Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

STOIC   

Its funny how I have grown through the pages of SOL. Out of curiosity lost in my own self I tried to search one of My First Post in SOL. I catch myself wondering why in the world did I wrote my first post in capital letters. Who was I yelling at? I was glum with shame when I realized how I had to withdraw my congratulations from that girl ( Najmo) after I found out she wasn’t the original author of the piece. I think I have learned great deal from the nomads of this site. Who would have ever believed I was going to stay this long! I have been enchanted by the novel wisdom of many nomads that I have read their social and political views. Many of these nomads are pleasant enough to go out of their way to make their views clear. It’s hard for me to ignore the annoying ones, which too contribute positively in their own way to this community! Their patronizing platitudes will only affect you if you take them serious ;) .

PS My five year anniversary coming up in April

STOIC   

^^^I’m not going anywhere Saxiib, at least not until fall when I will be back to smelly and lonesome student. There will be no more freedom, money, and time. I will visit this place whenever I feel like I want to veer away from studies (that is if this place still exist in five or ten more years). Hope you be around too. I used to be an avid reader of your blog (though you slowed down lately).One time I showed your blog to she who must be obeyed and she thought you had too much time in your hand icon_razz.gif If I ever visit London don’t be surprised if I invite you for a cup of coffee (tea for you!) . ;)

EDIT:I remembered a joke you made about the dentists awhile back in this thread. Check out this guy who is being treated by the dentist without Anesthetic. To everyone else who is reading this is not for the faint- hearted ones. The oral cavity is central to human existence since it is where drinking, breathing, and all other life’s pleasure are initiated!

Dentistry without Anaestethic

I'm stuck home on a saturday night, doing work due for monday morning.. and if that isnt bad enough, I have potentially corrupted a client laptop - an IBM X60. And I've lost a good amount of work - Thank GOD for SharePoint - I've uploaded most of the stuff there. Still, I really dont know how I'm going to explain why the laptop isnt working...

And I feel sick doing work on Saturday night..

I ran into the big boss last night at a B'day party and he said a little birdy told him I was doing a fantastic job...

Now why did this have to happen.. now? :(

peasant   

^ Do people still scan viruses and malware? boy i like apple and the ease of getting around with out ever worrying about viruses and spyware.

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Rudy.. the laptop wont start... thats the problem. I think its a mechanical fault.

I use a IBM T60 for work ....... when it is starting up before it reaches the windows boot up ..... press the blue 'Access IBM' to get into the CMOS and restore the defaults..... if it is not even getting to that stage it must be giving you some 'beeps' each pattern of beeps has a different meaning and will indicate which subsystem is at fault.

personally if I have a problem with my laptop I am not allowed to fix it even if i know how .... it is the job of the Tech support dept. .... dumb corporate rules and all but i would recommend not even trying to fix until the corporate Tech dept. has a look at it especially since it might contain sensitive client info if you are interested in Covering Your ****

Originally posted by peasant:

^ Do people still scan viruses and malware? boy i like apple and the ease of getting around with out ever worrying about viruses and spyware.

in this years CanSecWest hacking competition three systems were tested.

1- Macbook

2-Vista

3-Ubuntu

Nobody was able to hack into the systems on the first day of the contest when contestants were only allowed to attack the computers over the network, but on Thursday the rules were relaxed so that attackers could direct contest organizers using the computers to do things like visit Web sites or open e-mail messages.

-- The first day contests are only allowed to hack into the systems remotely.

-- the second day contests are allowed minor user interaction like visiting websites etc.

-- the third day rules are relaxed and common third party applications are allowed to be installed on all the systems such as office suites, email clients, etc. and hackers attempt to exploit the systems via the weaknesses of the third party applications.

The Macbook was the first to succumb it was exploited in the first 2 minutes of the second day of the competition and the Vista machine fell during the third day at the end ubuntu was the last OS still standing.

winter: ubuntu

Second:Vista

Thrid:Apple Macbook

macbook the first to fall

peasant   

^ Considering the elevated status of apple's security dont you think Charlie Miller was more interested the name recognition by starting with mac and not the other way around and with vista? After all Microsoft is already made name for it self for being bad with security and nothing further to proof to anyone. Also considering the fact that vista still has more spyware and viruses than Mac's leopard makes you think bit too. By the way no operating system is immune to intrusion/exploits/trojans even industry top notch operating system like IBMs AIX and Sun' Solaris and you name it all have some weaknesses. Every operating system has some vulnerabilities and setting your system with factory defualts is considered practically ****** idea but some operating systems do handle little bit better than the others and mac is one of them. I have had my mac for about year and half now and my web surfing habits are considered very risky as i often download pirated software and movies. On my system I only have small firewall (little snitch) for security and i only use it when i am doing online transections and so far my experience with apple is very positive. In the past i used to have pc with XP and never surfed the net with out being behind zonealarm firewall and still i used to get spyware and viruses. I remember fresh installing my system every three months or so when ever things got beyond control but now not anymore my surfing is smooth. Also not to mention leopard is light years ahead of vista when you talk about neat features like time machine, spaces and quick look. Lastly not the least my favorite feature of leopard is hot corners and if you got hooked on it next time you use pc you would want to smash it on the ground for lacking that feature.