Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

me   

The appeal of British brands

By Shikha Mishra, Staff Writer

Products from the United Kindom continue to score high marks in the UAE.

With a value of $3.5 trillion (Dh23.47 trillion), Britain is among the world's top nation brands, according to the latest Anholt Nation Brands Index (NBI) created by nation branding experts Simon Anholt and powered by GMI (Global Market Insite, Inc.), a global market intelligence solutions provider.

And when the nation is so highly valued, it comes as no surprise that brands from the UK also top popularity charts throughout the Gulf. British fashion and food are top sellers in the region, with a loyal following that comprises not only British expatriates, but also other expatriates and the local community. With fashion heavyweights such as Debenhams, Next, Marks and Spencer, Bhs, Monsoon and Harvey Nichols represented in ample measure, British fashion takes centre stage in the UAE shopping experience.

According to figures released by the UK's Customs and Excise, Tariff and Statistical Office, UK exports to the UAE increased 29 per cent to over £2 billion (Dh13.41 billion) over the last three years. Exports to Dubai alone were over £1.4 billion (Dh9.39 billion), and over 85 per cent of UK-UAE trade is conducted through Dubai and the Northern Emirates. In 2005, the UK exported £46.1 million (Dh309.17 million) worth of British apparel to the UAE, which ranks tenth amongst the UK's top export markets for apparel. Food and drink exports from just January to June 2005 totalled more than £50 million (Dh335.33 million).

Food companies

"British food companies have a major opportunity to reach new markets within the Middle East in 2006 and we're seeing an increasing number of speciality companies looking to partner distributors with local experience to tap this significant group of potential customers," says Emma Walters, International Marketing Executive, Food from Britain, a strategic export consultancy which provides advice to UK companies on selling their products overseas.

With large numbers of British expats across the Gulf region - an estimated 100,000 to 125,000 in Dubai alone, out of a population of around one million - the Gulf markets certainly have potential. Export figures are looking healthy - Dubai represents the fastest growing per-capita export market for UK food and drink.

Positive exports

The evidence for these positive export figures can be found on supermarket shelves. Most are targeting expatriates in Dubai and stock a huge number of imported lines. While on a visit recently to Dubai to attend Gulfood 2006, Walters says: "We were pleasantly surprised by the number of British products we saw in the stores, across a number of categories, including frozen and chilled. Brands such as Weetabix, McVitie's, PG, Tate & Lyle, Pilgrims Choice cheeses, Waitrose, Walkers (crisps and shortbread) were present in each of the stores we visited, as well as many others."

The store visits were also interesting for other reasons. The Middle East used to be viewed as a dumping ground for products not selling well in their domestic markets. Now, companies have wised up to the fact that consumers in the UAE and other Gulf states are actually receptive to quality products, hence the volume of imported products on the shelf.

FFB expects interest in the Gulf states region from UK producers to increase over the coming year, particularly if the visitor levels to the British pavilion at this year's Gulfood are anything to go by. The Kuwait-based Alshaya group has dozens of UK brands under its umbrella, including River Island, NEXT, Body Shop, Bhs, Debenhams, TopShop, Oasis, Evans, Peacocks and Faith.

Alshaya has recently added Boots - a well-regarded name in the British healthcare and beauty industries to its portfolio. Boots will soon be opening its first few stores in Kuwait and Dubai.

The Alshaya Group also recently invested in a 70,000 square metre central distribution centre in the Dubai Free Zone, to fulfill its growth throughout the region. "Brit-mania is an international phenomenon at the moment. The British designers are heading most of the leading fashion houses since they push the boundaries," says Andreas Lim of Sophia Swire London, a fashion design house that participated in the British Fashion in the Gulf show held recently in Dubai.

Loyal following

Pia Hall, Director of London-based Pia Hall Designs, also participated in the show and chose to come to Dubai because "we knew our product was perfect for the Dubai market. Our shop in South Kensington has a very loyal following of clients from the Middle East. There is definitely a demand in the UAE for UK designs." Like Sophia Swire, Pia Hall's target market in the UAE is the Arab community, who enjoy wearing well-tailored clothes. "Our clothes always have a luxurious element that appeals to the Arab market," says Lims.

Another participant in the show, accessory designer Zufi Alexander feels that it's the right time for British designers to expand their repertoire in the Middle East. "British fashion is popular in the UAE since it is synonymous with high fashion and impeccable quality. Designers and labels like Burberry and Alexander McQueen are already doing well in the Middle East, which is good news for us," says Alexander.

PR executive Maysoon Baraky is a self-confessed shopaholic and after having lived in London briefly, feels at home with the variety of UK brands available in Dubai. "I love Debenhams, everything they stock is simple, elegant and special at the same time, apart from being easy to care for. TopShop has the most unique accessories," says Baraky.

It goes without saying that British expatriates are loyal customers, but who are the other faithful followers of UK brands? "UAE nationals, GCC expatriates along with Asians contribute to the majority of UK brand buyers," says Pramod Menon, Senior Manager, Rivoli Group, which distributes British brands such as Dunhill and the luxury cell-phone brand Vertu.

High profile

And speaking of things quintessentially British, who can forget James Bond and his sleek Aston Martin?

After a slow start, the market for Aston Martin in the UAE has picked up considerably. "The sales of Aston Martin cars have gone up and keep on improving. We're getting a strong foothold in the luxury sports car market. Customers buy the car because of its exclusivity and elegant appeal. Its design and looks are totally different from any of its competitors," says Roger Ghosn, Marketing Manager, Al Habtoor Motors.

From food to clothing, cars to cell-phones, British brands score high marks in the Gulf thanks to their high quality combined with affordable pricing.

me   

The UAE is just a play ground for the Brits, they own the country, its a lucrative market for them and ooohh yea they got most of the good jobs in the country. Tax free living and cheap shopping. If the Arabs are happy that someone is visiting their desert then thats their thing. But be honest the Brits have the advantage in this deal.

N.O.R.F   

True

Britain does make almost everything and British standards are widely used throughout the world when it comes construction and manufacturing hence the high amount of UK made goods coming into the country. Britain is a big player here.

The Brits do have it good here yes and they make sure you know about (winging about life in UK constantly).

There was a big hoo-haa recently about a UAE couple who were mistreated at London Eye while on holiday because they were speaking af-carabi in the queue.

me   

Northerner I see an opportunity there.

1. Create a bigger hoo-haa

2. Organize an angry Mob

3. Chase them away

4. We get their jobs?

Is that a plan or is that a plan?

me   

What an enterance.

-explain what trolling is, its the first time I am posting on it.

me   

Whats so confusing?

Management= I can organize an angry mob

Marketing= I persuade them to do funny things

Look at the DARKKK SIDE of the them.

N.O.R.F   

a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls

hmmm

NGONGE   

^^^ Ok. I understand why you would consider me a troll (seeing that I playfully pinch your ears every now and then) but why in the world is comrade Castro a troll? I agree that he’s a one-line-merchant (good one liners I must admit) but a troll? Too harsh! He’s a lover not a fighter. ;)

Ps

The real and biggest troll here is that vile Val. She acts all nice and sweet, posts all those harmless messages of hers and pretends to be nice to everyone. Very disruptive and distracting that.