Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Somali Language Program

nuune   

^ :D Safa, ka joog yaan la is gaadine,

EDIT: xiin :D LOOL@suuye ma sacka isku furan baad rabtaa. waa habeenkaan quustay

Qumaati baan u qosley wallaahi

Aaliyyah   

lol I was just advicing. No offense intended folks...

haye somalia caruurtina geeya madaama waxkasta oo kale ni shaqeen waayey..labo sano ugu yaraan lasoo jooga...

this mouthy somali school kids asked me if I was from xamar or somaliland. don't worry about that, i replied. a couple of minutes later he asks me how do I say egg in Somali. UKUN, i reply. Apparently this proves I'm from xamar and not SL.

LOOOOL Karl they got u good walahi, smart kids. You probably thought miskiin kids they dont know howta say eggs in somali.

But, the truth is your choice of words in somali doesnt really reflect where you hail from.Lately people mix all kind of dialects. I tend to use words who are both northern and southern.

aabe macawis ii keen baan iri, suuye ma sacka isku furan baad rabtaa. waa habeenkaan quustay

looool that was hilarious...

adeer, just send your kids to somalia...tan kale maxaad kaga quusan ada saa ka dhigeye madaama macamuus xita u garan wayey....

seriously somali parents need to interact more with their kids...

You honestly dont expect a kid to learn somali when they spend 10 hrs in school and the few hours they are at home they are either occupied watching tv or doing their homework..and by 8 u send them off 2 bed...and the next day da same routine..??

family time folks...that is what is missing and I dont need to have kids to know that...

again no offense lol

salaam

Blessed   

Ashkiro,

Ha dhagaysan Faarax (isagaa ba liita) iyo Safa, hadaad dad wax tari kartid, u dadaal. Insha Allah, people will appreaciate it. smile.gif Research shows that structured academic programmes are very effective. smile.gif

C&H

I think you're talking about this software programme: http://eurotalk.com/us/resources/learn/somali. I've seen it in a few of the malls here. There's free online trial if you follow the link. LOL.

Aaliyyah   

^what exactly do u mean ha dhagaysan farah iyo safa?? read my comment to ashkiro and let me know what u disagreed with??

salaam

Blessed   

Sorry, I saw your last post where you agreed with Faaraxs teach the parents and the kids will learn from them.

Aaliyyah   

^^I agreed with farah in terms of speaking somali at home. And, that the first classroom for children is their own home. So definitely emphasising that parents speak somali at home is crucial. I personally witnessed that somalis more than parents from other nationalities speak english to their kids. Something I personally disagree with. They should emphasize on somali, because the child will learn english from many other sources. They don't need to speak it at home.

just my thoughts...

salaam

chubacka   

They teach portugese in my school and all the portugese kids absolutely love it. It would be great to have a similar somali class, I would suggest it but they might turn around and ask me to teach it rather than sit with the kids and LEARN it for myself.

Sounds like a great idea, go for it, start small, do your research, make your resources and iA it will benefit a great number of kids and parents.

Also agree with F.Brown, it is absolutely down to the parents, my lil 3 year old speaks like she got off a boat from Burco yesterday while some of my cousins don't know the word for banana in somali.

Blessed   

True Safa but that's another complicated issue, you can't even if you tried dictate that parents speak Somali with their kids. I'm just saying that language classes EVEN when the parents don't speak the language are effective. If your aim is to teach a language then focus on how to teach it well and forget about things you have no control over.

A lot of the Arab children in my school are fluent English speakers and some of their parents don't speak a word of it.

Aaliyyah   

^^I agree with you Blessed. Language classes are defnitely effective.

You remind me of my neighbor she sends her oldest daughter I think shes like 8 years old to french school. n I asked her if she spoke french and she was like nop the little girl does her homework and seems to be doing well in school even.

salaam

Originally posted by Blessed.*:

Ashkiro,

Ha dhagaysan Faarax (isagaa ba liita) iyo Safa, hadaad dad wax tari kartid, u dadaal. Insha Allah, people will appreaciate it.
smile.gif
Research shows that structured academic programmes are very effective.
smile.gif

C&H

I think you're talking about this software programme:
I've seen it in a few of the malls here. There's free online trial if you follow the link. LOL.

L0L!@Asaga liito. Heedhe, waa runtaa,waan liita, waxaana ii sababtay, markaan caruur ahayn, ingiris iyo sawaxili baa guriga loga hadli jiray.

Lakinse,one thing needs to be clarified,yeh. One approach is not the solution,All decks on hand approach is of course the best option. Gurigana loga hadlo,broogramna carurta loo jeediyo.

The practicallity of the situation is,kids these days are over worked. Homeworks,after school programs and dugsi make their schedule hectic. if i know kids,They will hate it. Let the kids have fun,shall they? smile.gif

Btw,i am not talking about cunug 10jir and above. The af somali learning process should start reaally early. Way early.

nuune   

I would suggest SOL's finest programmers to come together and design a Somali software on this particular subject, the software has to be compatible with many devices, smartphones, computers, normal phones, tv etc, and more importantly, it has to be free(other than generous donations that would go into the development of the software).

Geel-jire, Conspiracy, LST, and the rest, all stand up please, this culture(language) which is losing its ground because its youngesters cannot even speak, write or even read, it is the young generations that can carry this beautiful language and pass it around to the next!

^Foqol Somali iga dheh. Abti, We in America need $$ to make things work. Throw in some investment cash here and before you know,some IT geek like XIIN will be all over it. icon_razz.gif

Let me do some analysis on the likely profits one could make out of these.

nuune   

Abti waa runtaa, that geek of Xiin is dangerous programmer, open-source Somali language software ayaa laga rabaa, ha billaabo asaga, inta kale waa ay soo raacayaan.

True, wax kastaa waa lacag, balse, am sure if donations box are set up here, and that money goes into this software, then it will be a success story,

bal baaritaan ku soo samee, I know some Somali software programmes exist, but they are commercial, and expensive for normal people, yet, they are not comprehensive, and don't teach much, plus they are not compatible with many devices.

Originally posted by Ashkiro:

Salaam,

I am wondering in your communities (those of you in the West) are there any programs put in place teaching Somali kids, how to read and write in Somali? Almost every Somali child I come across has no grasp of Somali and this is truly troubling to me, I am thinking of starting a program in my community and looking for feedback.

100% parents' fault. I lived in the most rural town you can imagine, with only 6000 residents. We were not only the black family, but the only Somali family in the entire town. Still, my Somali is better than 99% of Somalis who grew up in the West, even though most Somalis were exposed to other Somalis.

It all boils down to the parents' values and how much effort they put in teaching their child their mother language. Waalidiin badan ayaa wexee ku faanaayaan in uusan cunugooda af soomaliga aqoonin, oo ayagaa afka wadanka cusub kula hadlaayaan ciyaalkooda, to make themselves appear more reer magaal smile.gif

The most disgusting thing is though, people who came to Western countries mere 5 years ago and all of a sudden speak with broken Somali :D

^5, waxaay u badan tahay in gurigiina af-somali aad looga hadli jiray oo ahayd luuqada kaliya ee guriga ka socota. Kudos to your parents. Afsomaliga si fiican ayaad uqori taqana. Waw!

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

aabe macawis ii keen baan iri, suuye ma
sacka isku furan baad rabtaa
. waa habeenkaan quustay

looooooooooooool @ sacka isku furan!! wallaahi waxan u qosalay maxaa kaa galay. Waa gartiisa.

It has been my observation, xagga ku hadalka af-somaliga in ay caruurtu kuwaba si ku yihiin oo ay qaarna ku fiican yihiin ama u sahlan tahay halka kuwana aay ku liitaan. Haddaba waxaad moodaa oo aan arkay kuwa ku hadalka afsomaligoodu aad moodid inuu xooggan yahay ay yihiin kuwa waalidkoodu (labadaba ama hooyadu) ka soo jeedan waqooyiga dalka halka kuwa waalidkoodu konfurta ka soo jeedaan ugu darran yihiin o afsomaligoodu aad u liito marka loo eego kuwa waqooyiga. Kolleey ma aqaan dadka kale siday u arkaan balse annigu waan u fiirsadayo sidaa ayeey ila muuqatay, why?