Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Proposal! Is it doable nomads?

Khalaf   

Castro brother, I totally agree with u. The situation of our ppl is not one of clan, and most of us in the west don't give damn about clan. All somalis are brethren.

There is huge issue of trust though. Our culture amazes me, say I want to donate just for the intention to help ppl, and I ask others to donate in a region in somalia any region, the question will be why there? And not this region which is another qabil, and I agree okay with them, someone else will jump in with the same claims.

I really think we should be careful with western aid organizations and giving our money to them to help our brethren or giving money and not knowing wheres its going. We all know about the corruptions.

There must be a concrete response. Donating money to feed the ppl will not help, since they will always be dependent on a hand out. Is better to find a way which the people can be independent, build infrastructure donate money to buy cattle, land ect, find ways to better the agriculture since that is the main source of food. To every problem there is solution, there is no reason why are people are starving and we sit on our comfortable lazy asses and don’t do nothing. With collective efforts we can do something and achieve goals inshaAllah, I think SOL should start something, count me in also and let me know in any way I can help. And if anyone is in the states, I would like to know about organizations which work in Somalia.

I heard good things about this Somali organization, they are not here in the states but in Europe: http://www.hirda.org/

^Good intentions, indeed. But brother never expect anything from SOL because, in my views, I think they had done all they could in connecting all these somalis in various parts of the world. The most important aspect of all is to collect funds among us, and send it to the neediest people back home, mainly the drought striken victims.

For I am sure, if we trust others on this obligation, they will either neglect, or misuse our funds. Again it is us getting togather that is important, not SOL or others organizing our efforts to their preffered channels.

Howsha aan galno, aqyaarta!

Guhaad   

^haye, aan galnow hadhanow yaan laga bixin. anigu waxaan dhihi lahaa 'xaamaasadii soomaalida' yaan lagu bilaabin, lets start small and expand than the other way around. if we can only do that, things would have been little better than they are.

the hardest question for me is, who would be the best NGO to donate to; a Somali one or a humantarian one! both are fishy at the moment.

Castro   

www.hirda.org looks very good. I've never heard of it but it looks very promising. Will look some more. It seems the British organizations are more effective than their American or Canadian counterparts. The latter are just too divided and too numerous.

They even use paypal to accept donations. How about that for convenience? It'd be nice to see their financial statements though. Can the public even ask for these statements? Anyone know?

Khalaf   

Brother Castro my idea was not donate just to these organizations online, I know that sounds bad but I feel like brother Kafaaxiye people and their causes these days are not very trustworthy. What I was getting at was get involved with the grassroots organizations at your locations, and help them help those in somalia. Be careful of donating blindly, but activiley praticipate, money, ideas, effort.

For example I know there is huge somali community in Minnesota and Ohio, and strong student population at the Unvi level, getting together, putting up efforts, and fundraising, getting the word out about somalia is far more effective then donating money to organizations.

I remember when hurricane Katrina happened how the students at my campus moblized and raised more then $30,000 in a short period. But a child dies in somalia cuz he can't find food, but that doesn't bother our conscience, cuz if it did we would do something, we can and should do something. We are nation that loves to talk, and not take action.

Salaama

That was my precise thought when I initiated this threat brother. I trust every member of this forum, if one of you’s formed something significant as to helping our brothers and sisters in Somalia; I guarantee you will have my money and time (if permissible).

The biggest setback that I have gathered thus far is not having counterparts to work with in our soil, though this is a considerable setback we have to come up with alternatives to accomplish our goal. How about we form a committee among Solers, open an international account for solely this purpose, where every one would make contributions on a monthly bases.

The committee can assign a person to go to Somalia to do some research focusing on the betterment of our people, then the committee can initiate contacting the resources, the required persons to do the jobs to reach the goals so on and so forth.

Taking the first step is always the hardest, but I remind you all the foundation of this cause.

Gabbal   

Checkmate your heart is good sxb, but I guarantee you that you can make a difference by yourself. It is prudent to first take the initiative and then include others in the endeavor. You will never get anywhere soliciting support with people without first trying yourself. If it seems like I am speaking in tongues, let me explain.

I set up a small non-profit student organization where I partnered with the World Food Programme. I chose the WFP chiefly because they seemed to be doing the most then anyone else in combating the drought and two because, while they are officialy a subsidiary of the United Nations, they largely rely on donations. In my dealings with them, we reached the agreement that the money will go directly to southern Somalia and specifically in two areas in Gedo region (Garbaharey and Beled-Xawo) and one in Bakool region (Huddur). I believe that, more then anywhere else, those three areas are taking the brunt of the drought.

Some friends who are helping me and I have fundraised and are fundraising in the more wealthier areas of the greater Seattle metro area. So far the pledges are good if not moderate (we have recieved pledges reaching $43,000). The WFP has enlisted a staff member in our aid who is also responsible for the direct application of that money into those three areas we reached an agreement on.

It is that simple sxb. It just takes bringing together a few dedicated individuals and seeking a small partnership with a humanitarian organization (that is benefical for both parties) to save lives. I applaud you for speaking out and sincerely seeking a solution though.

p.s. I can guarantee on HIRDA's efficiency. Anything you donate there will completely go to the drought afflicted peoples of Somalia. I guarantee it.

Gabbal   

^Speaking about emails, we have an email account dedicated to this. It's droughtrelief@hotmail.com, and if you would like to see some of the ADS (ours and the WFP's) and would, possibly, like to use them, feel free to email us.

Jacpher   

Hey, trolling is neither the subject nor the cause. Stay focussed & steer back to the topic atheer :D

Have you checked your email lately?

Kashanre: Is that a group email you listed? I never realized an individual could accomplish all that. I guess I'm as ignorant as you can get about these issues.

Paragon   

Well, this is really good. Atlast we are talking. On my part, I have, with the help of an Islamic organization and MuslimAid, planned collections at some universities in London. The tables are up, I have made the posters (with the help of MuslimAid) and along with other Muslims we have started collecting. I know there is a need to form an effectve coalition, but for the time being, I have chosen MuslimAid - since it is both accountable and effective. They have given me their annual reports of the work they have done in somalia..and I am happy with it. But Insha-Allah, we have to plan our own ways of collecting and delivering whatever that is collected.

PS: If you wish to collect funds, you can go to your nearest MuslimAid (they also have horn of africa campaign) and get collection buckets with MuslimAid symbols. I guess such symbols officiate a sort of trust to people donating.

Good luck and thank you