Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

THE MAN IN THE CORNER

Abtigiis   

The man in the corner

Unlike Father Mukunori on his life in the days of liberation in Zimbabwe, “the man in the middle”, Adan cannot write an autobiography, but if he could, it would perhaps have taken the title ‘the man in the corner’. He claims he watches the earth moving in fast motions from his corner Bacadle shop. But like father, he is finding it hard how somethings never change and others move fast, as he gazes at the political and social upheavals that are transpiring before his own eyes.

Twelve years ago, no one in his village was as privileged as he was. And thanks to his bloated pot-belly, which he hears is nowadays so much out of vogue that people have to throw away a lot of money to shed it and all excess flesh. Twelve years ago, when he went to a nearby shop with Abdullahi-dhuux, he saw what happened. The shop owner- a stranger to both of them let him take cloths for the ‘ciid’ on credit, while he rejected the same request from the thinner man. As he felt his pride in his belly was consummated by the reverence the man at shop gave it; and the consequent trust that followed, he started drinking even more “cow milk oo la kar-kariyay’ as a matter of self-transformation. He has to get bigger!

But that was twelve years ago. Today, from the comfort of his Bacadle, he saw the young boy who insulted him last week. Adan uur-tanag; that is what he called him. If only the same young boy saw the pride his mother felt when she saw Adan was among the ‘odayaal’ sent to ask for her hand. He was so graceful that everyone in the village felt honoured to have him in every ceremony from Gabadh la doonayo, mid loo ergaynayo, tu la furayo, tacsiyo, or big ducco. And part of the attraction was his belly.

The sight of the boy took his mind away from the mundane thoughts. And he quickly saw his young boy who is languishing in prison on false crimes. He recalls the face of the young man, Cali-Faysal, as he pleaded for mercy when the prosecutor read out his crimes. “This young man despises out party, its proletarian ideology, and all that symbolizes the struggle of the oppressed labourer that he stared at the sickle and hammer emblem of our revolution isagoo ukuyaalo xidhan (through sunglasses)”, the charges were read. But, the boy denied ever wearing such things. And truth be told, he didn’t even had one. So, it was a tale of injustice at its zenith when the judge, a party cadre, passed a damning verdict. And since then, Adan never saw him. He served ten years the last time the system collapsed, but he never lived to see the new dawn of hope.

“What hope?”, Adan couldn’t answer that question. He saw a new beast in the form of “anti-terrorism” ideology. With all the insignia of paranoia and demagoguery that were the hallmarks of the defunct communism. And he felt sad for the young boy who thinks misery and intolerance was the thing of the past.

“Again, that has to worry someone with something to lose; not me” Adan thought. For now, he was dumbfounded to understand why his eighteen year old girl- Asma refused to eat food for days when it is not the fasting season yet. She said, “She is on diet”. Maybe, his former wife is lying to him. She is the one who told him the story from where they live.

Something, a lanky man turned up across the road towards the Xamaam next to his tiny outdoor shop. Everything he saw doesn’t make sense. He saw the man who broke his leg, accusing him of being ‘anti-peace’ six years ago, going to take a bath, and strangely there were urge to jump and break his neck. He wondered if any amount of soup would ever cleanse that crook of his sin. He was surprised even killers are humans, after all; and do need what any of us need: shower.

Of all the anti-peace, anti-development, anti-government, anti-constitution, anti-this and anti-that they accused him, he knows he wasn’t any. Had they said, ‘anti-Cudbi’- his wife who lost one of her front teeth after he hit her with his head, he would have agreed.

After all these years, the world is full of killers, accusers, invaders, liberators, conspiracies, and human tragedies. Hardly any thing changed for him from the days of headless communist cadres to hitherto when agonists and betrayers harass his nation.

But too much has changed in the thinking of his community that he is now called ugly, his child refuses to eat food and his once submissive wife threatens to sue him if he dares to touch her. And he feels bad.

Gediid   

^^^Have to admit his stories are way funnier and more entertaining than what you post sxb.Adiga waxaan odhan lahaa thread u gaar ah ha loo sameeyo and your participation strictly limited to that thread ONLY.

AT keep them coming SOL beryahaan waan nacey xikmad la'aan owgeed but your posts ayaa igu soo celiyey.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Gediid:

^^^Have to admit his stories are way funnier and more entertaining than what you post sxb.Adiga waxaan odhan lahaa thread u gaar ah ha loo sameeyo and your participation strictly limited to that thread ONLY.

AT keep them coming SOL beryahaan waan nacey xikmad la'aan owgeed but your posts ayaa igu soo celiyey.

Amin to that buddy :D

The Zack   

I agree with Gediid. Atleast he is not copy-pasting them like some. We should appreciate if someone is being creative.

Abtigiis   

^Kaalay JB, dee hadda waxaagu waa af-lagaadee! Ma nin la waali karaan kuu la ekahay.

You have every right not to read whatever trash I post, and to advise me on how I time it; but to suggest I am a fool is quite rude and unbecoming of a gentleman. You are not funny.

Are you having a bad day ???? ,,,, cid ku tidhi Fool baad tahay ma jiro unless you believe so lakin waxaan ku leeyahay uun iska ilaali yaan jar lagaaga boodine.

Abtigiis   

Yaan iska ilaaliyaa? And by the way, you are repeating the same insult? Don't you know giving advices when not solicitd by the receiver can be quite offenive. And afterall, what is the shame if someone doesn't like what I post? Everybody posts what he thinks is fuuny, relevant, educating and so and so. In a wide forum like this one, tastes are going to vary and some will hate what one posts, some will like, some won't read and some will be bored. That is quite natural. I don't know how that reflects back on my personality, and why I should keep guard??? for sure, I am not going to get marks for all the comments I reflect here. So why would I worry?

I assume those who don't like what I post have the freedom to say so, or to ignore or whatever. If someone feels bad inside, it is his headache. Which tells me something.

You obviously worry too much about impressing people, and not entertaining yourself. Which Psychologists will have a word for: Complexity.

Well, i'm outa here ,,,, i hope i won't see you tomorrow saying Password kaa la iga xaday ee aniga muu ahayn.

Let's enjoy the life mate .....................

Abtigiis   

Look JB- you are good guy. But that you are afraid to apologise for your blunder [gaf qof kasta ka dhici kara] shows that you have a problem. Just say 'sorry if I hurted any feelings'. That is not a bad thing. It is a measure of once's wisdom.

And don't worry too much about what wrong you have done or whether it is wrong or not; if I feel you wronged me by your comments, it is enough. You either explain [not always the best thing to do] or you apologise.

Meesha waan kaaga tagay ama maanta waad wareersan tahay kaa wadi mayso.