Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Construction of Aqal Soomaali

Laba-X   

1640383614_1fa7d273e6.jpg

I was passing by this place - Goob Ramaas - when I noticed a small Somali hut being built and brought you some images. The above picture of Goob Ramaas, near Ceelbuuh, clearly illustrates the vast open terrain called Sool. Like a giant carpet spread upon the earth, it rolls for miles and miles in every direction - as far as your eye can see!

1639510689_e11ff5d840.jpg

1640382200_3f809cd323.jpg

This is the Somali hut being constructed - and you’d notice that it is only women who build the huts. The men usually gather the wood from the Galool, Dhumaytrees etc, and then the women get to work. The above hut being constructed is called Saddex-dhigood, meaning it is made out of three arched Gob branches as you can see above. This is the smallest hut constructed and the largest is made out of Seven. The most common huts though are made out of either three or four Dhigood.

1640380918_73105411d5.jpg

Though not of the same hut, this is how the inside of some huts looks like. In this picture, the thin branches that run somewhat perpendicular to the three Dhigo, along the entire hut, are called lool. These lool form a spread above the Dhigo so that the woven mats can be fastened onto the hut.

1639515063_2a1d6ca902.jpg

1639512649_1c226187c5.jpg

And this is how the mats are then fastened to the hut. What you see in the picture on the left is Udub-Dhexaad - the middle, or sometimes on either sides of the hut, wood made usually out of Dayyib tree that fortifies the hut and keeps it erect.

Laba-X   

1640391532_316aae5eae.jpg

1639520339_b846ec1838.jpg

And this is how the inside looks like when it is finally built, with a small branch for hanging clothes as an extra (modern design I say).

1639528713_7cc5f38edc.jpg

1640404016_30bc97cb5c.jpg

Now that the hut is almost complete with all the pillars of wood erected and the hut standing firmly, the only thing left to do is fasten the skilfully woven mats onto the pillars wood. The mats too though, have to be made by hand. First the Caw is gathered from the woodland after days of scouting, then after getting rid of the impurities, it is assembled as above and the interlacing or plaiting of the Caw begins. This process of interlacing the Caw is called Falag and is usually done over drinks when women gather for conversations late in the afternoon.

1640399742_21098c51c0.jpg

1640396546_8221a69145.jpg

After interlacing the Caw, a single long sheet of Caw is made. This sheet is called Gadaan. The name is derived from the meaning of the word Gadaan which is “round” - and because the Caw, after each plait, is rounded up as in the above picture, it is given such a name. Hundreds of single plaits of Caw are then interweaved to form a large mat called Dermo (Plural - Dermooyin). The picture on the right shows the Dermooyin on top of the hut.

1639503787_fe99edda9c.jpg

And here is the final result… As for the time it takes - well I passed by the hut being built (top) on my way to Ceelbuh. By the time I came back, about and hour and a half later, the hut was completed! Kudos to the female Somali nomads I say!

Aqal Soomaali

Somali men should taught how to build Aqal. Maybe then they would spend less time with useless chatter. And yes, it is skillfully done, but I think the nomadic nature of our people is antithesis to modern existence.

Aaliyyah   

waxaas ma dad daganaan jireen ilaah baan nigu dhaarshaye ;)

just kidding it looks neat, and well designed I mean from nomadic perspective :D

Aaliyyah   

^^^I was kidding really, I love our culture and tradition, and have full respect.

But honestly I am just curious, the house is too darn small.I for one can't live in such a small space....I expect living rooms, family rooms, dining rooms , kitchen.

There is not even enough space to breath YA ILAHI smile.gif

Aaliyyah   

Nomadique now that u know how it is done, wat u waiting for?get going and build "bulcous" for urself smile.gif that is what u call it right lol...

Buuxo   

A very handy skill to have.I remember during qaxootiga those who knew how to build aqal's marketed their skill and they built us a huge room ,even a double bed.

LX, looks like you had a very nice trip. How safe is it for women to travel without any menfolks across puntland ?

Nephissa   

Interesting! And I always thought it was made of cow and donkey shidh.

and you’d notice that it is only women who build the huts. The men usually gather the wood from the Galool, Dhumaytrees etc, and then the women get to work.

That's it? is that all they do? and then take up space in the mudul? :mad: . Shows how Somali women carry the greatest and heaviest burdens with dignity and pride. Kudos to us!

Cara.   

Originally posted by chubacka:

Marshallah v. skillfully made but why did they chose such a desolate place?!

What are you talking about man? If you squint you can see at least 1 ant-hill! It's bustling with activity by miyi standards.