Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Nomads …Would you believe this?

Salma   

Salam,

I was chatting with this European lady in the Saloon; and she talked about her vocation to “South Africa†and how Africa is a beautiful place. The lady was so happy with her vocation and she was praising Africa’s beauty a lot. When I told her that Iam originally from Africa. She opened her eyes astonishingly and asked me:-

She : Oh..Really, from where?

Me: (Loudly & Proudly) Iam from Somalia.

She: Hmmm… mmm.. I see, excuse me but Where is Somalia?

Me: Its in the East of Africa, We have the longest coastline in Africa. And Somalia is crossed by the Equator….. wait a minute…. you’ve never heard of my Somalia?

She : No, Not really, sorry

Me: AT ALL

She: Nope

Me (Boiling): Not even about Horn of Africa.

She: No,Sorry

Would you believe that?! She is not a kid, not a Psycho, not Illiterate. She is a PROJECT MANAGER from Eastern Europe as she claimed LOL. And she went to South Africa.

Nomads… What your re-action will be if someone asked you this question: Somalia?! Where is Somalia on the world's map? Is it a silly question or a normal one? And what would you consider it: Ignorance, Lack of Information, No Interest to know about it…etc

Somalia’s name is not that difficult, its not a street’s name, not a village’s name, not a town, not EVEN AN ISLAND in a far Ocean. I mean It’s a very known country in Africa, Its SOMALIA, damn it, doesn’t she even know about the World’s current Politics?!. My Little brother knows what its going on in Ukraine these days. HUH

If Somalia was The Lost Atlantis she would have know it? Cajeeb

Well,I changed my mind no more Jacques Dessange (Where some ignorants never heard of my Somalia) :mad:

Am I exaggerating/overacting here , Coz Iam really pissed off, Iam mad & Iam OUT LOL .

Salam

heeeeeeeey take it easy dude,,,,

Don't u know that 70 or 80% of French people doesn't know the capital city of USA that our 5-year kid can tell ???

U know these ppl don't know what is going on in the world and they don't give a damn about know the countries and regions coz they thinks every where in da world is belonged to them.

Forget about them ! ! !

Salma   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

heeeeeeeey take it easy dude,,,,

Don't u know that 70 or 80% of French people doesn't know the capital city of USA that our 5-year kid can tell ???

Well JB she is a European but not a French.

Then who called them "First World" "The Literate World" ? Don't tell me they were born as First World? HUH

Salam

LOL Classique. If they've heard of us it will most likely be in a negative context anyway. A lot of people don't know their Somalia from their Mali from their Timbuktu from their Africa. There are British people who holiday on some of the European islands on package trips and don't even know if it's Cyprus, Spain or Gibraltar they're tanning their flesh on. A lot of people just don't care what's out there; some are plain ignorant and some don't have access to information(like you said).

I draw a map of Africa and blow our horn(Somalia this, Somali that). They won't forget after my little lesson in geography. ;)

Originally posted by Classique:

Then who called them "First World" "The Literate World" ? Don't tell me they were born as First World? HUH

[/QB]

They called themselves and we said after them

Muhammad   

lol - she didn't even heard of "Black Hawk Down"?

in 2002 they asked americans where Afghanistan was located, more than 60% of them didn't know! and that was after 911, when their soldiers where fighting in afghanistan.

Salma   

LOL Muad, and some non-americans know the National Anthem of USA,the states' names,maps, governers',,, etc Everything about Mama America

"Black Hawk Dawn" oh yah I remember the brave American Soldiers,, they were doing great,,, If we don't have them, who will save the World & the humanity?!,, without them all the world will live in Terrorism and Chaos. So what was that country? LOL :D .

I guess the concetration will be on them only, who cares about countries anyway!!

All EYES on them only :(

Salam

OG_Girl   

LooooL@Classique, girl do you think world is like us that they teach us even American history...lol I remember when I told my dad that his reaction was "do they really even have some thing called history"..lol

To be fair my self I learned that Somalia conolized by 3 europian country 3 years ago when I was grade 12, All my life I thought Somalia was next to Sudan and I call my self Somali redface.gif

Salam

Ariadne   

A lot of educated people don't know a lot of things (which dosen't necessarily mean they aren't smart people or any less educated than they are) and a lot of people who aren't as priviledged to be as well educated have a knowledge of things those educated people don't know. This just goes to show that we are all privy to information the next person may not necessarily know and that we are all ignorant of some things. All in all, We don't know everything and we don't know nothing.

To most people Somalia is one of those obscure little interesting countries that people can only imagine or write about anyway. It can't possibly be a real country! and if it was where would it be north of narnia or off the coast of stupidia?

conversations I often get into with people:

people: "where are you from?"

me: "Somalia"

person: "Oh!, you mean Sumoa?"

"no, Somalia."

"yeah?"

"huh?"

"You know you should really finish off

your sentences"

"I do finish off my sentences... what

are you talking about?..... huh?!"

"You said So... Malia,... like you were

gonna say something important to me.

Then you trailled off again."

" I didn't trail off I was just saying

the name of my country!"

"What's it called again?"

"Somalia!!"

"Oh wheres it located?"

"Africa, East to be exact, have you

ever heard of the horn of Africa?"

"No"

"Kenya?! Ethiopia?!! Somalia?!"

"No, what are those names?"

"Countries in that region"

"You mean to tell me there's

countries in Africa?"

Curly   

You a lot are hilarious! You can’t assume someone is dumb just because they have a bad general knowledge. If this woman claimed to be a geologist and still didn’t know where Somalia was then I’d say she wasn't a very good geologist but just because she’s some project major doesn’t mean her general knowledge should expand over everything!

Now Classique tell me, what is the capital of the country this project manager came from and are they situated on a coast?

underdog   

I had a converstaion with an old Canadian guy a few yrs ago about where I'm from...Seemed (key word) to be a well established literate guy... and he was talking about taking a safari and seeing wild animals and said something like "...but I'm sure when you were there you used to see them all the time". I didn't even miss a beat..."Oh yeah! you gotta be careful on your way to school, you can get picked off be a lion"... Hoping he'd see the humour in the commment (which he didn't)

"is it really that bad?" he asked,

"Yeah" I was on a roll "you can't sleep at night with out checking for snakes and scorpions".

I left him with a "make sure you SEE them boil the water from the well...have fun".

Iffah   

Nomads… What your re-action will be if someone asked you this question: Somalia?! Where is Somalia on the world's map? Is it a silly question or a normal one?

I get asked about my Country of origin alot as of late. In all honesty, it does not bother me if the person questioning me doesn't know where in the world Somalia is located. Heck, there are some countries I never heard of myself, so why would I assume the person is ****** because they've never heard of Somalia.

I've also met people who know alot about Somalia. This one guy surprised me, when he started talking about the different tribes we have and which were the largest...he had some info I didn't even know of. And then he asks me, isn't it enough you share a language & religion, why divide yourselves into little tribes? I told him that is a question I ask myself too. The next time he saw me, he was reading the newspaper, he cut off a page regarding the new Presidential election in Somalia for me to read.

Juxa   

i know i know, how dare they not know SOMALIA? :mad:

my problem is somalis first saying, salaams, when i return it, adding ' abaayo somali maa tahay'. it boils my blood? what are they suggesting?

huh huh huh :eek: :rolleyes:

same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. except she was Asian n we go 2 da same uni. Girl the way I said I was Somalian and the shock she gave me ....I could've scratched her face off :mad:

I was so close to tell her what happened to the Americans in 1993 bloody hell...f**king Pakistani for God's sake even if she would've called me mini -afganistan I would be happy but to tell me she never heard of Somalia aaaarrrrrggggh it's like saying I never heard of Islam :rolleyes: