Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Nadifa Mohamed's Black Mamba Boy - New Novel

I dont know which page I'm on but boy Jama is enroute to Omhajer. So far, I find it a little too verbose and descriptive, but otherwise good read all round smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Its probably a book I will read anyway but I'll await your final reviews.

Ngonge, what is so good about it? Can you relate to it?

^He went to her book launch and chatted with the author and now he feels obligated to be all nice! It must have been a nice chat because I noticed he was gesticulating alot (perhaps he was narrating how his dad came from a similar background and that the book might as well have been his story? icon_razz.gif ).

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by -Serenity-: ^He went to her book launch and chatted with the author and now he feels obligated to be all nice! It must have been a nice chat because I noticed he was gesticulating alot
(perhaps he was narrating how his dad came from a similar background and that the book might as well have been his story?
icon_razz.gif
).

I was building up to that :D

NGONGE   

Serenity, ileen I have a (not so) secret admirer anoon ogeen. :D

Did you also watch me when I was talking to those two pretty girls with funny hates/hijab on? (Arr Siyidooo, window shoppingka aduunka ku dhaafay, saaxib). :D

By the way, the author is a very pretty and nice young lady. Did you not like her, Serenity?

Norf,

I am only half way but I like the way she tells the tale and the typical Somali way of characters smoothly gliding in and out of the story. Every time a new character appears, you assume he/she is going to be central to the plot but he/she just disappears and the hero carries on going to the next place and adventure.

Serenity is right; the author is very descriptive (at times brilliantly) that it becomes boring in parts. But seeing that I am also reading a Thomas Hardy novel alongside this one, I think I have become immune to too many descriptions.

Don't let us put you off though. The dialogue is simple and to the point, the pace is fairly pleasant and the story itself is interesting. The only real problem (though very minor) I've seen with the book is the use of Somali words. I have a feeling non-Somali speakers will struggle with some of the terms. You can tell a Fish & Chips person wrote this book. :D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

By the way, the author is a very pretty and nice young lady. Did you not like her, Serenity?

Strange question to be asking a girl, doncha think? I thought she handled herself and the Q&A very well. And yes, I liked her - probably in a different way than u did ;) ! She was nice and relatable.

Cara.   

Hmmm, I have been meaning to re-gift an Amazon gift card but this book sounds intriguing. Just so you all know, I will be very disappointed if it turns out your reviews were colored by, ahem, birthplace considerations :D

NGONGE   

^^ That turned out to be an Ibti rumour. :D

(try reading that last line with a blocked nose to get its full meaning).