Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Dubai

N.O.R.F   

^^The westerners have taken over already thats why i'm hoping to find a place in Sharjah ;)

It should be good,,,,IA

Originally posted by Hayam:

...Went to buy some diracs as is per tradition when you come to Dubai and its crime what I pay in toronto. I basically bought an amazing dirac of my choice among another hundred, a full set for 30 bucks. I am used to paying 130 dollars.

enjoy arabian cuisine.....sandy beaches :D:D

Tahliil   

This reminds me South East Asia in earlier 90s. Construction boom that went belly up within 2yrs time. I think the smart thing would have been to follow China's and India's footsteps and invest in humans...so that when time comes and oil money dwindles or totally ceases the next generation would at least be hot commodity around the Silicon and financial markets around the globe...

Personally I prefer the noisiness of the gold souk, rather than the plastic City Centre that everyone goes so crazy over. I love those alleyway cafes and hidden shops where you buy cheap China-made products. To me, that's the real Dubai.

Bleh, I liked it better when no one knew where Dubai was. Now every chav in the UK has been there.

Miriam1   

The African Gold souk is rather nice, very decent. I still have to get used to the small alleys with the somali dirac stores.

Recenltly checked out the Ibn Batutta mall, was recommeded by a friend who came down a few weeks ago, its reallllly nice, lovely stores and educational too. Simply by far the best one of them all...i just dont get that Mall of Emirates (i thnk it was the one) with the 400 meter ski slopes..?

Just.Strange. Seeing an arab with his thob and a large ski jacket over him lol

smile.gif It is summer and somalis have flocked to dubai from every corner of the world.UK, Canada, US and as far as Australia and NZ.

I was suprised to find that many somali families moving with many daughters..from abroad.

is the ratio of somali would be mothers equal to would be fathers?

I wonder...

Dubai, is nothing impressive, its construction gives many opportunities to western companies, they have no idea waht they arew doing or the word sustainability.

A playgrund for the rich and shameless it already is, around a region getting poorer and more violent.

Think about it, how far is IRAN from the UAE?

Someone mentioned they should have invested in people like India, or China, who are becoming the next world powers while the Arabs are turning

into the next monaco and Canaries...

Gen. Duke I agree with you.

the sustainability issue is very big, all I see them building is a big Disney Land, but the said thing is that the UAE's Disney land is supposed to be a real city.

Plus the way they treat the workers that are building this city of excess are treated like dirt. They dont get paid on time, if they ever get paid at all and the gov't tacitly approves of this abuse.

Also

Socod Badne,

i usually agree with you, but this time i beg to differ. Westernizing does not equal prosparity or freedom. Just look at the way black folk live in US cities like Detroit, Baltimore, DC and Chicago. You will see that living in a Western country does not mean you have freedom.

N.O.R.F   

The Rendevous, i need a quiet area on the west side of Sharjah preferably with no westerners and good road links. Any ideas?

Miriam1   

Dubai has been the most curious city.

Many faces..the old gold and spice souk in contrast to the city centers and towering buildings.

There is one unifying element though. Money rules in this city.

I have never had the opportunity to ever really see an actual prostitue while in Toronto discussing prices with a potentail "customer"

But i did have the unexpected chance of all places here in Dubai.

Very amusing and strange at the same time, to be sitting in small cafeteria in one of the busy souqs at a friday night waiting for an order of mango juice with a friend. While the following happened

Imagine this scene.

3 women, of which nationality I cannot say, Persian maybe or Eastern European..I dont know.

They were in thier late 30's to early 40's, wearing very flashy clothes and heavy makeup, just like us waiting for thier orders. At this time I noticed an African guy, standing beside them behind the glass walls, staring at the women.

I knew men here stared, and these women weren't exactly covered, so I didnt give it a second thought.

When he came in and sat right next to them I was really shocked...what guts he had.

since we were right at the next table, the convo was very aduible ... it went something like ths

Guy-Hi how are you..

lady-"Smiles" good good

Guy-Yes, um "how much"

Lady-120 dirhams...

At this point, I realized what I was listening into.....

If this is happening in the middle of a crowded souq on a friday night, in a crowded restraunt with children and families, God only knows what happens behind closed doors.

Oh and incase your wondering, I guess, it was abit expensive for him... he left without the product.

Som@li   

Northerner welcome to UAE.

UAE has done alot for its self, considering where they were 30 years ago, and they have something all the developing countries should look up to.

Most of the co are now being nationalised, and all the the big companies are owned by state or private local companies.

anyway, I am here for around one year now, and I must say, I love Dubai.

Btw i met alot somalis, mainly moving from Canada , Uk in Sharjah? buying houses etc.

Originally posted by Hayam:

cheap isnt it.

But then again, they werent exactly super models

Hayaam xisho please...the percentage of modest people is 97% here in Dubai unless you saw one incident..happening...

and waleee adigaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? :D:D you were really keeping your ear..

Never talk about them ....there are others like me who have joined the old school...left the old school and are happy..

We need not discuss about them...were you still listening? That was just the broker anywayzzz..

Northerner, Welcome..I work in Sharjah and I can help one way or the other..Keep it real