Sign in to follow this  
Business_Man

Her Smile Reveals ... Nothing

Guys, a word of advice: Next time a beautiful stranger smiles at you, don't get your hopes up. Chances are, she's not even interested in you.

A woman may appear to flirt with a man even if she isn't sexually attracted to him, according to a study by Karl Grammer of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Urban Ethology in Vienna.

The study, published in New Scientist, involved 45 pairs of strangers in their teens and early 20s who were videotaped through a one-way mirror. A researcher told participants they would be rating videos, then he excused himself to answer a phone call.

What occurred during the researcher's 10-minute absence was telling, Grammer said.

"The females use affirmative subliminal behavior to bring the male into a talking mode -- the more she nods, the more words the male produces," Grammer said. "This way the male reveals his tendencies."

Because men deceive women to get sex, women use positive signals -- nodding, smiling, tossing their hair -- to reveal their true selves, Grammer said.

The study found that although women always appeared to flirt at the beginning of the encounter, after a few minutes their actions began to reflect their true feelings toward the male.

In fact, the only time that women appeared disinterested was when the man talked too much. Men, on the other hand, are much harder to read because they don't use as many nonverbal signals, Grammer said.

But Jay Phelan, a UCLA evolutionary biologist and author of Mean Genes, came up with an alternative theory for the study's results.

"The women may have been responding to the good symmetry in the men," he said.

"Symmetry reflects some underlying genetic quality," Phelan said. "You may not be aware of it, but your genes are doing what's in their best interest."

Women may also appear flirtatious to get on good terms with a stronger animal -- the male.

"Anytime you're in an interaction where there's a dramatic difference in body size, you want to take whatever steps possible to make sure that the person is not a threat to you," Phelan said.

But he agrees with Grammer that women hone their nonverbal cues because mating is riskier for them. When a woman gets pregnant, she's stuck caring for the offspring while the man is free to pollinate the next flower, so to speak.

Animals do the same thing he added. For example, the female Western Grebe forces the male bird to perform an intricate dance for two weeks before settling down to nest.

"If he's good at the dance it shows he's committed and she selects him," Phelan said. "The same is true in humans."

Juxa   

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

continental,,,,,,,,,,that was so on the spot,

why do women smile?

i think to show they got stronger character then the man, take as an example, man meets woman, she smiles, automatically he feels comfortable and less nervous, so u can conclude we smile to anyone,,,merely cause we kind creatures and not wild flirts smile.gif

i agree when a woman smiles the man talks more, again it is basic instinct and natural woman behaviour for woman to take contral of the meeting, i mean men normally dont know where to go and which direction to take the conversation, marka ratiga waa in la hogaamiyaa,,,,,,even haduu strong yahay :D

women get disinterested if the man is talking nonsense,,,,,,,,,he can talk too much as long as he keeps her attention, note all u men outthere, the less u talk the more we want to get to know, try avoiding the I,,,,,did this and that and bari hore waxa jirey sheeko :confused:

continental,,,,,,,heedhe maxad dhahday, women flirt to get in good terms with the stronger animal smile.gif ..ina adeerow gacaliye maa naga daysid, how can he strong, ala and animal, when he melts as butter in our hands? when we control his whole feeling and reaction? when he needs our approval so badly? when all it takes is for us to SMILE?

nice article though :cool:

studies and research! r the biggest shames going on these days. some dude gets a fat grant to write a study about a subject! well, lemme ask u this? if that guy was u, would spicy it up or say, hey this is all about individual inherited characters! inorder to protect their reputations and get some grants in the future these guys give us spiced up stuff!

have u ever wondered why drugs banned in europe by researchers in europe are still legally sold in us or vice versa....

when it comes to ladies, u should know in 5 minutes how far u gonna go with her! otherwise u cluless!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUXA:

Salaan Sare to you walaal..I am glad you like my topic!. :D . Where would we be without a woman!. Do you remember that Song..."Its a mans world but it would be nothing without a woman!"

RUDY:

when it comes to ladies, u should know in 5 minutes how far u gonna go with her! otherwise u cluless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you realy judge a lady in five minutes?. Come on bro, bentaa nagathaa!. It takes quite sometime to know if a lady is interested in your or not but not by some flimzy 300 seconds. As they say "Action talks louder than Words"!

Lol. You guys are funny.

Anywayz, I believe it's just human instincts, a women smiles to be polite or in my case get the guys attention or to be friendly or it's just how they respond to strangers. Women smile for many reasons, some dumb research shouldn't conclude that all women are the same.

That's My Two Cents!

.:peace n luv:.

A7LA-SHU   

Originally posted by - diamond princess -:

Anywayz, I believe it's just human instincts, a women smiles to be polite or in my case get the guys attention or to be friendly or it's just how they respond to strangers. Women smile for many reasons, some dumb research shouldn't conclude that all women are the same.

i totally agree Diamond Princess..

i smile coz i love to smile, to be friendly.. :D that is me 24/7 unless im really mad..

by the way i had q... is it true somalian culture a girl shouldn't smile in public? coz that is what my mom says... is there reason for it??

LuCkY   

I agree with Diamond Princess on this, But i wont smiLe at just anybody i see-thats just me.

Mag-girL come again? We(girLz)shouLdnt smiLe because of somaLi cuLture?If that is true than i must say our cuLture is beyond weird. :eek: :rolleyes:

Anyone out there that can comment or straigthen this out-we wouLd appreciate it. :D

A7LA-SHU   

lucky i have no idea.. coz when i smile she is like im giving ppl the wrong signs or they'll get the wrong idea.. but for some add reason she doesn't mind when i smile for non somalis or non muslimz..i was like :eek: myself too.. so i don't know what up with dat..

if any of yo'll can answer dat would be great..

LuCkY   

I see where you are going with this. My mom doesnt say that but i have seen some somaLi Ladies with that sort of an attitude-if you ask me i smeLL hyprocisy(no pun intended)but thats just odd.

I dont remember but i read somewhere that if you smiLe at a musLim person its Like a reward or something-i couLd be wrong.A LittLe heLp wouLd be nice to aLL the nomads out there that might know a thing or two about this or where im going with this. :confused:

I apoLogize again i seem to have gone babbLing-this is the second time today that im doing this. Oh weLL i dont know if i made much sense here so... redface.gif

zak99   

Smile just mean politeness! i havent come across any studies that correlate human instinct to cause attractions. to me its those speechless message like eye contacts, continous starring and tender smiles. then my bomb goes off kaboom smile.gif

after, the conversation has to be magical! such that neither person wants to stop the conversation. if this happens to you, then u got the love bug nomads.