Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Marry a guy who delivers pizzas?

Within Somalis hasn't it mostly been boys that have been encouraged to study and achieve? I've heard eedo, ii garaac, taken the upside-down piece of paper and dialled too many times. How did those men deal with wives who couldn't read as well as them if at all? How did our society function with the imbalance? Wait, did it...

All that is changing. The men are where the women were yesterday. The young girls who have seen the illiterate women are embracing education, even if they will never do anything with it, i.e find work. The women probably already out number the young men in higher education. What's striking is that these men have the opportunity available to them whereas women in the past probably would not have had either the opportunity nor a social environment conducive to women thinking out loud let alone knowledge gathering.

So what is it with these young men? It's simple, really. They think they're MEN and that that is all there is to it. They're men and a woman however educated will always be a woman. A Somali pizza deliverer will boast that his wife doesn't need to cook so much as he always brings home the rejected pizza at the end of the day.

Fidel, do not concern yourself with your girls. Work on your sons. Make them men. Real men. By God there's a drought.

Boy don't u drag common sense into this! Must u be a total ignoramus? Do u know what they do to people who speak of sense? Be hanged, u. :D

P.S: good topic.

Castro   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Fidel, do not concern yourself with your girls. Work on your sons. Make them men. Real men. By God there's a drought.

If you think there's a drought now, wait another decade or two. I don't have any sons and don't want to have any either. You see nature (earth, the environment, whatever you call it) has decided that men are destructive and cruel. To balance things out, it is decreasing their numbers. And while doing so, it is making them dumber as well. In the long run, men will become extinct as ineffecient and useless creatures. Of course, nature will compensate for the imbalance through some other means. The hard part is surviving the drought (I call it the transition period) for good times are coming. Inshallah.

xalimo has this that blalalalala! just cuz u can write a sentence dont mean jack shyte!! show me the money!

Xalimos, list the degrees or certificates u have got so far!! cut the bull....!

shed-ze! u the first.......! show me the money!

i look high/low and couldnt find a xalimo with say at least business deg during my hunt days!!

this was my formula! me 60 she 50 = upper middle class...! that was just a wet dream!

i had to settle her making 25! now i am in deep hole! loooool. i am stuck till she graduates in 2007!! :confused:

A degree is something you only talk about at parties -- you can make money in many different ways ---like the LOX said first you get money, than you get the power, than you get the girl. That’s why the most beautiful broad will love the ugliest dude if he has money.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Alaina:

Girl thinks he is decent and decides inay jaf jafato and helps him go back to school. 4 yrs later the boy and girl are working together and living in the suburbs.

Girl puts him through school, a decade or so, he leaves girl for a HOT young chick! Then what? :D

a) Girl shoots herself,

b) shoots him,

c) shoots both,

e) gives them her blessings,

f) a & b

Goodluck with your concept of "putting him through school" which by the way I think is more like an illusion of a teenager with ragging hormone. I can almost picture The Girl sitting the passenger side of a yellow cab on a night out, while her colleagues are with educated men with viable transportation like BMW and etc. icon_razz.gif

Fiidow: 10, 20 years from now, the picture certainly doesn't look as bad. There'll be opportunities and possibilities available to 1st/2nd Somali generation kids that were not available to those of us who in many ways have struggled, and reaped the benefits of our host countries and have continued to struggle. It'll be alot easier for them than it was for our generation (qaxonti.)

By the time they're 22, many of today's five year olds will atleast have their Bsc. Have no fear, for your girls are safe from the likes of today's scrubs. Anaga noo soo nax! Maybe we should consider looking into other women, or give the pizza dude a chance.

Jurnee   

Interesting topic Fidel,

As someone with male relatives who see education as important but ‘not for them’, I do wonder what it is exactly that keeps them away from the books and chasing the dollars. I know this problem extends through all nationalities and groups, but as Somali people I think it’s at a devastating level. Out of all the Somali boys (four) I graduated with, not one of them has pursued higher education. In comparison to the girls (there were seven of us) five are in university and the others are seeking different modes of education but studying nevertheless. The funny thing is that of all the girls not all were accepted into university the first time around but instead of giving up they worked their way up and are now in the process of getting their degrees.

Another thing that baffles me is that as girls, we naturally do have more odds against us, especially considering that we are Muslim and are covered, we have family obligations and a general negative attitude from the Somali community if you choose to pursue an education and career and delay marriage and children, and yet girls are achieving many things.

All in all I think this issue is much deeper than mere laziness or lack of motivation. It may even come down to the roles of men changing in our societies. Men are no longer the bread winners or ‘head of the household’ as it used to be. Women no longer rely on men for financial support or rearing of children (single mother epidemic). This could lead to confusion for many young men as to what exactly their role is. Maybe they feel as though they no longer have any role and they can now float through life not really achieving much and it wouldn’t make much of a difference. I’m just speculating here but regardless it scares me to think of what the future holds for us

Clearly, most of you have not noticed just how hunky some pizza-delivery boys are. icon_razz.gif

I’m just speculating here but regardless
it scares me to think of what the future holds for us

The future seems frighteningly dark from where I am standing as well, Shankaroon.

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

Girl puts him through school, a decade or so, he leaves girl for a HOT young chick! Then what?
:D

a) Girl shoots herself,

b) shoots him,

c) shoots both,

e) gives them her blessings,

f) a & b

f) a&b..how can she shoot him after she shot herself? :confused: Besides You can use option C :D ...btw am just pickin on yuh! :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

By the time they're 22, many of today's five year olds will atleast have their Bsc. Have no fear, for your girls are safe from the likes of today's scrubs. Anaga noo soo nax! Maybe we should consider looking into other women, or give the pizza dude a chance.

Bishaaro, idinka waan inii naxayaa but a five year old now is almost guaranteed to not find a suitably educated mate if the trends continue. We may even be out of pizza dudes by then as they'd be snapped up by the now 10 and 15 year olds. It may sound funny but it's painfully so. What's gonna reverse the trend is my question?

Aux   

You know I've noticed that certain people are so big headed when it comes to this issue that they will say anything but when it comes to them, they'll probably handle it differently. I know for sure there is a hadith about the ratio of men to women being 1 to 50 one day when it's close to Judgement day. If that in itself isn't a good proof then I don't know what is. So sister get going!!! :D

Now LET ME BE SERIOUS for once!!!

We are at an age where every women says good men are hard to come around. BEAUTIFUL!!! Proves the above hadith but wouldn't you accept someone for their flaws if it ain't all that bad. Education is a must and I advice all those Farax's to get it but I would take an educated Farax over a wife beating one. There was a time when our generation loved our women for who they where regardless of how educated she was. You judged a women according to her personality and the value's she held regardless of whether she was a farmers daughter or not. Today is a different case.

My final advice (coming from a man who is into size 4 typa shit), take what you get, if you can compromise. If the Farax has no Balwad but just needs that extra kick in the back to get him going, then help him out (If you know he will stick around and loves you). If he has Balwad then dont' even consider him until he changes his ways. If he makes you laugh and you feel good about yourself and you have that inner instinct that tells you this might be the one, then go for it. Bisinka oon qabso. :D

Viking   

The Prophet SAWS worked for the richest woman in Arabia; she was amazed by his honesty, humility and good general character so much that she got married to him. She later spent almost all her wealth in helping the Prophet spread the word of Islam and she also helped most of those who joined the ranks of Islam. She is one of the most honourable women to set foot on this earth.

In today's world, a woman with a BSc earns a few thousand more (annually) than a man who delivers pizza. When we compare this tiny difference to the difference between the Al-Amin (the honest worker) and Khadija (RA), you will see that there is a huge difference but that wasn't a hinder.

A woman should look at the character (of the man she wants to marry) and not how many days of the year he has spent sitting behind a school-desk.

Originally posted by rudy:

xalimo has this that blalalalala! just cuz u can write a sentence dont mean jack shyte!! show me the money!

Xalimos, list the degrees or certificates u have got so far!! cut the bull....!

shed-ze! u the first.......! show me the money!

i look high/low and couldnt find a xalimo with say at least business deg during my hunt days!!

this was my formula! me 60 she 50 = upper middle class...! that was just a wet dream!

i had to settle her making 25! now i am in deep hole! loooool. i am stuck till she graduates in 2007!! :confused:

You've been HAD, baby. Get over it.

Viking, in the UK education is far cheaper than it is in the States although things are changing. The array of courses available here are mind boggling. If a young man is not motivated enough to improve his mind, his financial position, his immediate family's, what friggin chance will a woman who married him for his character have of getting anywhere but backwards? Good character does not nullify irresponsibilty.

Pizza delivery out of necessity is one thing- I've had my share of woeful work- but to stay stagnant is shameful.

Pacifist   

Originally posted by Viking:

The Prophet SAWS worked for the richest woman in Arabia; she was amazed by his honesty, humility and good general character so much that she got married to him. She later spent almost all her wealth in helping the Prophet spread the word of Islam and she also helped most of those who joined the ranks of Islam. She is one of the most honourable women to set foot on this earth.

In today's world, a woman with a BSc earns a few thousand more (annually) than a man who delivers pizza. When we compare this tiny difference to the difference between the Al-Amin (the honest worker) and Khadija (RA), you will see that there is a huge difference but that wasn't a hinder.

A woman should look at the character (of the man she wants to marry) and not how many days of the year he has spent sitting behind a school-desk.

Spot on Viking whole heartly agree. Education doesn't guarantee you success and money baby today you have tomorrow its gone. Like Brother Viking said look at the character not what is in his/her pocket.

Castro   

Originally posted by Pacifist:

Spot on Viking whole heartly agree. Education doesn't guarantee you success and money baby today you have tomorrow its gone. Like Brother Viking said look at the character not what is in his/her pocket.

What are you people talking about? Education is neither mutually exclusive with having a good character nor with being a good muslim. A person SHOULD have all three. Why is this simple topic being twisted to mean those with education lack character and deen. This is ludicrous. Education guarantees nothing to no one, but in this day and age, and no matter where you live, you will not go far with out it. Must I beat this simple maxim into your heads?

I give up!

Edited to replace second to last sentence with: Must I ngonge this simple maxim into your heads?