Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Extravagant Weddings in the Somali Community

Kool_Kat   

^Ee markii la'i aroosaayay duq ma'eheen...Waan yaraa...Really waan yaraa, I wasn't born duq you know! SHIDH...

Fufu, shib iga dheh kuwaan lee istusooyaayee, mid fardo iyo seefo leh aan sameysan lahaa - BOQORTOOY STYLE...Laakiin waa iga hoos baxday, jaceylaa ihaayay...Waagaas waxaan iska ahaa kuwa ka dambeeyo jaceylkeenaa nagu fulan...Shib iska dheh... :D

Siren, I am actually a real maskiinad...But not to be mistaken for a fool...I have razor blades for nails... ;)

No really, I hate attention, and that's probably one of the main reasons why I didn't have a wedding...Ma caawa dhan adigalee halagu fiiryo! Hayaay!!

LOL Walee- Maskiinad baad-ahayd- waligaa maad maqlin-istus-nimadu waa reer magaalnimo? LOL

I'm joking but seriously though, and no disrespect to you, but when a man comes to get a woman from her family-he should play her some kind of tribute traditionally speaking its in the form of a public wedding where goats, sheeps and camels are slaughtered.

But if both parties equally choose not to draw attention to themselves? Then obviously that's their decision, but my mother would probably slap me five ways to sunday if I ever tried to get hitched the quiet way- which is in her books is akin to an oldfashuioned elopment to Gretna Green.

In anyscase usually wedding aren't for the bride but for the parents of the bride and groom and the prospective family members. Thus I live solely to please them *scratches her middle finger-almost feeling the weight of the 45 carat diamond ring destiny has planned for her* :D ..Let me dream woman.

Kool_Kat   

Hold-up right there missy...Just cuz I didn't have a wedding didn't mean he was home free with a beautiful boqorad such as moi...No way! The way he puts it, at times, he would say 'ameyba ii fiicneed inaan aroos kuu dhigo'... :D There's a maskiin and then there's a fool...I made sure my family were happy, and lacagta uu aroos kusameyn lahaa inee iyaga helaan... ;)

Ms DD   

KK

Actually My bro and K had similar weddings to you. Sheikha and 2 witnesses and the groom.

My opinion is that the money be used for nice short holiday, shopping, guri reasonable ah dhigo and sending qaraabo money back home si ey kuugu duceyaan. That is a beatiful wedding.

Whether some spend $20 and $40k, what is fifteen for us :D The whole thread is based on hearsay and exaggerations.

Eeddo KK, arooskaaga anaba xalwa ka xunee sug.

Fabregas   

Marx;

I believe one should only pay/spend the market price. Do not be forced to pay inflated or distortionary prices like Mancity Arab owners. one should buy a calculator and literally calculate if he is paying over the market equilibrium( worked out using a number of indicators such as age, looks, intellect, lineage, deen) for that particular women. When you have done all your calculations, approach the family with the paperwork/graphs and tell them exactly how much you are willing to spend on their priced asset. This way you can't be mugged off by the sirens of this world. :D

Salams.

as long as you have your friends and family, it really shouldn't matter. and by Somali weddings, do we mean those midnight receptions? I anyways, what I don't get is back in the mag, we use too have a lot of wedding at the house and they use be day long events if not few days where they did the "xeedo fur" and lavash dinners, life music and a lot of dancing. So why do Somalis not have back yard or garden weddings anymore?

^They could, I want mine in a grand forest habouring mythical creatures overing looking a crumbling 15th century castle. LOL...in truth though, it would be lovely to have it outdoors where the sun is shining and children are playing and water is sprinkling near by like the gardens of eden. Rather lovely.

Kool Kat!- Ileen THATS! how you got your parents to keep happily quiet? You stashed their mouths full of your dowri money huh? LOL-Very generous of you-I intended to drink mine and deman more for the them *jerks at her parents* LOL. But I suppose if they're happy and you are? Its perfectly fine, each to their own and all that.

Lucky for him that the man you ended up marrying not only had an understanding as well as shy bride but a tolerant and "anti-flamboyant" mother inlaw. He hit the jackpot all right, though like you said, I'm sure you continue to make him pay for it every day of his life. :D

Fabregas- I was born to be difficult dee, I have no choice but to live up to my destiny. *sighs and dreams of riding a white unicorn (instead of a limo) to her wedding banquit. ........*tries not to laugh*

Buuxo   

LoL@Siren,How about having it in a Cave? I think it could be lovely.

MARX,Who says the weddings in the 'Good old days' weren't extravagent & expensive. I Tell you my Ayeeyo's wedding stretched over a week of celebrations,Each day & night all kinds of Food & festivities were on the menue.So that's a ot of Geel & Ari.

Lol@ the Siren. Come to think of it, I loothe anything extreme nowdays, maybe it is a maturity issue. In my teen years(surprising not too long ago) I was all for LAVISH weddings and is tus tus as in " My wedding will be the talk of the town." But lately, I dont like weddings for billions of reasons; qaylo iyo buuq, stress,dehydaration, putting one'self in indebt etc. Plus I have severall friends who both had Extravagant(Expensiv e hotel, eight-meal course, very famous singers, 7 days spa treatment,the whole nine yards so much so that the hotel staff were convinced she was wealthy beyond means)weddings and small family/friends gathering for a nice, intimate dinner. And the ones who went all out REGRET it big time because their pics were blastered all over the internet the next day, and NO ONE except family and friends had nice things to say. And plus, they're still paying for the loans they took out and financial problems put strain in their relationships.

Now that I'm settling down, I'm thinking a generous dowry to quiet down my family(who happen to be very private people, dislike to draw any attention), a nice qado at meherka, girls nights-out followed by nice dinner/dessert at a gorgeous restaurant for my dear friends, followed by honeymoon sounds incredibly good.

Originally posted by Fabregas:

This way you can't be mugged off by the sirens of this world.
:D

I agree Fabregas, its people like Siren who are responsible for the increases in these pathetic and unnecessaryly extravagant weddings. Her carnivorous fangs will intimidate even a man's man to spilt with his hard earned cash.

Not so long ago, one couple in my city hired a horse-drawn carriage. Don't know whether that's OTT but it certainly was a first for the Somali community!

horsedrawn-carriage-landau001.jpg