Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Interview with Somaliland Painter Madar Osman

Madar is a highly skilled artist from Berbera, Somaliland. When he was just 5 years old, he moved to Hargeysa and has lived there ever since. Madar’s paintings usually depict the life and culture in Somaliland/Somalia, as well as Kenya and Ethiopia. He pursues his art with great determination and passion.

Please meet Madar Osman.

When did you discover you were and artist?

In 1998 at Sheik Madar Intermediate School when my teacher Abdullahi Hassan, the head master, began to push me to wake up earlier than the other students to paint the inside of the classroom.

How has your work changed over time?

I started with Crayola (crayons) and not paints. I use any kind of paint I can see like house paints. I would like to do sculpture someday.

Art is endless, it is ever going and I like to push it because art is endless. I like Picasso. I like to see foreign artists because we do the same work here and art has no end.

Who is your greatest supporter?

My mom. She did not like art at first but said she would rather see me doing art than getting into trouble. She is really amazed now. She didn’t think it would be like this and now (realizes) it is very important work.

How long have you had your own art studio?

5 years. Most of my time as an artist I spent with an artist group. We would move from here to Berbera and paint together for 2 months at a time. Everyday you see changes in your work because working together makes you realize your errors. By looking at each other’s work we all grow because you learn from each other.

Are you a full-time artist?

Yes I am, and I would like to continue this for the rest of my life. It’s not only for my daily living, it’s my passion.

What are the benefits and challenges of being an artist in Somaliland?

Every artist likes to be the first. The first on TV, the first on the radio etc.

About 25% of people say they don’t like our work, saying that it is not good for religion or culture. I’ve been asked to cover the hair on a drawing or told that the clothing was too tight.

But most support us because they like to see our culture.

Where have you shown your work?

One art show by UNDP in 2001. Each artist exhibited a piece about how to tackle poverty. Then they bought all of the work.

I have also shown in Somaliland, on the side of the road. When we sell artwork to others, they give our contact information to our friends abroad. When they come into town, they contact us.

What kind of an impact would you like to make with your artwork in society and the world?

To see more female artists in Hargeisa. I’ve never seen that before. Lots ask to be taught but never come back for lessons. They may not come back because they feel ashamed to be with guys.

What are your greatest goals for your work, and how can Afrikanation help you?

To be an art manager or an art teacher. I would like to see in Hargeisa, a national art gallery showing sculptures and paintings. That is the beginning of my dream.

It will be the first organization (of its kind) established in Hargeisa.

It can help boys and girls to prepare artwork to be seen internationally and in different regions.

I hope the organization can be the first to make my dreams come true.

ANTARA   

That is some serious talent we got there, it is good to know people back home have such tolerance towards art. They will probably be more tolerant to paintings and hopefully sculptures than they were to music in the days of Abdillahi Qarshe and others (AUN).

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I would like to see in Hargeisa, a national art gallery showing
sculptures
and paintings. That is the beginning of my dream.

He would have enjoyed a visit to the Tate modern.

Cawaale   

^This young man is gifted; he surely has a way with colors. Hope his efforts would be properly focused, he can do great things.

i am a fan.

ailamos   

amazing skill... is there anyway to support this artist by purchasing his work? I particularly like this one:

Madar11.jpg

Showqi   

Yeah, I agree the camels are beautiful, the landscape is nice. But he kill the lady. Is he trying to say that Geeljire people have no life?

Blessed   

There's art everywhere back home. I love the painting with the two ladies and camels.. Would love to buy his work too, what better way to showcase my geeljiredness. :D

Bal u sheeg, JBow.

NGONGE   

Hmm! He says it's a full time job but how? Does he do shop signs on the side?

Not an art critic but I like what I see.

SeeKer   

He is good Mashallah. Are those portraits charcoal sketches? His use of shadows makes the old man a compelling subject to view.

On a side note, whats the rulings on portraits religiously? I used to sketch up to my teenage years and even did murals on walls till someone told my mother it was xaram and she made me stop :( I have been meaning to look it up because I want to take up that form of expression again since I miss it terribly.

PS:- JB do you work as a photographer? I googled the NGO Afrikanation and the FB page pics all seem to be taken by you. BTW I like this painting by far of the ones in the cache. Perhaps since there seems to be interest by some SOL members you can facilitate delivery of goods for $

Emperor   

Why Somaliland Painter and not Somali painter, surely the people are Somali.

He is a skilled artist, well done to him