Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

A Week In Somaliland!

Xidigo   

Originally posted by STOIC:

Ngonge,

PS WTF are those guys waving their phones for?

Inay dayaxa joogaan ayay is moodayaan ;)

Waa i arkaay i maqlaay, magaalo joog xumadu saw Hargaysa kama bilaaban.

Aaliyyah   

NG where are the pics? I would like to see them.

thanks

edited: I just noticed you posted some pics. But, can you post pictures of places...and I don't think it's all that decent to post people's pics on a forum..

btw y are they waving their cell phones LOL

Once outside, I stood aside and looked around me for any familiar faces. That is when the professional beggars appeared. I did not need to hear them promise to pray for me or even ask me to give them anything. One look at their faces told me what to expect. Just as I was trying to find my feet and the words to rebuff them, I noticed that one of them was happily smiling at me and walking toward me with outstretched arms! This was a cocky beggar, I thought to myself. He is acting very familiar and sticking those arms out with confidence (salaan wax ka badan wale enaano iga helin)! Something suddenly clicked in my head and the familiar beggar seemed even more familiar! I saw that face somewhere. I had a quick scan and noticed that he was well dressed and his shoes were shiny and polished. This beggar knows how to look after himself. If I do give him any money I was sure that he would bankrupt me!

He spoke! He called me by my SOL name! He was not a beggar at all but he had the worst sense of timing EVER. I will skip over the other details and just say that he drove me to the hotel that was going to be my place of residence for the next seven days.

I wonder who that was LOL

-------------------- ---------

May Allah accepts the dua's of Everyone, and guides us ALL.Inshallah

However, this rule only applies to humans. Somaliland, you see, has a variety of beggars. First there are the flies. These ones welcome you the minute you set foot in H town and stay with you for the rest of your holiday ( I swear that a couple of them even stayed with me all the way to Burco, I recognised their pink wings).

Daacad ayaan u qosolay!! :D:D

Very good read NG. Thanks for the detailed intro. It will be of some great help to moi when he goes to Hargeisa later in the year as well. smile.gif

However, this rule only applies to humans. Somaliland, you see, has a variety of beggars. First there are the flies. These ones welcome you the minute you set foot in H town and stay with you for the rest of your holiday ( I swear that a couple of them even stayed with me all the way to Burco, I recognised their pink wings).

Daacad ayaan u qosolay!! :D:D

Very good read NG. Thanks for the detailed intro. It will be of some great help to moi when he goes to Hargeisa later in the year as well. smile.gif

Buuxo   

Ngonge,LoL...Aren't those dudes your Marfiish friends that you convinced to do some act of MJX? :D

We need pictures of places with you in it.Eg Naaso Hablood or JB's mudul icon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

That night, after having our food and walking out of the restaurant I realised how dark the city can get at night! There were not many streetlights around and people were actually strolling about in the dark!

They carried no torches and had no lights but they could still see where they were all going! I blindly stuck close to my tourist guide and kept him in constant conversation in case I lost him in that oppressive darkness. Furthermore, and because of the sandy, messed up nature of the roads, I was worried that I may step on a snake as I lifted my feet and put them down again. Of course, to my tourist guide, I appeared as cool as ever and he did not suspect a thing. I jokingly asked him if there were any snakes in the city. He told me he has not seen any in years. I jokingly asked again and he jokingly told me there were none. We carried on walking and my eyes started to acclimatise.

At first, the only way I could tell that a person had walked past us was by using my sense of smell. A whiff of manly sweat, a rush of female perfume, a trace of uunsi, a gush of petrol fumes or a hint of glue told me that a human had just glided past. Some cats ran past but I didn’t smell them. The mosquitoes buzzed around my ears but I couldn’t see them. This darkness was very tiring and I longed for a place with a bit of light. At this point, I have to confess that it was not always dark. Every once in a while a car would drive past and shower us in glorious light but then we would go back to even more darkness.

Only when we got to the shops did I feel I was in a real city! I walked into a couple of malls, a bookshop and even had a look at nuune’s favourite hang out. Unlike Somali shops in the West, the actual workers here were polite, courteous and very helpful. The image of Somalis that was ingrained in my mind for years began to fade away and I was enjoying this newfound respect for H town’s finest.

I am going to digress now and share with you a theory I am developing. It is to do with the contrast between the Somalis on the inside and those on the outside. Though the two share many characteristics, and though I only had a mere week to reach this conclusion of mine, I believe the Somalis on the outside to be ruder, rougher and more ignorant than those on the inside. Having met a couple of my fellow westerners there, I could not help noticing that they thought they knew it all and seriously believed the gruff, irresponsible and backward attitude they employed was actually the done thing! This is where my theory comes into play. You see; I believe that most of these outsiders have left home either as children or in their early teens. What was fashionable and accepted at the time (and that age) was to be rude, to play with words, to act tough and to shout as loud as you could in order to be heard. That fake nostalgia, those memorable days and the ideas of how it is to be a Somali stayed with them ever since. Now they return home with such an attitude and people either think them mad, get taken in by their theatrical acts or merely snigger behind their backs. Of course, all this may only apply to those from Somaliland and our southern brothers may turn out to be as hopeless as their kin on the outside (I doubt it but I shall withhold judgment for now).

On that first night, we went to Hargeisa University where an evening of poetry and prose was being held. The place was packed to the rafters with students, poetry lovers and many bored people that just enjoy the feel of being in the middle of a large crowd. The hall where the event was taking place was full and we could not push our way in. I discovered two things that night. One, the people of Hargeisa would travel for miles for a bit of entertainment. Two, that city has very pretty girls. The third discovery was not my own, it was foisted upon me. It turns out that my tourist guide knew them all (those HE did not know, knew him).

The University looked nice and had many faculties. But it also had that dreadful sand that can be found in every corner of Hargeisa! Now, it was not the sand that I objected to. It was actually nice brown sand. I disliked the idea of what may be slithering on that sand. It was night after all and most cold blooded creatures love to come out at night when unsuspecting tourists happen to be tabbing their feet against the sand in frustration and worry. Luckily, nothing came out of the sand that night.

The next day, after having my lunch (I slept right through breakfast and the morning) and spending some time talking to the hotel crew in the restaurant, my tourist guide arrived and proudly declared that I was going back to school! We were going to Hargeisa University (again) but, this time, we were attending a lecture. I took my camera with me and followed him to the car. We drove to the university and as we got out of the car, we were spotted by a traffic policeman. He hurried to us and demanded that we take photos of him. Just like he would direct traffic, he directed us on how to take the photos and what angles to film him in! There was no traffic whatsoever yet he still pretended to be dealing with a real heavy load and kept on blowing his whistle (until my tourist guide lied to him and said that this camera recorded sound). After dealing with this cheerful policeman, we went to the library and checked out the various books they held there. We later went to the IT section where we took photos of some picture frames of various graduates. After half an hour of milling about and chatting to different people it was time to attend the lecture.

I entered a classroom with lovely little tables and chairs. The tables were full of scratches and words like any that you would find in schools all over the world. There was a picture of a heart with the word IMAN on it. The words were faded and old, they made me wonder what this girl would look like now and how many children (or even grandchildren) would she have! Before I could get carried away with my daydreams the lecturer started talking to the room and asking them to help him fix the overhead projector. I started paying attention and felt embarrassed about intruding on this serious lecture (it was a real course with the certificates issued by an American University). These students have spent months attending this course and I suddenly appeared from nowhere and had the temerity to sit amongst them and act as if I understood what was going on (which I did). I found the lecture very interesting and was fascinated by the way peace building, conflict resolution and damaged societies were dealt with. The lecturer was very entertaining and his anecdotes were real good. I also discovered that some of the students in that room were some of the elite of Hargeisa Society (minsters, members of the gurti, etc). Some were not young men at all. But I suppose I will have to agree to that banner I saw and say that the road to success is always under construction.

As the lecture was reaching its middle part and the American professor was in his element, we were all distracted by the crackling sound of radio! We all looked back to see an old man walk into the room and stand there staring at his phone and listening to the blaring sound of BBC Somali! He paid us no attention at all and carried on listening for a full minute. Someone made a sound (I am not sure if they spoke to him directly) and that seemed to shake him out of his reverie. He grunted with a smile and walked out of the room! I am still dying to find out why he came into the room in the first place.

I can see some heads dropping and notice some eyes glazing over. Let me stop this writing and give you something to look at instead (I shall continue with the description some other time).