Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Talking Loud

Jacpher   

"An American listening to a group of Somalis talking amongst themselves may interpret the discussion as a heated argument, when they are simply having a friendly conversation," the Diversity Tip Sheet says. Somalis do not often express appreciation verbally, it adds.

I was reading this article in Hiiraan and I come to think, we do talk loud, louder than normal volume, especially on long distance phone calls. Is it loud noisy gene we inherited or just noisy culture?

N.O.R.F   

Its not just Somalis its Arabs as well.

The days of living in the bush with the winds gussing across the barren lands whilst trying to strike a conversation with your neighbour are not over yet.

Som@li   

it has something to do with culture, Most Somalis are very loud, maybe if you dont talk loud , noone will give a chance to talk,lol :D

smile.gif I sometimes catch myself talking very loudly on international calls.

brigs back memories, in somalia the only of calling somebody that lives in the badiya, is via 'taar'

it was a mental exercise for me trying to guess what my dear ayeeyo was trying to tell me. over the static smile.gif now ayeeyo has her own cell phone. but we still talk very loudly when i call her.

Aaliyyah   

Dabshid that is so true, if you dont talk loud no one is gonna give a chance to talk, so yell ur head off lol.

Anyhow, it is without a doubt a somali culture to talk loud.

Be proud of your culture ppl smile.gif

nuune   

Qeeladu quluubtey sifeesaa qaaxadana wey kaa ilaalisaa laakin waxaa ugu daran maalintaad dhahdo waan qeylin oo qaamoon qanshiir kugu dhaco.