Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

A Shortage of Good Somali Women?

Sick and tired of somali men getting the short end of the stick.....

maybe if somali women were a little more patient and obedient then things wouldnt be so bad.

perhaps the idea that somali men are all useless and have faraxinimo tendencies is not true and should be reconsidered. far too many assumptions flying around these days.

the natural question to be asking is are somali women good enough?

Where have all the good men gone? The coming of age of the ‘lost generation’.

by Y. Ismail

Saturday, October 03, 2009

A few days ago as I sat nonchalant reading an article for a class at one of the many cafes that litter the university campus I attend, I happened to overhear two Somali sisters conversation. One of the sisters was modestly dressed while the other was a more modern ‘liberal’ minded sister. After talking about their courses, professors, and future ambitions (they were both political science majors and wanted to go on to law school), the topic soon turned to love and marriage.

“There are no Somali guys worth marrying,” the liberal sister stated. “They’re all such losers. No ambition, no drive, no interest. They’re all just wanna be thangs.” Then a ten minute rant bashing Somali men followed. As the liberal minded sister continued on her rant, I couldn’t help but smirked to myself because I had been expected the conversation to ‘go there’. Never have a group of Somali women gather without complaining about Somali men. However, these days the vitriol seems to have intensified and who could blame them? We as Somali men have given them plenty of reasons to be angry with us. Many of the older Somali men living aboard have abandoned their families to return home in search of political glory and new young wives. Their sons having no father figures to look up to have mostly become “gangstas” and ended up in jail, if not dead. But though Somali women have always complained about Somali men, they have always stood by us, and support us…that is until this new generation.

The conversation between the two Somali sister from there then turned to marrying outside the Somali community. The liberal minded sister said she would consider marrying a non-Somali, and the other sister asked her if the stigmatism attached to that would not bother her. “Who are they to judge me?” she replied. In fact, more and more brighter sisters have chosen to look elsewhere for husbands feeling our community has nothing to offer them.

What’s significant about the new generation of young Somali adults is that because of the civil war many of us were either born or raised aboard. We’ve had to learn quickly how to blend our parents’ traditions, expectations, and culture with that of the new country in which we were raised. This is a delicate balancing act and there are few people who have managed to successfully balance both. Many have been lost through large gaps that exist between the two cultures, others have succeed and still other believed they have succeed but are truly lost. The guys in jail and who think they’re thangs are the most obvious example of failure but the not so obvious example is the liberal minded sister in the story. She personifies perfectly the Somali who thinks that they are so high above their own race that they can bash them in public. She may have been successful at school but she still lacked a great deal of decorum and culture.

As I got up from my table to head to class I passed by the table the Somali sisters were sitting at and placed a card on it. “There’s still some successful Somali guys around. We’re not all extinct yet.” I said giving them a cocky smile, before walking off. The liberal sister picked up the card and read my name, “Mahad Omar, Ph.D candidate Political Science”. She starred after me too surprised to speak.

source

looooooooooooooooooo oooooooool@“There’s still some successful Somali guys around. We’re not all extinct yet.”

She personifies perfectly the Somali who thinks that they are so high above their own race that they can bash them in public. She may have been successful at school but she still lacked a great deal of decorum and culture. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PHD=Successful Somali guy…thank you for the laughter I needed that today. Loooooooooooooooool

Ibtisam   

^^I think you mean “Ph.D candidate= successful Somali guy. lol :D Trouble is even the one who finished college/ uni wants people to congratulate him and be impressed. Why should anyone congratulate you for doing the normal natural free route that you are suppose to take. :confused: The candidate and two degree farah self important-nimo is going to kill them.

Ibtisam   

^^Walalo, he made it up, Somali girls always look around and make sure no one is around that looks Muslim, let alone and farax with big ears :D

IBZ is clearly a proponent of the whole somali men are useless doctrine. kulaaha he made it up, you cant verify that so iska amus please.

Assumptions IBZ are a dangerous things. What the guy suggested happens on the regular. That is all somali women talk about: To bash Somali men. uff.

Originally posted by Resistance:

The question is why was he listening to their convo in the 1st place and then write an article about it.

So that you and others can read the story on SOL ,,, :D

Ibtisam   

Speaking of assumptions flying around:

Never have a group of Somali women gather without complaining about Somali men.

Really and he knows this how :confused:

But though Somali women
have always complained about Somali men
, they have
always stood by us
, and support us…that is until this new generation

Really??

I like how he labelled them based on their dress. :D Oh and he can read minds too, she was too suprised to speak kuulaah.

Originally posted by Resistance:

The question is why was he listening to their convo in the 1st place and then write an article about it.

LOOL :D:D Ruunti that is quite peculiar. What man would listen to a couple of Somali women and their pathetic conversation? I reckon he is exaggerating but the theme of the article is still rampant in the daily tirades of self-opinionated bile of Somali women.

It's not just Somalis, it happens to pretty much every minority group in the world when they enter a world dominated by another culture. A few are bound to be lost to the prevailing culture.

Culture change affects both sexes, but in different ways. Where with girls it mostly affects the way they dress, with boys it seems to affect their behaviour (as there are no major differences in men's dressing but a big difference in their social behaviour).

What Somalis need are positive role models. There are a few but it seems that whenever someone becomes successful they are so consumed by their job, they don't have time to be role models. Then there are a few who think they're too good for the Somali community, and only enjoy being in the company of the members of the prevailing culture.

And then there's of course the rest of us who go "kaasna maxuu yahay" or "muxuu yacaanaa". It seems we only reserve our respect for those of white skin colour or a long dead Somali. The last paragraph's for ALL OF YOU in this thread :D .