Sign in to follow this  
Faarax-Brawn

Cadriyad?!?!

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

quote:Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

KK,I will have you know am more than a sujuu. Am a Somapolitan. 1/4 Sujuu,1/4 a combination of Somaligalbeed & Southern Somalia & a fraction of Americanos. That,is what is called "Somalipolitan".

Ani 1/4, 1/4 kaaga ma'aqaniyee, mandhaza (i think that's what it's called) sida loo dubo hooyadaa isoo weydii...

Somalipolitan kuyeh...Walaahay anaga Sujuu yaashii aa nagu afbarteen... :rolleyes:
Kix Kix Kix Kix Kix, Wallahi jinni aa qabtaa. Mandhaza kulaha,kix kix kix, Mlendo gaa tahay maxaan dhahaa. :D:D

Eedo,Habartey mandazi ma dubto, Waxas foodleyda yaryarka aa sameyo LOL. I have tho' 1/2 dozen xalimo sisters who can cook like a Proffesional Mke Nyumbani[Martha stuart fadhiso,LOL]

I think,Dahia has the recipe for "Mandhaza" hehe

Blessed   

This is how we make ours, my Mum says that the ghee gives it a richer taste.

1. Heat some ghee ( about a table spoon) in a pan, add a bag of vermicelli.

2. Turn over until brown.

3. Gradually add about a mug full of water boiled in hail and some sugar.

4. Stir until soft.

Serve with surbiyaan / biriyaani. Delightful. My family only make it at casuumads but I've some relatives that make it every eid.

I'll try Dahias' white version, I love the coconut flavour.

Salma   

^^^^ yummy yummy, OMG, cadriyad with biryaani and I can touch the sky LOOL.

Ok ppl, both cooking methods of the Cadriyad that zenobia and Kahina said are correct. And its very normal to have differences in foods (from North to South).

My experience with cambuulo: I remember when I attended an engagement party and food was served. The place was quite, ladies were calm. Suddenly, I heard ladies shouting and saying " wow, wow , cambuulo, cambuulo. Something Like LONG LIFE cambuulo LOOL. I said what r they talking about? what is cambuulo?. And guess what, one spoon and I felt dizzy, it was too oily and full of sugar.

cambuulo and cadriyad. I think they match each others very well :D

In UAE, the local ppl eat it as a breakfast dish in the morning. It's called "Balaleet" but it contains egg.

^where have u been!!!?? Zenobia, I tasted your mother's cadriyad recently. It rocked. My mother uses butter. Indians also make sweet dishes out of vermicelli.

STOIC   

Brown, Lol with the Mandazi.... I had an incident with my girlfreind where I couldn't say the word Mandazi in Somali.I think our Somali people call it Quurac or Buur depending on where you came from south or north.

What is kiibiista ya mayai called in Somali? I have hard time with naming the Somali food in Somali.

And Why is it that caathriyata is served only during Ramathan and Xuuska?

Originally posted by Awlugeeye:

Brown, Lol with the Mandazi.... I had an incident with my girlfreind where I couldn't say the word Mandazi in Somali.I think our Somali people call it Quurac or Buur depending on where you came from south or north.

What is kiibiista ya mayai called in Somali? I have hard time with naming the Somali food in Somali.

And Why is it that caathriyata is served only during Ramathan and Xuuska?

No clue lol,Somalis dont have that,me thinks. I mean,most of their delicatsens are courtesy of rer xamars with out of this world names like Shushumow,macsharo & my favorite of all, I-cun :confused:

Dahia? Labda?! icon_razz.gif

Zenobia,I will like to try your mothers version smile.gif

Blessed   

^I forgot about one ingredient, just after you add the wtaer, add a handful of raisins.

Sheherazad,

Aha! ;) You lucky girl, I miss my mums cooking :(

what i miss is 'caano baraawe' ayeeyadey baa noo samenjirtey markaan yaraa, even the word brings her smile to my mind. Haven't had them since somalia,

Ms DD   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

what i miss is 'caano baraawe' ayeeyadey baa noo samenjirtey markaan yaraa, even the word brings her smile to my mind. Haven't had them since somalia,

I looove Caano baraawe myself. Guess what? I found something that taste similar at Ambala shop. It is called Habshi Halwa:

http://www.ambalafoods.com/products/product.php?id=amb_sw1100&type=sweet

I know it doesnt look the same but it tastes similar to caano baraawe. Try it.

Stores in London:

BRICK LANE

55 Brick lane

Aldgate East

Telephone: 020 7247 8569

EUSTON (Ambala-owned outlet)

112/114 Drummond Street

Euston

Telephone: 020 7387 3521

GREEN STREET

253 Green Street

Forest Gate

LEYTON

680 High Road

Leyton

Telephone: 020 8558 0385

PLUMSTEAD

62a High Street

Plumstead

-

Ms DD   

This cadriyad..I am confused. Is it sweets? if it is, why eat it with biryani? Cant I eat alone as a dessert? anyhow, There are many versions of it mentioned here. For a newbie like me, which one shall start with? and How does it really taste?

Malika   

^^Now I have to drive few miles to go get my fav Indian sweets,Pera,Baafi,Jalebi..alla dareerka!

Yes Cadriyad is sweet,yes you can eat it alone as a dessert,but some prefer the sweet an sour taste hence eating it with biryani ,pilau..

Ibtisam   

All these guys oo aah cooking pros baa iga yaabi, Canno geel and / Or Farah Brown Can you adopt my brother for a few weeks and teach him a few things baal. I am also considering send you few more referrals for adda ann aqanno oo hopless aah. smile.gif

Khina I now have another reason to come by yours :D coconut baariis and caadiyad! hmmm

-Lily-   

Cooking Farax's are terribly attractive aren't they Ghanima?

Mind you, FB said he was finding out for someone so he can't really reap the credit for this...

Dahia, Indian sweets look pretty but they are hard to stomach, like Xalwo...