Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Baggy pants crackdown goes national!

We don't want to see your backside... .

TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- It's a fashion that started in prison, and now the saggy pants craze has come full circle -- low-slung street strutting in some cities may soon mean run-ins with the law, including a stint in jail.

art.pants.jpg

Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine.

A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta, Georgia. And in Trenton, New Jersey, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

"Are they employed? Do they have a high school diploma? It's a wonderful way to redirect at that point," said Trenton Councilwoman Annette Lartigue, who is drafting a law to outlaw saggy pants. "The message is clear: We don't want to see your backside."

The bare-your-britches fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates aren't given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late 80s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skateboarders in the suburbs and high school hallways.

"For young people, it's a form of rebellion and identity," Adrian "Easy A.D." Harris, 43, a founding member of the Bronx's legendary rap group Cold Crush Brothers. "The young people think it's fashionable. They don't think it's negative."

But for those who want to stop them see it as an indecent, sloppy trend that is a bad influence on children.

"It has the potential to catch on with elementary school kids, and we want to stop it before it gets there," said C.T. Martin, an Atlanta councilman. "Teachers have raised questions about what a distraction it is."

In Atlanta, a law has been introduced to ban sagging and punishment could include small fines or community work -- but no jail time, Martin said.

The penalty is stiffer in Delcambre, Louisiana, where in June the town council passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

At Trenton hip-hop clothing store Razor Sharp Clothing Shop 4 Ballers, shopper Mark Wise, 30, said his jeans sag for practical reasons.

"The reason I don't wear tight pants is because it's easier to get money out of my pocket this way," Wise said. "It's just more comfortable."

Shop owner Mack Murray said Trenton's proposed ordinance unfairly targets blacks.

"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?" Murray asked. "They're stereotyping us."

The American Civil Liberties Union agrees.

"In Atlanta, we see this as racial profiling," said Benetta Standly, statewide organizer for the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia. "It's going to target African-American male youths. There's a fear with people associating the way you dress with crimes being committed.

Hunguri   

Xiin-Finiin, aar saaxiiboow nimankani intay dhar xidhanayaan waa asturanyihiin. Anigu waxaan ka baqayaa cisho dhaw inay isa soo wada qaawiyaan. Ninkii gabyay wuxuu yidhi.

Aduunyada nin joogoow

Maxaa aragti kuu laaban

Ifka intaad ku nooshahay

Maxaa kaa hor iman doona

Nephissa   

Perhaps the energy used to generate their disgust over this phenomenon could be better applied to those half dressed American women looking like nasty muffin tops or tramps with their shidh meel kasto soo raaraco. Or other burning social issues such as; embracing Islam. :D

I hate those dudes with their baggy pants down and should be fined on the spot with $$$, however I dont think I have problems with chicks going with their pants down. smile.gif

Nehanda   

Well said Nephtys!

What a waste on resources! If people do not wish to see them then they shouldn't be looking. Honestly since they are not infringing on others' rights nor harming themselves then it is wrong to dictate their life and curb their choice.

Nehanda   

Well said Nephtys!

What a waste on resources! If people do not wish to see them then they shouldn't be looking. Honestly since they are not infringing on others' rights nor harming themselves then it is wrong to dictate their life and curb their choice.

To be sure there’s nothing to be preserved in this fashion. But if the said authorities were after modesty in public arenas, there are far serious issues than this as good Bishaaro pointed out. That fact alone dents this effort and exposes it for the racial profiling it clearly is.

But given the recent reports about some airline taking harsh measures to throw out female passenger whose outfit was deemed inappropriate, this effort of coming down hard on those with less decorum is a nice moral sentiment methinks…

STOIC   

Where I live its five hundred dollars fine for exposing your boxers in Atlantic Station and other upscale neighbourhoods malls..Glad that I am way over the years of sagging my pants.When I am at the masjid praying taraweeh and I see young Somali kids with sagging pants I just laugh at myself and say Geellu lawajiir wuusowathamaray ! :D

AKA Stoic

This is just too much public interference. You knw what? They should also ban those all black gothic & satanic clothing that those punks wear.

This is nothing but euphism for racism. They should focus their time and energy on fighting school hatred crime(Njersey should know this).

-Lily-   

Reminds me of Hoodies and Yob culture...or the Iranian fashion police :D

It's hilarious to be offended at the sight of boxer shorts but be perfectly all right with G-strings hanging out of ladies jeans or cleavage :rolleyes:

^^ :D:D

Lily, fashion police you said? There were reports on bikini police on some southern (US) beaches. And same authorities are now targeting black youth with saggy pants. I don’t know how they going to do it, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they fashion police on women too---it’s a tar baby to be sure but one that cant be ignored any longer!

Dhubad.   

^^The Imam of my local mosque was actually complaining about people who do wear saggy trousers as their Cawrah(a$$) is displayed when they do sujuud

So this is a world wide problem!