Sign in to follow this  
AfricaOwn

Probably the funniest Youtube video you will ever see...

Khayr   

So the liberal white middle class girl

got a rude awakening....whats the big deal?

I'm in the corporate world and reality speaks volumes. Liberal white people have this arrogance and guilt free approach to people. Their actions and speech are allows 'RIGHT' in there eyes.

I like the rebuttal that he made.

GG relax man and read and question get out of the denial stage bro.Where did you buy yours? :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/9chapter2.shtml

African Slave Owners

Many societies in Africa with kings and hierarchical forms of government traditionally kept slaves. But these were mostly used for domestic purposes. They were an indication of power and wealth and not used for commercial gain. However, with the appearance of Europeans desperate to buy slaves for use in the Americas, the character of African slave ownership changed.

GROWING RICH WITH SLAVERY

ROYALTY

In the early 18th century, Kings of Dahomey (known today as Benin) became big players in the slave trade, waging a bitter war on their neighbours, resulting in the capture of 10,000, including another important slave trader, the King of Whydah. King Tegbesu made £250,000 a year selling people into slavery in 1750. King Gezo said in the 1840's he would do anything the British wanted him to do apart from giving up slave trade:

"The slave trade is the ruling principle of my people. It is the source and the glory of their wealth…the mother lulls the child to sleep with notes of triumph over an enemy reduced to slavery…"

LIVING WITNESS

Some of the descendants of African traders are alive today. Mohammed Ibrahim Babatu is the great great grandson of Baba-ato (also known as Babatu), the famous Muslim slave trader, who was born in Niger and conducted his slave raids in Northern Ghana in the 1880's. Mohammed Ibrahim Babatu, the deputy head teacher of a Junior secondary school in Yendi, lives in Ghana.

"In our curriculum, we teach a little part of the history of our land. Because some of the children ask questions about the past history of our grandfather Babatu.

Babatu, and others, didn't see anything wrong with slavery. They didn't have any knowledge of what the people were used for. They were only aware that some of the slaves would serve others of the royal families within the sub-region.

He has done a great deal of harm to the people of Africa. I have studied history and I know the effect of slavery.

I have seen that the slave raids did harm to Africa, but some members of our family feel he was ignorant…we feel that what he did was fine, because it has given the family a great fame within the Dagomba society.

He gave some of the slaves to the Dagombas and then he sent the rest of the slaves to the Salaga market. He didn't know they were going to plantations…he was ignorant…"

Listen to Mohammed Ibrahim Babatu, great great grandson of the famous Muslim slave trader Baba-ato

SONGHAY

The young Moroccan traveler and commentator, Leo Africanus, was amazed at the wealth and quantity of slaves to be found in Gao, the capital of Songhay, which he visited in 1510 and 1513 when the empire was at the height of its power under Askiya Mohammed.

"...here there is a certain place where slaves are sold, especially on those days when the merchants are assembled. And a young slave of fifteen years of age is sold for six ducats, and children are also sold. The king of this region has a certain private palace where he maintains a great number of concubines and slaves."

SWAHILI

The ruling class of coastal Swahili society - Sultans, government officials and wealthy merchants - used non-Muslim slaves as domestic servants and to work on farms and estates. The craftsmen, artisans and clerks tended to by Muslim and freed men. But the divisions between the different classes were often very flexible. The powerful slave and ivory trader Tippu Tip was the grandson of a slave.

Listen to historian Abdul Sheriff introducing Tippu Tip's autobiography followed by a BBC dramatisation of the slave trader's own writing

The Omani Sultan, Seyyid Said, became immensely rich when he started up cloves plantations in 1820 with slave labour - so successful was he that he moved the Omani capital to Zanzibar in 1840.

Find out more about the Swahilis

PUNISHED FOR KEEPING SLAVES

The Asanti (the capital, Kumasi, is in modern Ghana) had a long tradition of domestic slavery. But gold was the main commodity for selling. With the arrival of Europeans the slaves displaced gold as the main commodity for trade. As late as 1895 the British Colonial Office was not concerned by this.

"It would be a mistake to frighten the King of Kumasi and the Ashantis generally on the question of slavery. We cannot sweep away their customs and institutions all at once. Domestic slavery should not be troubled at present."

British attitudes changed when the King of the Asanti (the Asantehene) resisted British colonial authority. The suppression of the slave trade became a justification for the extension of European power. With the humiliation and exile of King Prempeh I in 1896, the Asanti were placed under the authority of the Governor of the Gold Coast and forced therefore to conform to British law and abolish the slave trade.

SLAVERY DECREED BY THE GODS

In 1807, Britain declared all slave trading illegal. The king of Bonny (in what is now the Nigerian delta) was dismayed at the conclusion of the practice.

"We think this trade must go on. That is the verdict of our oracle and the priests. They say that your country, however great, can never stop a trade ordained by God himself."

Originally posted by Khayr:

So the liberal white middle class girl

got a rude awakening....whats the big deal?

I'm in the corporate world and reality speaks volumes. Liberal white people have this arrogance and guilt free approach to people. Their actions and speech are allows
'RIGHT'
in there eyes.

I like the rebuttal that he made.

I agree, especially from 3:30.

Cara.   

^LOL @ "The white man is wicked...according to the Bible". Clever, co-opting the narrative of others and turning it against them.

Fabregas   

@SN, White Europeans people enslaved each other for centuries and massacred each other like no other mans business,I quote this:

quote:" Changes in the medieval slave trade brought peoples from new parts of the world to Western Europe. From the late thirteenth century to the mid-fifteenth century, merchants from Genoa had purchased captives from Scandanavia and Slavs From Russia and the Balkans in the Black Sea slave markets located in the the Crimea and near the mouth of the Don River. By 1400, after the Turks conquered Constantinople IN 1453, West European slave dealer lost their acessto Black Sea markets. From the mid fifteenth century onward, the importance Genoan and Venitian slave merchants diminished as Castille and Portugal struggled for hegemony over the the Guninea coast of Africa and gradually introduced a new, largely African slave population in in Lisbon, Valencia and Seville. As Early as 1460, a Lisbon decree distinguishing between " black and white slaves" partly recognized the diverse slave origins............ ( Inventing Western Civilization: Thomas, C, Paterson, p.96).

So how is this any different from Africans? White Europeans enslaved each other too? However, the majority of African slaves that were brought to the Americas were forcefully captured by Europeans not literally sold out by other Africans. Lastly, there is no evidence to suggest that white Europeans weren't willing or didn't sell their own white Europeans to Turkish, Arab and African slave merchants. 1 million white European slaves are said have ended up in North Africa alone! Who do you think was selling and buying captured Greek Christians to the Turks? The Latin traders who had no qualms about buying and selling their own Catholic Brethren as human commodities from Turkish Muslims!

Skipper   

Chubaka you misquoted me there by saying all women are manipulators, some are but definately not all. Fatboy if i have accused all black peoples so what? Whats the big deal.

I never said whites never enslaved other white. We were talking about this guy who blames everything on white people. if he is going to blame then he should also blame his own people who traded their own. It is time for black people to wake up and start taking responsibility for their own destiny instead of blaming others forever. I mean look at our own somalis it is always somebody elses fault.

Fabregas   

I don't it is neccesary for an African American to blame other Africans for what happened to them. Because they have been in Europe and America for over five hundred years. Their hardwork on the sugar plantations in the Carribean is what drove the British economy to rise and produce all these Banks that exist today. So I support them when they speak out against the injustices that have been commited against them by a nation that claimed to be the most free on earth. Somalis living in Africa is a different issue altogether than a man who lives in America, which he should more of a right than most whites to be called an American and treated with full rights, something that didn't exist till the 1970s and some rights are still lacking!

You do admit they need to take some responsibility in changing their lives? Speak up but also do some action. Fight the drug dealers within the community. They are destroying more than the white people have done in the last 5 century. Educated African Americans are looked down by their own people. They have more opportunities than Africans. Divorce rate is high, teenage pregnancy is high, school droput and I can go on and on. Even somali refugees are doing better why?