Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Shocking story

Abit shocking :eek: .

-------------------------------------------------------------

German 'cannibal' goes on trial

Mr Meiwes appeared relaxed before the opening of his trial

A man accused of killing, dissecting and eating another man has gone on trial in central Germany.

Computer technician Armin Meiwes, 41, is charged with murder, even though the victim allegedly volunteered for his fate by replying to an internet advert.

_39592605_meiwes203ap.jpg

The gruesome incident was all captured on camcorder and the video will form part of the evidence.

It is Germany's first cannibalism case, and the world's media have gathered in Kassel to watch the proceedings.

Mr Meiwes has already admitted in a recent newspaper interview that he killed and then partly ate his victim.

The grisly details of the case caused a sensation in the German media when Mr Meiwes was arrested in December, 2002.

My friend enjoyed dying, death. I only waited horrified for the end after doing the deed. It took so terribly long

Armin Meiwes

Cannibalism: A modern taboo

Mr Meiwes advertised on the internet for a well-built male prepared to be slaughtered and then consumed.

The victim, 43-year-old Bernd-Jurgen Brandes, answered the advert.

Mr Meiwes told investigators he took Mr Brandes back to his home, where Mr Brandes agreed to have his penis cut off, which Mr Meiwes then flambéed and served up to eat together.

On Wednesday, television images showed Mr Meiwes - wearing a jacket and a tie - smiling and talking light-heartedly to his lawyer moments before the trials began.

It was the first time that the self-confessed cannibal has been shown in public since his arrest.

Shock value

Legally it is a tricky case, says the BBC's correspondent in Berlin, Ray Furlong.

_39592593_victim203ap.jpg

The court will test if Mr Brandes gave his life willingly

Cannibalism is not on the German law books and the defence will argue that since the victim volunteered this was no murder.

The prosecution will push for a life sentence on the basis that Mr Meiwes is simply too dangerous to ever be released.

Meanwhile Germans will continue to be treated to a media frenzy that plays on the story's unrivalled shock value.

And among the "highlights" will be the two-hour video that Mr Meiwes took of the whole thing on his camcorder, our correspondent says.

"The public probably won't be excluded from this part of proceedings, we have a tradition of open trials," says legal expert Felix Hardenberg.

"But the panel of judges will only show the relevant parts: what the victim is saying and doing before and during the killing."

Mr Meiwes has said that after his trial he intends to pass the time in jail - if convicted - by writing his memoirs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sophist   

Unfortunately that is the civil Law for you. Under the English Law he will be convicted Murder and will then serve life--- 30 years perhaps or even less.

Consent in Murder is not recognised unless it is a suicide pack-- where the Defendent and the victim agree to kill each other! but tafter killing one the other chicknes out, then the case will be invalontary manslaughter-- maximum sentence similiar to that of Murder.

N.O.R.F   

he has a better chance if he claims deminished responsbility, cos he will get convicted of Murder instead of a lesser manslaughter!

But thats the thing, he wont. He will state his defence on the fact that it was a consenting act between two males of sound mind, and in German there is no provision in Statue or Case Law for Cannibalism, so he might well serve a Custodial Sentence, but it might be minimial as there was no 'Murder' in the Literal meaning of the word, committed here. The only thing i can think of is the fact that the courts might want to make a precedent of this case, which is obviously needed.

I hink his defence team could make a plea under insanity, but that might mean a longer term Jail sentence. Anyway it all makes u think of just how crazy the provisions under Man made laws can get.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Changed   

Consent in Murder is not recognised unless it is a suicide pack-- where the Defendent and the victim agree to kill each other! but tafter killing one the other chicknes out, then the case will be invalontary manslaughter-- maximum sentence similiar to that of Murder.

since the guy that was killed was not a canibal and he gave his life away on purpose wouldnt u think this guy has a chance to get out ...he(mr miews) didnt "chicken out" and there was no deal between the two that said "if u die i die" which means he didnt do anything the so called"victim" wouldnt have wanted.. and since there is no law that says canibalism is illegal and if a canibal eats another human he/she would serve time, this man has a chance to get out..am just hopping they make a law that punishes canibalism(hopping that they would learn a lesson from this case).

.i dont think he deserves to punished cuz if u look at this case logically ..the "victim" volunteered to give his life away...now the prosecutors may argue the "victim" was insame or had mental problems and that may bring a twist to this case..but if the "victim" was sane and of sound mind.when he made the decision.(which would be hard to proove since he is dead)they only way they can proove that is if the "victim" a mental disability he was diagnosed with.this man(mr miews) will be walking free in the street of germany(my prediction ofcourse ;) )

my mom used to scare me of juudaan ...i never thought i would see one ...i just saw a juudan picture :eek: .. mr miews sounds like a canibals name..........miew a cat icon_razz.gif :rolleyes:

Xafsa   

Mr Brandes agreed to have his penis cut off, which Mr Meiwes then flambéed and served up to eat together.

:eek: :( Acuudu bilaah!!!

Rokko   

Abootoooooy waxaan u jeedaa nin dad qal ah. For the first time....LOL..dang..

I am trully speechless. In addition, is horrible to hear/see such thing and expect he pays the price.

Miss Unique..the bottom-line is he ate freaking human being. For God sake, that is the end of story. An argument can be made as if, he murdered only. However, here we are talking about a freaking Cannibalism...Dang...

Cannot even discuss this cuz it is a disgusting...ewwwww...

For me it beggs the question just what kinda of societies do we live in. True its safe in the absolute sense, i am not likely to be hit by a round of AK-47 or be a victim of a motar bomb. But i am surronded by Peodophiles, Serial Killers, Sex Attackers, Murderers etc etc brialliant huh :rolleyes: .

Dhimbil   

mancini loooool

wallahi this is funny and scary at the same time.

Anyway, do you nomads think the juudaan we use to hear about in somalia is real? I mean if humans in Germany are capable of this, maybe the juudaan in somalia existed?, no/yes?

Jaabir   

Ilaahu adaa muslim naga dhigay.. i was about to throw up.. cant believe there people like that walking around us acting normal!!!