Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

She made it on her own - Elham Al Qasimi is the first Arab woman in the North Pole

chubacka   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Incidentally, in many UAE forums the most burning discussion was about the permissibility of going to the North Pole without a mehram.
:D:D:D

:D what did they decide?

chubacka   

lol @ the woman being pretty, I would have thought it was more interesting that she reached the north pole.

:rolleyes: @ m.e.n

I bet if a woman grew wings and flew the only thing they would comment on is if the woman was attractive to look at or not.

^ Soo maaha?

I think it's a great achievement and why not? Trekking to the NP is one of the most physically challenging things you can do. Well done to her.

About the mehram, who took the photo if there was no one travelling with her?

NGONGE   

^^ :D

Managing the cold was immensely challenging. I have a petite frame, therefore this was even more crucial for me. But I buckled down and stubbornly bombarded my guides for information and tips. It was so important in that situation to be humble about my own knowledge and capabilities. Most people on the expedition had immense outdoor and cold experience. For me it was different. It was deliberately the diametric opposite of anything I had grown up with or experienced. I wanted to succeed despite that.

When I arrived at the Pole, no part of me felt alone. My loved ones each wrote encouraging words in a small journal I carried with me. And as I approached the last 2 miles, I heard excerpts of it with each of their own voices. I could sense my nation willing me forward. It was a magical last 2 miles.