Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Extravagant Weddings in the Somali Community

The increase in ridiculously extravagant weddings in the community is a worrying trend. I was told of a wedding costing £20,000 that ended in divorce 6 months later. its a tragedy. Another story that came to light was when the couple had such an expensive wedding that there was no food in the fridge the following day after the wedding was consummated.

Its tacky to have extravagant weddings. People who tend to have these weddings are lacking in self-esteem and therefore require the validation of the rest of the community. Its a pity.

The Two biggest money wasters in the Somali community in the diaspora are unnecessaryly extravagant weddings and building mansions back in the Somali Peninsula. Instead of investing in their host nation and thus becoming more successful through integration, Somalis tend to see their settlement as short term and as result plunder money down the drain.

The Good Old Days

somalia2-126.jpg

Tacky and unecessary

5059_94913124249_675814249_1862861_50385

Ms DD   

Wasnt the original subject was "what to do at the weekend?" Faheema was kind enough to reply to ur orinal qs n narrow down ur choices before u changed the topic! Cakuye smart alec-ness!

Ibtisam   

Lool Faheema replied to a different thread all together. Thats what you get for trying to help a brother out yarrey.

Anyway Haye MArx, did that girl aad daab caarires for a while request you pay for a small wedding and now you are pissed for kuwa maskaxda kaa xaadey. :D

Anyway £20,000 for Six months is cheap! He got a good deal, I head about the £40,000 wedding and divorce after three days. Story is he took a loan out for some of it too :D

Salma   

I don't think that divorce after six months was a result of the lavish wedding, it could be one of the reasons, but necessarly the main... Giving the chance to the brainless people to rule and ruin your life could be a reason too.

Listening to ALL people ALL time under ALL circumstances is a problem, when you don't decide for your life and all what you care about is to spend much on ur wedding just to satisfy the society demands, then you are not planning well for your life

"Well, fulana is not better than me when she held her wedding a high 5-star hotel and did this and that, why not for me too"... Reality says, Fulan and Fulana aka Mr. Farax and Miss.Halimo got a big loan from the bank in first place or spent their savings on their wedding...

Wedding day should be a good day to be remembered not by how much money was spent, but by how many years followed that day...

Kool_Kat   

£20,000 wedding? WOW! Was it an open bar? :D

What I find very amusing is, it is usually the guys who complain about weddings costing too much end up with wedding that actually cost too damn much!

How soon or long after couples divorce has nothing to do with the type of wedding they had...Calafka alaa haya...

Ms DD   

Qudbo siro...i love that and support that 100percent. If it was halaal. such fuss waa la avoid gareyn lahaa.

Marx

My wedding didnt cost arm and a leg :D

What kind of old bollocks are you on about “the good old days” as if people back then were not as extravagant and women not as frivolous and fastidious as today? I don’t know what kind of miskiin weddings you’ve been to sugar but Somalis as a general rule get hitched in style. As should be the case.

This whole thread, lets be honest dee- its just an excuse for cheap b*stards to vent their frustrations, because no respectable Somali woman who has been raised correctly and has pride would ever allow herself to be conned into being married with one MS suffering gad-weyne sheik, three toothless disgruntled uncles and two sambuuso’s to share between the four of them.

Keep your cheap-@ss fake-pseudo “Islamic” weddings to yourself and stop this cheap nonsense, the more extravagantly ludicrous and pricey the wedding, the better. Lets not forget it’s a celebration of bringing families together-making new connections and supporting each other-it’s a blessing. So get to work boys, because real Somali women aren’t for free. smile.gif

MZanzi   

aniga aroos la dhahaayo arooskan eesh calaa u ahaa aanba ilaa hada la'ahay guys save your money somali aroos walba hadi udhigataan wax le inika sheegaayaan

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by The_Siren:

no respectable Somali woman who has been raised correctly and has pride would ever allow herself to be conned into being married with one MS suffering gad-weyne sheik, three toothless disgruntled uncles and two sambuuso’s to share between the four of them.

Don't know about the MS suffering gadh-weyne sheikh, and the three toothless uncles, but I'll have you know this respectable Somali waman who was raised correctly and has pride leaking out of her you know where had no wedding...It was cuz we didn't have the means to have a wedding, it was just cuz neither one us is the show off type who seek attention from other or validation...Thank you very much!

Call me old, but having a huge wedding does not mean one is raised any better than tan ninkeeda dhulka laseexaneyso...I rather have a meaningful marriage without the baqbaq, than one night of hoohaahee oona qub iyo qac la'iskula joogo...

EDIT:

PS, at my meher, it was my husband, two witnesses, and sheikha...They didn't even get three sambus to share... :D

MZanzi   

^^^Caqliga aan kugu jeclahay ..i would never advice my sister to have extravagant wedding dadka somalida istus tuski aa kabatay iyo aduunka waxa kuleedihin halkaas maalin aa laga dhaahiciyay

^- Kool-kat LOOOOOOOL! Holy sh*t!

Well, erhem...er? *Stutters and clears her throat*

What can I say other than? You were obviously a miskiinad. LOL-*Runs off before shes Karbaashed*