Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

ibti here is a free nugget from me.

from now on, if anybody should ask "Ma raydaa ?" or its many other forms.

the appropriate response is: "bariiska wax diidan ma leh" which means waan fiicanahay.

you should have some variability ... you somali is only as good as how long you can keep a salaan going .. the longer the better :D

Ibtisam   

^^^Okay, throw whatever you have and I shall answer. icon_razz.gif Testing, testing. I think I can keep it going for a while.

-Lily-   

Xarbi, I think the Salan business is over the top. It's like someone commented on it before, how many times can you say you're fine? Doesn’t it annoy you when people don’t get to the point?

Alhamdullilah,

Wan fiicanahay

Wa liiska roonyahay

Wax dhibaato ah ma jirto.

Khayr

Equally annoying are phrases like 'Warka keen & Maxa isku dhacayo etc. which invite the person to go into tirade of small talk. And when you say not much, they go on to say 'Haye, maxaa kale' and by now you're thinking F offfffffffff

The above of course applies to people you don't know well :D

NGONGE   

Lily,

You may have a point there. The guy that killed the prophet's uncle (waxshi ibno xarb) was black. Maybe he was Somali. :D

But then again, even Abu Sufyan's father was called Xarb. So maybe not. icon_razz.gif

Xarb in Arabic means WAR. Xarbi would mean a man of war.

Ibtisam   

He was Ethiopian nooh ^^

'Haye, maxaa kale' and by now you're thinking F offfffffffff

THAT is why I never answer the house phone!!

^ I concur but it is a good way for up and coming students to show their bones in the language .. i say throw ibti in a room with 5 habro .. and see if she can fend for her self :D

-Lily-   

Yes but Ngonge, it wouldn't be the first time that the same word has different meanings in other languages.

Are you debating that xarbi means to strive in Somali?

Abtigiis   

I am sorry to do it this way, but was I left with any other option? No. This message is for Ngonge. Recall our little exchanges and your refusal to provide me with your real name. You thought that will basically kill the story. Unfortunately for you, a little research and queries, and guess what? I know your real name. Rashid Al-tantaawi. Hal anta bi khayr, pretender?

I wonder why non-somali's are allowed here.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Lily,

You may have a point there. The guy that killed the prophet's uncle (waxshi ibno xarb) was black. Maybe he was Somali.
:D

But then again, even Abu Sufyan's father was called Xarb. So maybe not.
icon_razz.gif

Xarb in Arabic means WAR. Xarbi would mean a man of war.

^ afkaaga caano baqay lagu qabay sxb :D

that is what i meant ... the two favourite past times of our forefathers herding camels, and making war.

maalin waanagsan trollers

NGONGE   

^^ :D

meet-ful-wo-arbac-taashar, ya bashmohandis.

Lily,

I am not debating anything. You guys brought Arabic into it and I was merely sprinkling some trivial info your way. smile.gif

(Xarbi is the one that's debating the meaning).

Ibtisam   

Yes now that I look back on it, Ngonge does look Chinese. Man I’ve been tricked? Shid :D I remember thinking what an odd looking Somali. icon_razz.gif

Xarbi, you too. smile.gif

NGONGE   

** Pushes glasses back **

Actually, I am told that I look Ethiopian (Amharic to be exact). All the Ethiopians that stop me in the street always ask me if I am one and get disappointed when they find out that I am not. At one point in the past I was even considering learning the darn language so I can take advantage of all the easy opportunities I got with all those Ethiopian lovelies. Alas, I could never find a suitable teacher. Yalam, yalam... :D

Ibtisam   

^^^Please take that down! Gosh

Ngonge: It was the first language I learnt in my life, even before Somali. Too bad I don't remember much.

STOIC   

^^^I know the image was eye-straining...this is the problem of not being allowed to image-host.....