Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

Greatest Military Leader?

Thierry.   

Me and a Somali colleague at work are debating over who is the greatest Military leader?

His choice - Frederick II of Prussia

Mine – Genghis (Temujin) Khan

The Determinants:

• Size of land conquered

• Time frame of reign

• Speed of conquest

• Size of Forces

Some factors that could cost points:

• The strength of the opponents

• Environment

• Logistics

I am ignorant of such matters and wish to remain so. Men are blood-thristy creatures, they hide behind strategy when all they want is to disembowel someone LoL. Ha idiin macaanaato. Toodles.

NGONGE   

^^ Not according to the rules set by TH above.

Some guys called Alexander was not called 'great' for nothing. He wins this hands down if we follow your criteria. :D

Thierry.   

Come on gents I need more info, defend your choice, Napoleon a man I greatly admire not only for Military success but his personal achievement from the small island of Corsica to rule most of Continental Europe, however he still got defeated at the battle of Waterloo. Hannibal the genius that invented the outflanking manoeuvre, however his reign did not last long and he defeated the Romans when they where weak and divided.

Even Genghis Khan’s forces only really faced serious resistance from Mamluk and they got defeated there.

Khalid bin Al-Walid, now that’s a Military leader, who defeated two titans with a asmall army.

One thing is common in most military success, it is the speed of manoeuvre and ability to make your foe fight in your terms that brings success not the size of the force.

^^^lol:

What about the new modern Military doctrines ?

I would add a new name to the list. Gen Vo Nguyen Giap the man who humbled a super power in the Vietnam war.