Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gello - The proud Soma

Somali Community in the UK

Sayid,

C'mon sxb. I am actually portraying a postive picture of Somalis. Working in Policy, you often come across all these negtive estimations of Somalis, while most are true, sometimes a few of them raise your eyebrows. E.g - Somalis having the highest unemployment rate in the UK. While this is probably true, its partly our fault. When doing the census or any data collecting, Somalis do not declare their occupation. Also all the entrepeurship in the community is never mentioned. Whoes fault is that?

Ibtisam   

you often come across all these negtive estimations of Somalis,
while most are true,
sometimes a few of them raise your eyebrows.

I don't think so, most are NOT true.

BG, it does not add up, and out identities are defined by us, not based on who accepts us.

Goga? Gello!

highest unemployement!!! - every somali i know works - even the "single" mothers' hunsbands. there is this thing called Black Market you know - i know is not the most desired jobs or what not nor is halaal claiming benefits whilst working and all that has an impact on other things so cycle continues.

the question for me is "how do we break the cycle"

i have always said the first step is realise the reality and dump this "myth of return", then get on with the job of settlement for once - after you settled - you can think about returning. in other words 'GET OUT OF THIS BLOODY LIMBO' first.

Ibtisam   

^^^He has not answered my question, So I'm assuming he has something to hide. I don't advise anyone help him. Any research he is doing if it is legitimate has a synopsis which is freely available to anyone before they provide any information. If not then waa shady business.

EDIT: Looool @BG HAHA

NGONGE   

I don't know about you Africans but I'm a proud Bangladeshi. They are the only other nation in the world that usest he name Faarax. :D

(Ibti would know).

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Goga? Gello!

highest unemployement!!! - every somali i know works - even the "single" mothers' hunsbands. there is this thing called Black Market you know ..... the question for me is "how do we break the cycle"

Can you substantiate that? With proven facts! We don’t need anecdotal stories!

NGONGE,

Ever been called a 'charlie'? I bet your bengali friends call you all sorts of names behind your back!

Saqajaan   

Majority of somali's in the UK are jaad addicts and lost youth with no jobs or prospects. They are no different than the jamaican ja reers.

Originally posted by Warmonger:

Majority of somali's in the UK are jaad addicts and lost youth with no jobs or prospects. They are no different than the jamaican ja reers.

With that kind of mentality! I pity you. Jamaicans are civilised people who have a functioning country and you have the nerve to sit there and call them jareer! You are backward mate! you really are!

As for Khat: its a poor mans drug!

Saqajaan   

Mr. Gello

I'm not a believer of brushing dirt under the rug, somali's have real problems and they must be acknowledged, and jaad is the root cause of the social and cultural decay. We are still superior to jamaican and other jareers, but only by a small margin.

Ibtisam   

^^^Your lost case.

@ Gello^^^Jamaica is only barely more functioning than "Somalia" I don't know about civilised either; It was only last year summer that the drug lords took over half of the island and the government had to get help to fight them off the looted land and knock down new buildings. Only difference is we fight over clan, they fight over drugs and gangs. Like Somalia, everyone who can afford to run out of Jamaica, did so a long time ago, and they are suffering from brain drain like all 3rd world countries.