Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

One dead, five others taken to hospital!!!

Kool_Kat   

North York Gunfire Kills Teen, Wounds Five Others

Saturday March 15, 2008

CityNews.ca Staff

Toronto suffered its 11th homicide of 2008 Friday night, but as hard as it is to imagine, the tragedy could have been much greater.

An 18-year-old was gunned down, but five others were also taken to hospital following the gunfire on Amaranth Court near Lawrence and Allen Rd. just before 10pm. All are expected to pull through after suffering wounds to the arms and legs.

Exactly what led to the brazen shooting - which occurred near a playground and in a courtyard directly behind several homes - isn't clear, but police allege a group of men were assembled on the street when they were confronted by at least one gunman.

Abdikarim Ahmed Abdikarim, 18, was hit in the head and later died in hospital.

Police spent Saturday canvassing the area for clues, though detectives insist the biggest lead comes from a security camera in the area.

"There is video surveillance which we are reviewing at this time," confirmed Toronto Homicide Det. Sgt. Brian Borg. "Which we hope will be able to provide us with a better description of the persons who are responsible."

Those that live nearby were understandably shaken Saturday.

"It's kind of shocking just to know that I'm living right here," said Simone Gordon, who lives just steps from where the bullets flew.

"It's scary," added Fortune Jones. "I'm pretty comfortable coming out in my area but now ... I'm thinking."

Witnesses at the scene reported seeing a silver or grey four-door vehicle driving out of the area after the shootings. Police are looking for at least two suspects.

If you can help with the investigation call the Toronto Police Homicide Squad at 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

-----------------------------------------

All six victims are Somali...Alla maxey tahay ibtilada na heysata? :mad: :mad:

Allaha unaxariisto maskiinka dhintay, cidiisana samir iyo iimaan ka sii...Kuligood allaha ufududeeyo...

Sad sad day indeed for the Somali community in Toronto...

Faheema.   

^^Amiin

First this and now :mad: :( Although nowadays this is not exclusive to our Community, but whenever I hear Somalis killing Somalis I am deeply saddened walahi.

Miriam1   

This is sad. Where are the parents? Ya Rab, if things are this bad with my children I will forget my community and move as far as Sarnia!

Samir iyo iimaan marxuumka reerkiisa, siiba aabo Cantar Jeenyo. Marxuumka aabihiisa ciyaaraha banooniga ciyaari jiray, kuna dheereen jiray laga wada yaqaanay Soomaaliya ayuu ahaa, magaaladaana laga yaqaano.

Although nowadays this is not exclusive to our Community, but whenever I hear Somalis killing Somalis I am deeply saddened walahi.

I don't think it was a Soomaali-on-Soomaali shooting. A newscast, citing a police source, tonight was describing the shooting as "racially motivated." So if we believe this, the shooters were not Soomaali. It is very, very, very rare to see a Soomaali shooting another Soomaali in this city.

North York shooting caught on tape

Police release video of two men captured on security camera footage at scene of shooting that left one man dead and five injured

Dramatic surveillance video footage of a man repeatedly firing a handgun that left one man dead and five others injured was released by Toronto police Monday in the hopes of finding the gunman.

Two security cameras captured the shooting last Friday just before 10 p.m. at 87 Amaranth Crt., near Lawrence Ave. and Dufferin St.

Det. Sgt. Brian Borg warned members of the media that the footage was violent. As it was played at police headquarters on Monday, the video drew gasps from seasoned crime reporters.

Although police often obtain video footage of the events in the area of a shooting, it is extremely rare for the video to include an actual shooting, Borg said.

The video shows the gunman and another person, believed to be an associate, walking on a path and approach the group of six men between the ages of 18 and 21.

The gunman is not seen speaking to his associate or the group of six men between the ages of 18 and 21.

"He simply walked up within 10 feet of the group, got their attention, and without warning opened fire while walking backwards," said Borg. "His actions are very discriminate and it is obvious he intended to inflict maximum damage."

The lone gunman and his associate then fled the area in different directions.

Abdikarim Ahmed Abdikarim, 18, died of a gunshot wound to the head. The other five victims are expected to survive their injuries and are co-operating with police, Borg said.

"Our investigation to date shows that these young men (the victims) at the time of the incident were not engaged in any criminal conduct or behaviour that would explain what you are about to see. Simply put, they were there to socialize as they often did at this very location every Friday night," said Borg.

Although the victims were the intended targets, Borg would not speculate on a possible motive.

There is one gunman and one handgun involved in the shooting, he said.

Police patrols have increased in the Lawrence Heights area since the shooting.

Police are looking to speak to the associate seen in the video or anyone with information about the shooting.

[You can watch the video by clicking the link.]

Pucca   

may allah have mercy on him and grant him jennah inshallah. the video is heartbreaking and quite scary how someone can aim to kill 6 ppl. :(

^^

search Toronto and Homicide into Youtube.

Hopefully it will help towards identifying the killers, because the wide availablity of this homicide tape will certainly add to the suffering of the family.