Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

FYI - Anglo Somali Society

The Anglo-Somali Society is a non profit-making international friendship society whose objective is tofoster friendship and understanding between Somalis and the English-speaking world, and to developcultural and social relations between them.

NEWS:– New date for House of Commons Tea Party: We’ve confirmed that this year’s Anglo-Somali Society teaparty will be held at the House of Commons from 4pm on Thursday 8 July 2010.–

New Society Journal available: click here for contacts page. the contents look interesting. smile.gif The Journal is sent to all Society members.If you are interested in joining, please download a membership form here.

– General Meeting, Oxford House, E2. Thursday 22 October 2009, 6.00pm - The Mental Healthof Somalis in the UK: Two talks with questions and discussion. For more details, click here.

– Appeal launched for Hargeisa School for the Deaf: The Society is raising funds for the Hargeisa School forthe Deaf. More information is available here. If you are able to donate funds of any amount - small or large - your contribution will be gratefully received.

LINK

Paragon   

No it isn't. It's been there for many years now.

The Somali members are quite a young generation (mostly from universities) but their English counterparts are former civil servants in colonial British Somaliland. At least that was so in 2002/3.

Not been there for all these years. Maybe the composition has changed since.

Paragon   

I just checked the 'about us' of their site. It says the society was founded in 1962 between the then Somali republic and the UK.

^ :D

re the org. - don't know anything about them - couple things interest me - their journal and their appeal for the deaf school.

Ibtisaam - do you mind contacting them - to find out more???

NGONGE   

^^ People tell me it's round the corner from me but I have no idea what corner that is. I've only ever been in Oxford House once before.