Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

Greatest Military Leader?

Thierry.   

Duke Giap is a legend who mastered Sun Tzu Art of War, the man positioned his troops next to the US troops a) to keep an eye on their movements b)the Yanks won't Ariel bomb their own troops :D

I think another criteria we need to add how particular military man or battle changed course of history. The Alexander might have been great but how did his conquest and military skills changed course of history?

My pick will be the Mongol Genghis Khan.

Che, Alexanders conquests Hellenized the world from Ptolemy dynasty in Egypt to the steps of Persia his conquest was the birth of what we now term Western civilization, it also stopped for a millennia the expansion of the East.

Mustafa Kamal Attaturk

220px-Ataturk29.JPG

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's leadership of the independence war

The Turkish War of Independence (Turkish: Kurtuluş Savaşı); May 19, 1919 – October 29, 1923) was a successful war of independence waged by Turkish Nationalists against the Allies, after the country was partitioned by the Allies following the Ottoman Empire's defeat in World War I. [1][2][3] The Turkish National Movement in Anatolia culminated in the formation of a new Grand National Assembly which successfully mobilized its resources under the leadership of Mustafa Kemal. After the military campaigns against offensives of Greece, and of the Turkish-Armenian and Franco-Turkish War, the Turkish revolutionaries forced the Allies to abandon the Treaty of Sèvres and negotiate the Treaty of Lausanne in July 1923, leaving Anatolia and Eastern Thrace to form the Republic of Turkey in October 1923. The establishment of the Turkish national movement led to the end of the Ottoman millet system and with the Atatürk's reforms created a modern, secular nation-state on the political front.

BOB   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

what about:

Khalid ibn al-Walid

No one can even come close to him, he's the ONLY man who defeated the combined forces of the Sassanid Persians and Byzantine Romans, his tactics are still used to this day...that alone should tell you all you need to know about the man and his military brain.

Without a shadow of a doubt he would've put down Alexandar 'The Macedonian' and all these over-hyped gaalo.

Tell your friends to do some research on Khalid Bin Walid (R.A).

LoooL@ Northerner...that was nice one. :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NASSIR   

Che indeed, how he changed the course of history...

300px-Ahmed_Gurey_Mogadishu_Monument.jpg

16th century Imam Ahmed Gurey's rule reigned supreme for 15 years (The Conquest of the Horn of Africa, Lewis.) after he defeated the Abyssinian Empire and braught Highland Ethiopia, Greater Somalia up to Tana River, Eritrea, and Djibouti under the Adel Empire.

^He was a great military commander.

NASSIR   

^It's important to note the empires Khaled bin Walid (RA) defeated were at the time crumbling, as they colluded against each other and they ruled not that expansive land. He extended the reach and spread the message of Islam, that's the key point. He was a great commander.

How about Saladin? I pick Alexender the Great.

The British Empire was the greatest in history and it got dissolved, but its cultural influence still impact many parts of the world.

I didn't know one of the Ahmed Gurey's intrepid commanders, Jasa Umar, governed the land of Walaqa near Abbay (Blue Nile) on the border of Sudan after the Conquest. (Read Fatahu al Habash)

BOB   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

The Determinants:

• Size of land conquered

• Time frame of reign

• Speed of conquest

• Size of Forces

Some factors that could cost points:

• The strength of the opponents

• Environment

• Logistics

Mr Naga Daaya Dee aka Kubada Barta better known as NGONGE, Xaaji the rules are there to be broken, however, those of us who chose Khalid Bin Walid (R.A) would win hands down because he's the ONLY one amongst all the candidates who meets all the requirements.

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

^^ Dee maad tedhaahdid rules are there to be broken and leave it at that, saaxib. Why give me something to argue about? :D

Anyway, I too prefer Ibnu Al Waleed (if for nothing else than his words at his death bed). However, according to the rules TH put there, I can't choose him (or my other favourite, Al Dhahir Baibars - for Cayn Jaloot alone). So, that leaves us with Eskandar Al Maqdooni (for land conquered, opponents, enviornment, logistics, etc, etc, etc). Some even argue that the man might have been Tho-al-qarneen nooh. :D

Dee naga daaya.

Chimera   

f_nelson.gif

Horatio Nelson

The Determinants:

Size of land conquered = Domination of the Mediterranean and Baltic Seas, complete destruction of the French fleet which wouldn't pose a threat to the British ever again and Napoleon's dream thwarted!

Time frame of reign = Martyred but left a lasting legacy for his country.

Speed of conquest = very fast.

Size of Forces = 33 ships.

Some factors that could cost points:

The strength of the opponents = France and Spain had 41 ships thus numerically superior, yet they were all destroyed while not a single British ship was lost.

Environment = at sea.

Logistics = British at a disadvantage due to blockade.

trafalgar.jpg

RedSea   

The title of the thread mentions "greatest military leaders" not the largest empires right. It's two different things. I think there are so many to choose from and you can't go wrong on most of them. But based on what I know and my close comparison side by side on individual level of leadership, tactics, armies led and the strenght of enemies faced. Some might say the empires faced by Khalid ibn waleed Muslim army were not at strong at the time. Well if you look at all conquers they all one or another face armies that were broken. However It's what Khalid bin waleed had in his disposal to defeat these two empire, Persian and Byzantian at once using mere ill equiped force with scarce resources. Generals like Alexander despite his impressives achievements came to power into an empire that already had great army and resources at its disposal. Nevertheless Alexander was capable and great military mind but not anything like the guys I am about to mention.

Khalid bin Waleed no doubt about it. Unlike some of the conquers mentioned here; he actually stood in the forefront and fought. He was master tactician who defeated enemies swiftly despite being outnumbered greatly.He was never defeated in battle both as Christian and a great Muslim warrior. He is head and shoulders above anyone else.

Followed by Hannibal Barca, the North African. The first rebel leader in history. He fought the whole roman Empire for 15 yrs and smashed them in their first few encounters. Famed by the use of elephants in his battles.

Offcourse in history classes the students are taught biases and half truths and mere exaggerated history as such most of them would choose premodonas.

For quickness and time frame achieved to conquere great distances I would have to say Temujin aka Ghengis Khan. In the Mongol culture horse riding skill was national past time as such his horsemen were inmoveable objects in battles they cut through anything in its path like hot knife in butter.

For facing Odds: I would say Khalid bin Waleed and Alexander the boy wonder who thought he conquered the known world.

for brutality and instilling fear in his enemies heart would be Timur ling the Muslim descent of Mongol tribes. He was absulate brutal ruler who ruled with iron fist.