by the Somali justice system than rebels with a noble cause. The former were even awarded and became Guulwadayaal (Victory Pioneers) and were encouraged to continue their business but now with a license to do it.