Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Hazardous Roads due snow

Appalling weather wreaked havoc across the UK last night. Drivers face serious disruptions from the hazardous roads. So for the brothers and sisters who are driving in this conditions please do take care and drive safely or better yet leave the car at home for your own safety.

N.O.R.F   

In the office yesturday in St Albans, looked out the window at 4.30pm,,,,,,snow everywhere, ran out the office drove down the M1 at about 20mph, so i decided to park my car in Edgware and take the train home instead of sitting in traffic all night. It took 3 hrs just to get to Edgware, otherwise a 25min drive. 1st time on a train for ages,,,,,this morning same again, had to make my way to Edgware then drive from there, damn this country is never ready for snow, shud take a few lesson from the Scandanavians,,,,,,

check these pics, no 13 is of east london

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/in_pictures/3440643.stm

underdog   

Well Rudy, the closest I've come to your weather this week is singing Jimmy Cliff's "Bright Sun Shiny Day" while I was trying to shovel my car out of a parking space.

I guess Shaqsii and all the London lads are silenced by the Underdog pics.

Shaqsii, it is -17 F here in Minneapolis. Ice, black ice, traffic jams, accidents, towing ... that is all I hear these days.

Damn and I thought we had the worst weather around here.....Libaax Now I know Im in sunshine state man but you know within acouple of days of snowing, the amount of havoc it caused was horrendous. People where landing on their backs, cars sliding and knockin each other on the motorway and as I was driving on the M11, I looked over to my left and there was a woman in a brand new Audi A8 doing 45 miles per hour with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner! I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane sliding towards me, still working on that makeup!!!

It scared me (I'm a man) so bad, I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Jim and the Twins, ruined the damn phone and……….

underdog   

Audi A8 Quattro, baby...I had enuff of those zooming past me while I was under the deceptive illusion that sitting in the drivers seat and holding the steering wheel gave me control of my 2 wheel drive honda.

doing 65 miles per hour with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner!

I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Jim and the Twins, ruined the damn phone and……….

It's people like you that contribute to the vehicle collision stats....I gotta get a hummer to avoid you

Miriam1   

Loool love the picture of the dude who seems to be fighting some invisible force.

The weather is horrible and it is at this time that i thank god i dont own a car...the roads with all thier snow, freak me out...god bless the slow yet safe TTC..

NoVa   

Ughhh..Pls..no'body mentions the word "snow". I dont' wanna be stuck in the middle of the intersection no more and then to get off the car and push it....ya don't expect the damn batteries to die in the middle of the 4way street....but it was crazy, one hell of an experience i have to say...kind feel bad for the rest of the traffic for waiting what seems like more than half an hour'...lool..poor them ppl da were there..

god bless the slow yet safe TTC..

True that...Better be safe than u being sorry'for it.

Iffah   

Ooh, I feel for you guys. Sucks to be you at about now.

STHLM, that pic of the house covered with white blankets of snow, actually looks inviting, and warm...go figure. I must've been brainwashed here.

Originally posted by NoVa_03:

I dont' wanna be stuck in the middle of the intersection no more and then to get off the car and push it....

:D ...ileen that's what you've been upto, and here I thought u were having fun making snowman, and snow angels...silly me!

underdog   

Originally posted by NoVa_03:

Ughhh..Pls..no'body mentions the word "snow". I dont' wanna be stuck in the middle of the intersection no more and then to get off the car and push it....ya don't expect the damn batteries to die in the middle of the 4way street....but it was crazy, one hell of an experience i have to say...kind feel bad for the rest of the traffic for waiting what seems like more than half an hour'...lool..poor them ppl da were there..

In the past week, I've seen enough cars slide through intersections. The best thing about that is that everyone else is so tired from concentrating on driving that they're actually relieved that they get a short break while Nova's slipping and sliding trying to move here ride outta the way....

I'll give you some tips:

- Forget Shortcuts, them little side streets are death traps, last time they saw a plough was back in the 40's when they were farmlands.

- stick to the furthest right lane( In Canada). if you slide the curb will stop you.

- Stay off any street that has street car tracks, you think frozen roads are bad, wait till you catch an icy rail.

- Buy 5 containers of windshield washer (needs no explanation). Don't EVER buy it at a gas station (unless its an emergency) You know that canadian tire windshield washer, the purple one that -45 degrees with Teflon for $3.75....it's a scam cause it freezes just as fast as the blue $1.79 stuff.

- If you're on the Hi-way, FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT SLAM YOUR BRAKE...down shift or brace yourself for a collison or change lanes or something

- Listen to AM radio or if it has to be music, listen to Sade or Tracy Champan or something slow like that. DO NOT listen to anything that'll make you brave (Act a fool - Ludacris, etc)

- If there's any question about whether or not you'll "make it"...YOU WON'T, relax.