Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

Its the waiting in AFRICA (read Djibouti) with a family in tow that I'm worried about

^^lol ciyaalkay qashaan miyaad maqashey?

pay the visa n take them in town with all its scenic beaches etc; my little cousins from Ca are still enchanted with their stay years ago...

I find these rustic Russian planes all the more exciting and still remember our trip back from Hargeysa in 86 despite being only around 2 years old, the termites molehills or dumdumo below etc (might have been the Somali airlines Let).

I now understand why the younger one took flying lessons on the side:

Cara.   

^Just make sure to check out videos of planes LANDING too or the CIA will be over to ask you some pointed questions :D

Morning trollers.

I've gone and done the unlikeliest of things lately - I bought two Somali books (ok, 3, but I would rather discount Cigaal Shidad as I feel slightly over the target age group!).

Today I've started to read the novel - Roge, by Cabdilaahi Cawad Cige and I'm struggling just a teeny weensy bit.. ok, maybe slightly more. But nothing that cannot be overcome with the help of SOL folks.

Bal ii micneeya these words: (all from page one and I just have 415 pages to go)

- cawadaranta

- Mirood

- dhadhaabyo

- cammuud

It will take me month, perhaps years.. but I intend to finish this book so I can claim to have read an authentic (critically acclaimed too) Somali Novel.

Ibtisam   

Mirood= Elephant or it could mean those little things you pick of trees to eat- bit like nuts but they got lafoo inside. Reer miyi kids love them

Cawadaranta= unlucky

Dhadhabyo= to put on top of each other (stones normally)- depends on the context

Cammuud= to rub over or it could mean the sand by the beach.

Paragon   

cawa-daran = bad omen night (lit.) nasiib daran

Mirood = fruit-bearing

dhadhaabyo = sandy (red)terrain (Dhadhaab - small town in NFD) means also piles of xabag

cammuud = dhul tanbuux ah (ciid-taal ah) = same as dhaadhaab but with clear white (or close coloured) sand (xaanni) sometimes other materials

Or so I think.

Serenity - one is impressed. Don't stop at anything I tell ya. It's the only way to master the lingo - Somali language (in written or oral recitation form) is rich. Mar dhow waad soo gabyi doontaa. :D

SeeKer   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Does anyone wear contact lenses? I'm might do one of those free trials.

I do sometimes. Its all a matter of preference it took me two tries before I found ones that didn't make my eyes itch. Each year the technology advances. These days there are ones you can sleep with since they are breathable lenses.

Morning folks.

A bit of an unusual day, even help has come in the form of the unlikeliest of people - Ibtisam :D

I think I should give you guys context..

Miroob shaqadiisu tahay inuu cawadaranta gudo iyo tuug dhuumanaya mooyee sanku neefle kale Burco ma dhex socdo.

Filanwaa, wuxuu isha ku dhuftay dhadhaabyo, cammuud, guryo, dhir iyo duni dhan oo sidii dermada loo soo laabay oo ku beegan.

NG, I bough the books from a Somali Authors fair (part of Somali Week Festival) and I Cige was on the panel ;) .

Paragon   

^Lol. Mirood or miraa thats the one you are talking. Mirasho/midhasho is the night stalker. As in the selector from mirid. Mir also being a heavy rain such as mayey.

ps: its contextual. for ex. dhadhaabyo gains a different meaning in that context.

Muxaadaros, Tafsirs etc are also great ways to deepen your Somali; find gabays too futile.

North, Lens are risky and proven to irritate if not weaken one's vision on the long term; at any rate, I have been told they can only complement glasses and need caution before being introduced...

NGONGE   

I was just given a box of Ambala sweets. I have an hour and a bit to finish it on my own (nobody else here or at home likes indian sweets).

Juxa   

you really shont finish it alone, that is recipe of protuding calool and badhi to match.

share it with ibti :D