Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

IslamExpo 11-14 July.

Ibtisam   

Enjoy Europe's largest celebration of Islamic heritage, culture & traditions under one roof. 11- 14th July 2008Take your family along, it is good fun if you have kids. :cool:

CONCERTS

Abu Rateb

Junaid Jamshed

Kareem Salama

Mecca2Medina

Outlandish

Rachid Gholam

Sound of Reason

Zain Bhikha

URBAN YOUTH STAGE

hosted by mecca2medina

Arabingi (formerly known as UK Apache)

Baby Muslims

Fasabililah

Lil Mia

Craze the Palestinian

Minority/Rotation

Muslim Belal

Nomadic Poet/The Planets

Pearls of Islam

Truthful Movement

Young Ummah

COMEDY

Aman the Asian Sensation

Bilal the Halal

Mo Amer

Prince Abdi

Uncle the Invisible Nigerian Muslim Brother

FILM

Films, Documentaries & Cartoons for all ages.

SILAT

Discover the ancient martial art from Indonesia.

14 Spectacular Zones include:

SPORTS

Meet celebrities from the cricket and football world. Observe our football tournaments and martial arts demonstrations.

COOKERY

Meet the ExpoChef. Watch our celebrities and London's top restaurant chefs cooking.

FUN

Enjoy bouncy castles to exciting rides, fun for all the family.

FASHION

Sister's only Fashion Show and displays of garments from around the world.

HEALTH & LIFESTYLE

Indulge in health and beauty treatments, get advice or simply put on some henna.

ISLAMIC GARDENS

Relax and reflect in our Persian, Andalucian, Mughal and Ottoman Gardens. Listen to Quran recitation, storytelling and poetry.

LECTURES & SEMINARS

Listen to key speakers, academics and thinkers from around the world.

ENTERTAINMENT

Watch performances, films, theatre, nasheeds & comedy.

ISLAMIC ART & EXHIBITIONS

Wander through the galleries, explore exhibitions and take a journey back in time through the interactive Islamic history timeline.

CAREERS

Get help with a new CV and receive advice on a career change.

SOUK

Look out for hijabs, abayas, perfumes and art, all can be found in this traditional arabian Bazaar.

WORKSHOPS

Participate in art, textiles, music and sports workshops. Catering for school groups and general visitors.

ETHICAL INVESTMENT IN BRITAIN CONFERENCE

Help promote Britain as a major centre for ethical investment.

DEBATES BY

The Guardian, Demos, Conflicts Forum, Forward Thinking, TUC and NASACRE.

For more information check the website or call 0845 108 5101

Venue: Olympia London

Nearest Tube: Kensington Olympia

Tickets: 0871 230 7138

-Lily-   

Thanks for the reminder Ibti, I saw it advertised on the tube. The Souk sounds good, Islamic art and Hijabs here I come. Do you think they'll have turkish hijabs? I've been trying to buy some with no success. Only sulution might be going to Istanbul?

Laba-X   

I fail to see what is Islamic about these events!

I fail to see how it represents Islamic heritage and Islamic culture!

I fail to see how it portrays Islamic Traditions!

N.O.R.F   

LX, I think you’re being a little harsh there saxib. Such events should be welcomed. Its not your average attend a lecture by Sheikh so and so but they do provide information to both Muslims and non-Muslims.

It is, if my understanding is correct, focused on:

a) bringing Muslims together (people come over from Europe just for the event)

b) exposing Islam, it’s history and it’s culture to a wider audience (there were many non-Muslims present a few years ago)

Read this from the website:

Time Line

Go back in time and discover Islamic history from its birth to the current time. This unique experience-orientated journey will transport you into history and back.

The Time Line will introduce visitors to Islamic history through a visually stimulating, rich and inspiring journey back in time. The zone will cover 6 eras of Islamic history, starting from the Dawn of Islam, through to the Ottoman era. A team of talented artists, designers and architects is working to create a unique experience, through the use of visual projection, atmospheric music, and actor narration.

I don’t think one should expect a full and detailed lecture on Islam, it’s principals etc as that is freely available at Mosques, Book stores, courses etc. An appetizer aimed more specifically at non-Muslims is the focus.

Again, if you go to the website you will see this:

The Experiential Zone

Feed your mind with 1400 years of Islamic history, civilisation, literature and lifestyle. Let Islam Expo take you on a journey of discovery.

Located in the Upper Gallery, the Experiential Zone will introduce visitors to the diversity and richness of Islamic civilisation, covering faith, science and knowledge, art and culture, language and literature, and lifestyle, through a vast array of exciting exhibits and interactive displays.

DISCOVER the DEPTH, DIVERSITY & DYNAMISM of ISLAMIC CIVILISATION

Faith Zone

Explore the tenets of Islam, its doctrines, scriptures, and relation with other world religions, through fascinating exhibitions of ancient precious rare manuscripts and fun interactive displays

Or look into:

The Quran (in association with Exhibition IslamExhibition)

This wing is dedicated to the Islamic holy text, the book of wisdom, light and guidance. A rare opportunity to behold the magnificent calligraphy of Qur’ans through many centuries of Islam from the first century of Islam to stunning pieces from Spain, Indonesia, India, Africa, the Middle East and beyond. See the beauty and tranquility which epitomises the Qur’an and inspired calligraphers across the world.

Islam & Other Religions (in association with Exhibition Islam)

Across the Islamic World people of other religions have lived and prospered as well as practising their faith. Indeed some of the world’s oldest churches and synagogues exist not in Europe, but in the Muslim world. This wing offers an unprecedented chance to view a rare collection of Torah Scrolls and Christian Bibles from around the Muslim World.

The Five Pillars of Islam

This collection of unique interactive exhibits has been commissioned with the aim of introducing visitors to the five pillars of Islam, covering the testimony of faith, prayer, fasting, almsgiving and pilgrimage, in an engaging and fun way through animations, photographs, audio-visuals and exciting quizzes.

Science & Knowledge

Discover the unknown contributions of the Muslim civilization to astronomy, geography, trade, and other branches of science through interactive displays and rare manuscripts and artefacts (on loan from Exhibition Islam)

The Prophet’s Mosque

A wing dedicated to the early architecture of Prophet’s Mosque in Medina, through specially created and previously unseen models of the earliest developments of the mosque of the Prophet, the model of later mosques and Islam’s second holiest place.

The ‘Sounds of the Muslim World’ Corner

A chance for the visitor to experience the musical riches of the Muslim world, with samples of the call to prayer, Quranic recitations, melodic chants accompanied by music, percussion and traditional music.

You need only go to the website and see the diverse events taking place. Many people only wish these events were taking place in their country let alone their own city (such as myself).

Aha, you also get to see a good game:-

Interfaith Football Tournament:

Come and see Imams, Priest and Rabbis from different cities competing with one another in this game of football. The teams will play in a group stage; the top two from the groups will progress to the semi final and the final respectively.

Now that would rival the Auld Firm (Glasgow Rangers vs Glasgow Celtic) clash any day :D

http://www.islamexpo.com/index.php

NGONGE   

^^ NO. It's miles away from me. Plus it will be full of timo jilic (and I have lately developed an allergy to that lot). When is the Islam Channel one? Or is this the same one?

Still, that does not stop it from being an Islamic event. ;)

Miriam1   

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

I fail to see what is Islamic about these events!

I fail to see how it represents Islamic heritage and Islamic culture!

I fail to see how it portrays Islamic Traditions!

Dude, how can you can see anything with that kefiya all over your face?

ps. Love such events, for Toronto folks don't forget "Muslim Fest" this August.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ NO. It's miles away from me. Plus it will be full of timo jilic (and I have lately developed an allergy to that lot). When is the Islam Channel one? Or is this the same one?

Still, that does not stop it from being an Islamic event.
;)

Why do I get the feeling you're being sarcastic saxib? Or is it the cynicism? icon_razz.gif