Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

John Howard attacks Obama

Howard-Obama dispute watched by millions

By Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles

February 12, 2007

IT was hard to avoid Australian Prime Minister John Howard on American TV today.

That's what happens when a foreign head of state attacks the hot new star in American politics, Democrat Senator Barack Obama, who hopes to be the first African American president in the White House.

"Australian PM slams Obama on his war stance,'' a banner on the 24 hour TV news network CNN blared at the bottom of the screen during a story on the controversy.

American TV news channel, FOX News, ran the banner: "Australian PM: Terrorists will hope for Obama victory''.

The Obama-Howard stoush received second billing on the ABC TV network's main news bulletin, watched by nine million American viewers.

The top story on the ABC news was new evidence linking Iran to weapons used to kill American troops in Iraq.

The American media largely viewed the Obama-Howard story as a baptism of fire for the 45-year-old Illinois senator, who only announced yesterday that he would run for president.

"In this, his first full day as an official candidate, Democratic senator Barack Obama got a taste of the rough and tumble world of presidential politics,'' senior ABC correspondent Jake Tapper told his American audience.

"Obama, often criticised for his lack of foreign policy experience, had his plan to withdraw US troops from Iraq by March, 2008, attacked by an unlikely source - the prime minister of Australia, an ally of President Bush.''

FOX News political correspondent Carl Cameron told his viewers Mr Obama had found "himself in a sparring match on the international stage''.

"A controversy has erupted with the Australian prime minister John Howard, who has criticised Mr Obama and Democrats in general suggesting al-Qaeda and terrorists would benefit if elected in 2008,'' Cameron told his audience.

"At a news conference, Senator Obama slapped back at John Howard.''

The war of words began yesterday when Mr Howard, in a TV interview on Australia's Sunday program on the Nine Network, said he hoped Mr Obama would not be elected as president.

Mr Howard, a staunch ally of US president George W Bush, a Republican, said Mr Obama's plan to withdraw American troops from Iraq by March 31, 2008 would "destabilise and destroy Iraq''.

John Howard is a racist I doubt he would have bothered commenting on any white candidate who would have said the same thing.

Seems like he has diverted from the usual custom of not explicity commenting on presidential candidates.

Intel   

a a darkie bloke with a funny name that almost sounds like Osama..

ppl Johnny has every right to be concerned

N.O.R.F   

But i did like Obamas response

He said: "I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced.

"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops on the ground now, and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1,400, so if he is (ready) to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq."

"Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric," he added.

Emperor   

Howard is a racist to the core, I don't understand why would any foreign leader would interfere the internal politics of USA, It is entirely up to the American people to decide who wins their election but this latest remarks reveal Howard's racist character.

RedSea   

Racist SOB he is, and by the way who cares what a an Ausie politician thinks of a Candidate for U.S President. I don't think any American (with exception of few hard liners from the right spectrum) would pay attention to his saying. He can keep yapping.

Obama rocks ladies and gents!!! smile.gif

mantra   

Originally posted by rokko:

a a darkie bloke with a funny name that almost sounds like Osama..

ppl Johnny has every right to be concerned

:D

Wiilo   

Obama hits back after Australian PM slams his Iraq stance

CANBERRA, Australia (CNN) -- Australia's conservative Prime Minister John Howard said Sunday that victory for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama and his party in next year's presidential election would be a boon for terrorists.

"If I were running al Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats," Howard said, speaking on "Sunday," a TV show on Australia's Nine Network.

March 2008 is when Obama has said he would bring U.S. troops home from Iraq, according to legislation he introduced in the Senate.

Obama, who represents Illinois in the U.S. Senate, declared his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination in a speech on Saturday in his home state. (Obama makes his announcement )

Howard -- who faces reelection this year -- is a staunch supporter of President Bush and committed Australian troops to help the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Like Bush, Howard has come under increased criticism at home for supporting the unpopular war.

Australia has more than 1,000 troops in and around Iraq, many in non-combat roles.

Obama, campaigning in Iowa, told reporters Sunday he's flattered that one of Bush's allies "started attacking me the day after I announced (his presidential run) -- I take that as a compliment."

The Democratic presidential hopeful said if the Australian prime minister was "ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq," he needs to send another 20,000 Australians to the war.

"Otherwise, it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric," Obama said.

The Illinois Democrat dismissed the suggestion that his election would help terrorist groups, noting that even the Bush administration's "own intelligence agencies have indicated that the threat of terrorism has increased as a consequence of our actions over there."

When asked about Howard's comment, a senior White House official voiced support for the Australian leader.

"Prime Minister Howard knows that setting a timeline for a withdrawal sends the wrong signal to our enemies and sends the wrong signal to the Iraqi people," the official told CNN.

king_450   

If you read the history how Australia was created it will not surprise me or any other individuals. With the exception of the Native PPl the rest of the whites in Australia where thugs that was sent out of England for their crimes. The queen at that time sent all the criminals to Australia and mostly that is how is found. Now Your Prime Minister he was part of those criminals and anythign he says doesn't count.

^LOOOL, Actually your wrong there.

Quite alot of people sent to Australia were poor folks (e.g. the Irish) that committed no crime greater then stealing a loaf of bread. In anycase the majority of White Australians don't trace their ancestory to convicts but to settlors who came afterwards. But those who do consider it a source of great pride. I have met quite a few who have told me of their convict connections.

Chimera   

In this, his first full day as an official candidate, Democratic senator Barack Obama got a taste of the rough and tumble world of presidential politics,''

right now, telletubbies are plotting to asassinate a presidential candidate, my wife and daughter are in trouble and the people that i work with might be involved in both...

I'm Federal Agent Yusuf Bauer... and today is the longest day of my life :(