Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Sleep Paralysis

What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).

Sleep paralysis may also be referred to as isolated sleep paralysis, familial sleep paralysis, hynogogic or hypnopompic paralysis, predormital or postdormital paralysis

What are the symptoms?

A complaint of inability to move the trunk or limbs at sleep onset or upon awakening

Presence of brief episodes of partial or complete skeletal muscle paralysis

Episodes can be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations or dream-like mentation (act or use of the brain)

Symptoms of sleep paralysis can be either one of the following or a combination:

Paralysis: this occurs after waking up or shortly before falling asleep. The person cannot move any body part, cannot speak, and only has minimal control over blinking and breathing. This paralysis is the same paralysis that occurs when dreaming. The brain paralyzes the muscles to prevent possible injury during dreams, as some body parts may move during dreaming. If the person wakes up suddenly, the brain may still think that it is dreaming, and sustains the paralysis.

Hallucinations: Images or speaking that appear during the paralysis. The person may think that someone is standing beside them or they may hear strange sounds. These may be dreamlike, possibly causing the person to think that they are still dreaming. Often it is reported as feeling a weight on one's chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.

These symptoms can last from mere seconds to several minutes (although they can feel like much longer) and can be frightening to the person. There may be some body movement, but it is very unlikely and hard for a person to accomplish.

Has anyone experienced it? I have last night and I have to say that is was the MOST terrifying experience of my entire life. I really felt like I was going to die and going straight to hell. I can't describe the feeling of being fully awake but paralysed, unable to scream or move a fraction of an inch. Then all of a sudden my vision went all black and I saw lightening and heard these low, scary sounds. I am not making this up. The moment the paralysis state passed I got up (around 2 am) and started reading the Quran.....

Cara.   

I used to experience it occasionally but haven't for a while now. Usually just the paralysis, but occasionally I would be convinced there was a person standing in the corner of the room. Very creepy.

I read somewhere that this experience may explain all the "alien abduction" phenomena.

Urban   

I've experienced it many times Femme, exactly the way you felt, minus the scary sounds. The first 2 times it was very scary indeed, but after that, i got used to it, I remember telling my best friend about it, and when he said he experienced the same thing, i felt quite a relief and thought it was a normal thing. Now i just find it annoying, and sometimes even peaceful.

nuune   

Qulwallaha badso, Qul Acuudeytna iyo Aayatul Kursi every night.

Wardigana badi, Inshaa Allaah mar danbe la kulmi meysid fajacaas.

nuune   

Xiin, maya sxb, waa wax igu cusub, laakin waxaan maqley oo u yara dhaw sheekadan, dad ayagoo habeenkii hurdo intey soo istaagaan socdo ayagoo hurdo, warna iskuma hayaan iney hurdaan, sleep walking camal ah, dadkani waxey kaga hor tageen quraanka akhrintiisa khaasatan suuradaha ama aayaatka khaas ah, Ilaah idinkiisna wey ka caafimaadeen jirradaasi.

Urban   

*a little off topic* ^ lol Nuune. Have you heard the news about this person who mysteriously gained so much weight? It was a while ago and after some investigation it was found out that they were sleep walking to the fridge to eat every night.

Malika   

Femme,

Make sure you make wudhu before you go to bed,read the last 3 surahs of the quraan,the first and last verses of surati baqarah,Ayati Kursi[as if recited,one is protected by Allah until dawn],sleep on your right side..

I know surati baqarah is long, but its believed if recited in a house,no sheytaan will enter that house.

Increase you dhikr,make dua...Inshaallah kheyr.

ps.pheeeeeeeew! so there is few of us out there experiencing this,I was about to admit myself at the local psychiatric ward :(

chubacka   

FF, go see the GP (although sometimes they r useless) and take Mal's advice.

Surah Mulk also before sleeping but that is for protection in the grave.

All the best dear, at least you know its quite common (apparently)