Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Seeking Medical Help

Why do most Somalis (I know it's a generalization but move past that) find it so difficult to seek help, medical wise? I know so many people who have eye problems, back pain, painful cavities, countless aches that make it painful to carry out their daily chores yet when I suggest or plead with them to go to the hospital or undergo a check up...they refuse. Their excuses? I'm busy, It's Allah's will, Those racist doctors will steal my organs, I don't trust them, It will go away eventually, I'll take care of it myself. But it never goes away. I get frustrated and stop asking them.

Where did that fear come from? Do they somehow think it noble to suffer in silence?

I think men tend not to seek help for "minor" problems. They just wait till it goes away. And sometimes it goes away.

And it is a noble way to deal with them, unless it is obvious a medical advice must be sought!

Anyway, it depends , for my part I harrass my doctor for nothing :D as I write this, she is trying to struck me off her list and get a court order!

Anyway, doctors in Uk are heartless and deserve to be shot, they reflect the state of the infamous NHS (National Hearth Service): the worst in the Industrialised World.

Originally posted by Scarlet:

Where did that fear come from? Do they somehow think it noble to suffer in silence?

^^Ar kuwaas xaggee joogaan? In where I live it is the other way around. They love medicine and want more of it :D . They even lend to each other when it runs out. The ones I know would not die without putting a fight, yaa Kooley :D .

It is quite a generalization, I know, but I am refering to the elderly.

Pucca   

i dont know about other somalis, but i myself cant stand going to see a doctor. The thought of being locked in a small room scares the devils out of me* no clue why*; i'd rather moan and cry my eyes out then see a doc ... often times when i get hit with a serious case of the flu ma literally has to drag me to see the doctor.

check ups was another thing my mother was big on, "call the doc and set up appointments! school's about to start and you all need to get your check up" back then it was 'the eye' that did the trick or sometimes mom would come along to make sure i didn't sneak out.

hada lakeen, she's given up..'bout time i say, cant remember the last time i went for a check up.

so yea...there's that little fear in most people*not somalis only*, fear that going to see the doc might turn up something they dont want to hear. odd but..hey its a fear, however irrational it might be.

Nephissa   

Kooleey, isn't Ontario where Maryooleey-da abuse that free healthcare system? I know of too many people that go to emergency for simple things like a cold, and when the doc doesn't prescribe medicine darbiyada isu qaraaco "kan waa bilaash wax ma yaqaaan", and off they go see another one.

Naden   

What's there not to fear? If the doctor comes into the room and doesn't wash his/her grubby paws infront of you, RUN, RUN as fast and far as your skinny nomad legs will take you. They're known for suspect hygiene and giving people infections :( .

Haneefah   

Actually, I've noticed that most somalis seek help with minor conditions and symptoms, esp here in Canada where health care is free.

However, something I've discerned about our people which is quite astounding is how there seems to be some type of stigma attached to certain medical conditions, certain chronic diseases to be specific. For instance, there's a growing prevalence rate of mental health diseases in our communities yet many are very apprehensive about acknowleding them let alone seeking medical treatment. Even parents who have kids with obvious symptoms are quick to dismiss any need for medical attention. More denial leads to more prevalence which just creates a very difficult cycle to break.

Another disease I can think of is cancer...rarely do you see women in their late 30s and above getting their regular mammograms, though I can undertsand how dreadful the whole prospect of diagnosis might be (common among all women), it is still a vital precautionary measure. Even those who are diagnosed with cancer (both f/m) will never expose it to others (it's always some unknown disease of the blood or lymphatic system), as if they will be alienated from society and become some sort of untouchable ppl. Like seriously, Allah forbid but if anyone was inflicted with such a horrible disease, why wouldn't they want to tell others about it so they can pray for them. Dua is the weapon of the believer and the only act of worship which can actually change a level of Qadr...so why not have others pray for you, who knows qofkii lagu jiro :confused:

Oh and forget about certain infectious diseases such TB, I have heard of ppl hiding it to the extent where they would actually risk infecting others, haraam :(

On the other hand, I guess they're not completely to blame. We haven't as a community fostered a positive environment whereby these issues are discussed openly, where adequate support system is readily available for those in need, and where promotion and prevention are emphasized.

^^ Discusting stuff! brushing your teeth twice a day + complete floss should Give U the perfect teeth! + 2 visits to your local dentist should do the trick

Abraar, I agree. There is some twisted shame tied to being 'sick' and visiting the hospital to the extent that people would endanger their own lives which baffles me. Maxaa kaa gale what pple think, isn't your health and well being more important and should be the first priority?

But the people I'm talking about are usually single Mom's of young children. They seem to rationalize to themselves that they can't afford being sick (not money wise), their family needs them and they don't want to know that they have a serious problem. Which upsets me because you can get to the root of the problem and probably fix it instead of waiting, ignoring and making it worse. Years down the line is when you really can't afford to be sick but I guess pple don't think that much down the line. It's here and now.

Xiin,

I know what you mean. My little brother loves cough medicine ever since we got the cherry and grape flavoured, he's always running around asking 'is it time?'. LOL. And I guess the eldery need constant reassurance that theyre fine and relatively healthy.

Azmaya   

Scarlet,

I am in the same boat, most somalis I know dont seek medical help, they say Allah will cure, ect same excuses.

But what it comes down to I think is the lack of trust they have with their physicians (most don’t even have a family doctor). Another thing is money, to go to doctor in US without great health insurance coverage costs a lot of money, which most people tend to avoid, and minor problems can led to bigger problems which in the long run can be more costly and even life threatening. I love the courage of our people and their deep faith in Allah, but I strongly believe if there were more Muslim doctors (especially Somali doctors) our people’s attitude would change and they wouldn’t mind going to doctors.

PS: Are there any pre-meds/residents here on SOL. Peace

Originally posted by Scarlet:

Why do most Somalis (I know it's a generalization but move past that) find it so difficult to seek help, medical wise? I know so many people who have eye problems, back pain, painful cavities, countless aches that make it painful to carry out their daily chores yet when I suggest or plead with them to go to the hospital or undergo a check up...they refuse. Their excuses? I'm busy, It's Allah's will, Those racist doctors will steal my organs, I don't trust them, It will go away eventually, I'll take care of it myself. But it never goes away. I get frustrated and stop asking them.

i am somali most of us have promlem with back pain becouse we used flow camel so the reason to manny haraati can couse you more back pain. thanks for your opion.

Viking   

I agree with xiinfaniin. Most Somalis I've met are hypochondriacs.

A Somali woman told me today that she suspected that "baraf baa galey". How does this 'baraf' survive in 37 degrees? :confused: