Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Hagia Sophia back as a masaajid

Recommended Posts

A Turkish court officially ruled Mustafa Kamaal's degree a century ago was illegal to make Hagia Sophia (or as I call it Xaajiya Safiya) as a museum. Now it is back as a Muslim place of prayer.

Turkey reconverts Istanbul's Hagia Sophia museum into a mosque

51692f264e8a499e955788649f02b1e4_18.jpg

Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has declared Istanbul's Hagia Sophia open to Muslim worship after a top court ruled that the building's conversion to a museum by modern Turkey's founding statesman was illegal.

Erdogan made the announcement on Friday an hour after the court ruling was revealed, despite international warnings not to change the status of the nearly 1,500-year-old monument, revered by Christians and Muslims alike.

"The decision was taken to hand over the management of the Ayasofya Mosque ... to the Religious Affairs Directorate and open it for worship," the decision signed by Erdogan said.

Erdogan had previously proposed restoring the mosque status of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, a focal point of both the Christian Byzantine and Muslim Ottoman empires and now one of the most visited monuments in Turkey.

Earlier, a top Turkish court revoked the Byzantine-era Hagia Sophia's status as a museum. The Council of State, which was debating a case brought by a Turkish religious organisation, cancelled a 1934 cabinet decision that defined the sixth-century building as a museum.

"It was concluded that the settlement deed allocated it as a mosque and its use outside this character is not possible legally," Turkey's top administrative court said in the ruling.

"The cabinet decision in 1934 that ended its use as a mosque and defined it as a museum did not comply with laws," it said.

Erdogan shared on his Twitter feed a copy of the decree he had signed which said the decision had been taken to hand control of the Ayasofya Mosque, as it is known in Turkish, to the country's religious directorate and reopen it for worship.

Reporting from Istanbul, Al Jazeera’s Sinem Koseoglu said the decree was not a surprise as Erdogan had previously stated that he would like to see Hagia Sophia open for Muslim prayers on July 15, the anniversary of a failed coup attempt.

Koseoglu said that in four hours Erdogan was expected to make a speech on the importance of the Hagia Sophia, and its status being altered to a mosque again.

"There are dozens of people in front of Hagia Sophia museum. As soon as the court decision was announced ... they have been here chanting, they have been celebrating since then, and we spoke to them, they are very impatient to be able to pray inside Hagia Sophia," Koseoglu said.

Continue to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erdogan rejects global criticism over Hagia Sophia decision

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has rejected international condemnation over the decision to change the status of Istanbul's landmark Hagia Sophia from a museum to a mosque, saying it represented his country's will to use its "sovereign rights".

In the past, he has repeatedly called for the stunning building to be renamed as a mosque and in 2018, he recited a verse from the Quran at Hagia Sophia. 

"Those who do not take a step against Islamophobia in their own countries ... attack Turkey's will to use its sovereign rights," Erdogan said at a ceremony he attended via video-conference on Saturday.

The colossal Hagia Sophia was built 1,500 years ago as an Orthodox Christian cathedral and was converted into a mosque after the Ottomans conquered Constantinople, now Istanbul, in 1453. The secular Turkish government decided in 1934 to make it a museum.

Erdogan on Friday formally converted the building back into a mosque and declared it open for Muslim worship, hours after a high court annulled the 1934 decision turning it into a museum. He said Muslim prayers would begin at the UNESCO World Heritage Site on July 24.

International reactions

The president went ahead with the plan despite appeals from NATO ally the United States and from Russia, with which Ankara has forged close relations in recent years.

Greece swiftly condemned the move as a provocation, France deplored it while the US also expressed disappointment.

Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko on Saturday said Moscow regretted the decision.

"The cathedral is on Turkey's territory, but it is without question everybody's heritage," he told the Interfax news agency.

The World Council of Churches wrote to Erdogan expressing "grief and dismay" over the move and urged him to reverse his decision.

As a World Heritage museum, "Hagia Sophia has been a place of openness, encounter and inspiration for people from all nations," interim secretary-general Ioan Sauca said in the letter released on Saturday.

Continue to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tallaabo   

This must be the worst decision president Erdogan made so far. Istanbul is not without enough mosques for Muslims to use and converting the Orthodox Christianity's most important cathedral into a mosque was and is still probably more offensive to Almighty Allah than not building a mosque. It is not allowed in Islam and is against the spirit of dacwa to mistreat other religious groups because of what they believe. 

Hagia Sophia belongs to the Greek Orthodox Christians and should be given back to them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

This must be the worst decision president Erdogan made so far. Istanbul is not without enough mosques for Muslims to use and converting the Orthodox Christianity's most important cathedral into a mosque was and is still probably more offensive to Almighty Allah than not building a mosque. It is not allowed in Islam and is against the spirit of dacwa to mistreat other religious groups because of what they believe. 

Hagia Sophia belongs to the Greek Orthodox Christians and should be given back to them. 

Agreed. You don't have to be long in Istanbul to see the fantastic abundance of huge and incredibly beautiful masjid's with a long tariikh. 

Islam does not condone the mistreatment of other religions and I believe that is what this is.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oodweyne   

Hello Foks,

I shall defer to our Tallaabo, in terms of Islamic Jurisprudence and what the detailed exegesis of it says in treating the places of worship of other's folks of the book. But, looking things, purely admittedly, from a secular political point of view, this is in one piece with that old concept that I always had about Sultan Erdogan, which was he lost the plot a long time ago. And I say, that, since with this simple move, he basically, ensured that the Orthodox Russians will have more reason to detest him, from this point onward. 

Of course, Mr. Putin is never the sort of fellow who would be seen in any Orthodox Church in Moscow in any other places of Christian worship in Russia, but he has a powerful Christian Orthodox lobby in Russia, in which he is politically dependent on it, like the manner the old Tsarist Russian's empire used to depend on these sort of organized Christianity in Russia.

And the Patriarch of that Church in Moscow will be burning the phone to Kremlin's phone's switch-board about what Sultan Erdogan has done to their most famous Chruch in the world. 

Also add the fact that Sultan Erdogan had already burned his political bridges with the West (particularly with France and with Germany), with NATO and the Yanks (in particular) as well as with the EU as a corporate political body with his "on-again-off-again-threat" of opening the floodgates of Syrian's refugees in Turkey, in which he keeps on, darkly, muttering about that he may one of these days let them loose into the EU.

Hence, viewing all of these, one gets the impression of an emerging picture of a man who losing the plot, losing his last friend in Russia with this foolish agenda of his. And for good measure, "confirming" in the minds of all concern (especially in the West), that, he is the sort of a fellow who will play to the gallery of his Islamists ilk with this sort of cheap stunt. Instead of being a man who is mindful of his nation's tragic inter-religious conflict.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is excellent Turkish court decision to correct the illegal conversion by Mustafa Kamal of Hagie Sophia into a museum. It will still be open to turism but now Muslims can pray in it as they have for more than 500 years. As usual Recep Tayib Erdogan shows leadership where it matters. Those who are complaining, let them while millions of Muslims have a change to pray at this magnificant mosque there by honoring Sultan  Mehmet II (Mohamed Al-Fatih.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peace Action said:

This is excellent Turkish court decision to correct the illegal conversion by Mustafa Kamal of Hagie Sophia into a museum. It will still be open to turism but now Muslims can pray in it as they have for more than 500 years. As usual Recep Tayib Erdogan shows leadership where it matters. Those who are complaining, let them while millions of Muslims have a change to pray at this magnificant mosque there by honoring Sultan  Mehmet II (Mohamed Al-Fatih.)

True, boqolkiiba boqol waa run. What did Hindiya's Modi's Hindu-ruled higher court rule on last year regarding the destroyed Ayodhya masaajid? They gave the land the masaajid stood to their Hindu extremists. Where were kuwaan maanta dacaayadeenaayo markaas?

What about the whole annexation of Daanta Galbeed on this very moment by the Zionists?

Reer Galbeedka filinkooda only weak-minded awalba iyaga dabanaageys u ahaa ayaa raaco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

True, boqolkiiba boqol waa run. What did Hindiya's Modi's Hindu-ruled higher court rule on last year regarding the destroyed Ayodhya masaajid? They gave the land the masaajid stood to their Hindu extremists. Where were kuwaan maanta dacaayadeenaayo markaas?

What about the whole annexation of Daanta Galbeed on this very moment by the Zionists?

Reer Galbeedka filinkooda only weak-minded awalba iyaga dabanaageys u ahaa ayaa raaco.

Here are 22  Mosques converted to churches.  We don't care for those who always side with the colonisers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oodweyne   

^^^^Peace Action, 

What you and the SOL's Janitor, namely our "Gudhuu-boy", have written in here, can only be described as nothing but a "solipsistic whataboutery".

For it's solipsistic, since it's self-contained-egotistical argument, that can't lend itself to be explained away rationally. And it's a cheap form of whataboutery, since, it's based on the assumption that says others are also morally culpable of committing similar unethical deeds in which we are condoning it in Erdogan. Which means, two wrongs go together, like a hand in glove (as it were)

However, to put it in a concrete example what your argument - much-cheerleaded by our Gudhuu boy - really amounts to, let me say or offer you the following "analogy", which is this: 

"......Once upon a time ago, there was this clannish village, called Buuryaqab, in out there of Dh-abayaco-land. And in that village, it had come to pass that in one fine day the denizens of that clannish village have noticed that the next village to them, which, in turn, was populated by a "wide-eyed-looters" had taken on a "new social customs" of burning alive their old and doddering grandmotherly ladies as a "devilish witches" since they were convinced that these ladies bring nothing but bad luck to the village. Hence, the estimable "envious lot" of that Buuryaqab's village, have felt the need not to be left behind from this "new social custom" of burning toothless old ladies. And that, in turn, meant that they started asking around their villagers as to who was keeping old ladies in their houses. Since it was required to bring them all out to the village's square for the spot of "witches-burning". Particularly, at the altar of a tall pyre that was being set it up in the middle of the village......" 

Do you follow the argument now, dear boy? Or at least understand the "analogy".

In other words, I grand you, that, many Western nations have no leg to stand on when it comes to "criticizing" the latest act of "religious vandalism" in which Mr. Erdogan had pulled in here. And we all agreed on that.

But the questions are: Is this action socially just? Is it ethical? Is it moral? Or is it even "conducive" to the larger image (and the interests) of Turkey being a pluralistic and multi-faith Republic? 

These are deeper questions in which you should have been entertaining their answers. Instead of coming out with such solipsistic knee-jerk assertions that says India and others have taken a turn for the worst into a "nationalistic urges", specifically, that of transforming Mosques into various houses of Hindu's worship. And therefore, we in the Muslim world, should do the same "sacrilegious vandalism", or take a sordid page from their book.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duufaan   
2 hours ago, Peace Action said:

Here are 22  Mosques converted to churches.  We don't care for those who always side with the colonizers.

 

Not only that, Greek which was a recently part of Ottoman empire, converted all mosque either churches or something else. The crusades completely destroyed all Islamic cultures in Spain, France. Italy and Switzerland after 700 years of Muslim rule. There is even not single trace of the old  Islamic culture in the west of east Europa that muslims ruled 700 years. Even today you can not build a real mosque in west, there only few symbolic ones without loud speaker. Islamic centers are not mosques, they are simply nonprofit organizations. I even remember the moqdisho church was allowed ring its bells. 

Far more the Muslim civilizations has been the most tolerance. In Iraq and Syria and the whole middle east, 2000 years of cultures was preserved and protected by Muslims. Recently, historic cities Aleppo and Mosul  were destroyed, the cultures that Muslims saved for many years. In fact a pocket of the none Muslim  indigenous people who never became Muslims are still around and live Iraq and Syria peacefully.

Ergdon is not Mustafe Camel or Sissi. He is proud Turkish and Muslim leader who understand the contribution of  Muslim civilizations to world and wants to revive the muslim civilization so the world once again can benefit. The hypocrisy of declining the western liberal world, is not something no one should pay attention. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

^^^^Peace Action, 

What you and the SOL's Janitor, namely our "Gudhuu-boy", have written in here, can only be described as nothing but a "solipsistic whataboutery".

For it's solipsistic, since it's self-contained-egotistical argument, that can't lend itself to be explained away rationally. And it's a cheap form of whataboutery, since, it's based on the assumption that says others are also morally culpable of committing similar unethical deeds in which we are condoning it in Erdogan. Which means, two wrongs go together, like a hand in glove (as it were)

However, to put it in a concrete example what your argument - much-cheerleaded by our Gudhuu boy - really amounts to, let me say or offer you the following "analogy", which is this: 

"......Once upon a time ago, there was this clannish village, called Buuryaqab, in out there of Dh-abayaco-land. And lo and behold, the denizens of that village have noticed that the next village to them, which was populated by a "wide-eyed-looters" had taken on a "new social customs" of burning alive their old and doddering grandmotherly ladies as a "devilish witches", who bring nothing bad luck to the village. Hence, the estimable "envious lot" of that Buuryaqab's village, have felt the need not to be left behind from this "new social custom" of burning toothless old ladies. And that, in turn, meant it that they start asking around their village as to who was keeping old ladies in their houses. Since it was required to bring them out to the village's square for the spot of "witch-burning" at the altar of the tall pyre being set it up in the middle of the village......" 

Do you follow the argument now, dear boy? Or at least understand the "analogy".

In other words, I grand you, that, many Western nations have no leg to stand on when it comes to "criticizing" the latest act of vandalism in which Mr. Erdogan had pulled. And we all agreed on that.

But the questions are: Is this action socially just? Is it ethical? Is it moral? Or is it even "conducive" to the larger image (and the interests) of Turkey being a pluralistic and multi-faith Republic? 

These are deeper questions in which you should have been entertaining their answers. Instead of coming out with such solipsistic knee-jerk assertions that says India and others have taken a turn for the worst into a "nationalistic urges" of transforming Mosques into various houses of Worships. And therefore, we in the Muslim world, should do the same "sacrilegious vandalism", or take a sordid page from their book.

Their entire argument is so childish, it borders on the absurd. Literally a case of schoolyard tit for tat tactic.

We as Muslims have to take our lead from only the Holy Quraan and the Hadith. We can never justify our actions based on what others do. The sheer ignorance of this childish rationale is what you'd expect of kids in kindergarten.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oodka and Timacaddeh you have no argument to oppose the action of Turkish court to nullify Mustafa Kamal's illegal conversion of a Majid into a museum. What is wrong with Aya Sophia becoming a masjid again? Name calling will not help you win arguments nor giving allegiance to anti Muslim enemies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gooni   

Maxamed faatax raximulaah wuu ka iibsaday kaniisada asagoo awoodi karay inuusan iibsan, waxaana lagu tukanayay 500 sano.

Muslinku ma ogola in meelaha cibaadada xoog laysaga saaro waa dulum laga digay.

Sheekhaan wuxuu leeyahay matxaf yaa masaajid loo badelay ee kaniisad masjid looma badelin.

Dhanka kale ilaa iyo hadda waxaa turkiga ku taal, ku dhawaad 400 ilaa 500 macbud oo aan waligood la taaban. 

Halka wixii taariikh iyo masaajid muslinku ku lahaa  Europe aan waxba laga reebin wax kaniisad laga dhigay iyo qayb nightclub loo badelay.

Wuxuu sheegay in dalalka carabtu ay kala saari waayaan arrimaha diinta iyo siyaasadda kala dhaxaysa Erdogan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peace Action said:

Oodka and Timacaddeh you have no argument to oppose the action of Turkish court to nullify Mustafa Kamal's illegal conversion of a Majid into a museum. What is wrong with Aya Sophia becoming a masjid again? Name calling will not help you win arguments nor giving allegiance to anti Muslim enemies. 

I think you may have missed it but Mr Tallaabo answered your very question above. I'll quote the key part from his reply

Quote

It is not allowed in Islam and is against the spirit of dacwa to mistreat other religious groups because of what they believe. 

Hagia Sophia belongs to the Greek Orthodox Christians and should be given back to them. 

It was wrongfully taken from the Greek Orthodox Christians in the first place. That goes directly against the teachings of Islam of not mistreating other religions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gooni said:

Maxamed faatax raximulaah wuu ka iibsaday kaniisada asagoo awoodi karay inuusan iibsan, waxaana lagu tukanayay 500 sano.

Muslinku ma ogola in meelaha cibaadada xoog laysaga saaro waa dulum laga digay.

Sheekhaan wuxuu leeyahay matxaf yaa masaajid loo badelay ee kaniisad masjid looma badelin.

Dhanka kale ilaa iyo hadda waxaa turkiga ku taal, ku dhawaad 400 ilaa 500 macbud oo aan waligood la taaban. 

Halka wixii taariikh iyo masaajid muslinku ku lahaa  Europe aan waxba laga reebin wax kaniisad laga dhigay iyo qayb nightclub loo badelay.

Wuxuu sheegay in dalalka carabtu ay kala saari waayaan arrimaha diinta iyo siyaasadda kala dhaxaysa Erdogan.

Waxa diintu ogoshahay iyo waxa muslimiintu sameeyeen waa kala labo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.