Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Voting haram or not?

with the general election (UK) fast approaching some of my friends have got it in their heads that its haram to vote in Kufr system.

SOL'ers whats your take on this

most of my Somali friends think its okay whilst most of my Asian friends think its totally haram.

any opinions and info appreciated,

B   

Its haram for with those with a total disconnection with their host society and are removed from reality.

B,

Its haram for with those with a total disconnection with their host society and are removed from reality.

what do you mean by this statement B?

this issue was really bothering me and i've decided to vote. after evaluating the pros and cons, i think it is more beneficial for one to excerice their right of suffrage. That way i could at least have a say in where my tax pounds end up going and why.

i'm voting Labour what about you ladies and fellas out there. Any Tory fans on SOL?

ailamos   

Originally posted by Archdemos:

with the general election (UK) fast approaching some of my friends have got it in their heads that its haram to vote in Kufr system.

SOL'ers whats your take on this

most of my Somali friends think its okay whilst most of my Asian friends think its totally haram.

any opinions and info appreciated,

Are your Asian friends Pakistanis by any chance? I don't see how it could be haram if one wants to bring about change in one's society through consensus. As you said taxes are taken from your paycheck anyway so you might as well have a say in who lays down the rules.

The important thing is that since there are matters of interest to the Muslim community in non-Muslim countries, wouldn't voting be a form of "ijmaac" or "a consensus of the Muslim community in that country"??

Besides, if one thinks the entire system is based on kufr then I don't see any compulsion in staying in that country.

Anyway one opinion as per the link Bilaal sent states:

It is permissible for a Muslim who enjoys the rights of citizenship in a non-Muslim country to take part in elections and the like because it is more likely that his participation will bring benefits such as presenting a true picture of Islam, defending Muslim issues in that country, supporting the rights of religious and other minorities, strengthening their role in circles of influence, and cooperating with reasonable, fair-minded people on a basis of truth and justice. That should be in accordance with the following guidelines:

(i) The Muslim participants should intend thereby to serve the interests of the Muslims and ward off evil and harm from them.

(ii) The Muslim participants should think it most likely that their participation will have positive effects that will benefit the Muslims in that country, such as supporting their position, conveying their requests to the decision makers and those who are in charge of the country, and protecting their religious and worldly interests.

(iii) The Muslim’s participation in these elections should not lead to him neglecting his religious duties.

i agree ailamos with what you have said, and it has been my view for some time.

its just that when you see friends (yes they are Pakistani :D )come up with strong and dangerous statements like 'its definately haram'. it makes you think maybe your doing something wrong. anyway after serious research i found that it isn't as staright forward as they had highlighted. and infact is allowed, due to indivual cirsumstances in that particular country.

The beauty of our religion is that it incorporates rationality. something these young men have forgotten or decided to do without. little knowledge is indeed dangerous

this is the video he has posted on my facebook highlighting why its haram.

clearly he is a member of Hizb ut Tahrir. so i shall leave it at that. From first hand personal experience at university, i can tell you this is a most unsavory and insidious group. They are like they islamic version of the British National party (BNP).

the completely ignore the spiritual side of Islam and politicise everything.

Rayyan   

those who live in the west, voting must be important, pragmatically it will make the changes you looking after, you'll exercise your citizenship rights, lessen the enmity and join forces the like-minded, and friendly communities to improve your lot, and theirs - the common goals, and get rid of the nasty buggers from hate parties. Islam basically is for pragmatically problem solving. Go for it, at least do it, for the sake of humanity and better future for all.

Qorax   

Aqyaarta dhulkaan aad joogtaan ama ka muuqda ama ka maqnaada. Talo? vote sxb, ciddaad u woodeysidna xaqiiqso inaay ku ogsoon yihiin inaad u wooday kulana xisaabtan.