Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

19 yrs old Somali student found fatally shot in Mpls

Jacpher   

Somali student found fatally shot on sidewalk in St. Paul

A 19-year-old St. Paul College student who emigrated from Somalia to Minnesota seven years ago was fatally shot early Monday near the St. Paul-Minneapolis border.

St. Paul police didn't immediately identify the victim, but family and community members said that his name was Shafici Ahmed and that he had been attending the St. Paul technical school.

"He was a nice guy, very honest, intelligent, friendly and sociable," said Dek Nur, 27, the victim's half-brother. "There is nothing I can do about losing my brother, but we'd like to find the person responsible and bring him to justice."

Police responded to a report of gunfire at the intersection of Berry Street and University Avenue W. about 3 a.m., said Sgt. Cory Tell, a St. Paul police spokesman. Officers found the man lying on a sidewalk; he had been shot multiple times, Tell said.

Investigators are still piecing together what led to the shooting, although they don't think it was random, Tell said, adding that investigators didn't know whether the shooting was gang-related. Investigators are asking anyone with any information about the shooting to call St. Paul police at 651-291-1111.

Omar Jamal, the leader of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center, said increased violent crime among Somali youth will be the topic of a conference on June 7 at 2 p.m. at the Hamline University Law School in St. Paul. Police officials will be invited to the forum, he said.

Staff writer Howie Padilla contributed to this report. Curt Brown • 651-298-1542

Here's Channel 5 News Video

Alla yarxamh.

ZOLA   

Alla yarxamh...may his soul rest in piece..i remember seeing the kid at a wedding not 2 long ago. i hope and pray 2 god that they find the killers and brought to justice..

A.A

Tuujiye   

Aamiin yaarabi..ilaahoo u naxariiso walaalkeen..

Is sad to hear orsee one of us gone walaahi.. all these kids where brought to this country so they could have a better life.. They ran from a gun, and they are now using them. guns don't kill people but people kill people..

Meesha ee geeridada taalo ilaah baa og.. Ilaaho U naxariiso maskiinka anaga xariga toosan na tusi..

Wareer Badanaa!!!

I heard some people saying the police picked some kids in mallka karmeel last night

I when to that party on Sunday and I heard that was where the fight started.

askme   

Life for a Life!

I would hunt the killer myself if they would do that to any of my family members. :mad: :mad:

A Life for a Life! redface.gif

RedSea   

assalamu Calaykum,

May Allah rest his soul in peace and forgive his sins.

there is a lesson in this for us all to not be out that late at night knowing that there is possiblity of the same thing happening to us.

I agree with "Aniga waaye", it's after that party which was also held near or on University Ave. in Minneapolis that might have been the starting place for the violence to occur.

As stated in the report, the brother went to St.Paul college, which I have also went to for one year and that is probably where I knew him from.

May Allah rest his soul in peace and forgive his sins and his family as well as all of us.

Assalamu Calaykum.

hodman   

Sad Wallahi how gang behavior among Somali youth in the Twin Cities is rising.

May Allah give him His mercy. I shudder to think at how sudden death is. No one leaves home for a party expecting something like this.

J.Lee   

^No one should leave home for a party without expecting something like this to happen.

Ilaahay ha u naxariisto.

Scary walee.