Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Kanoute Saves Spanish Mosque

Ms DD   

Kanoute Saves Spanish Mosque

IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

It is estimated that Kanoute has spent almost a year's salary to buy the mosque.

MADRID — Malian Muslim footballer Frederic Kanoute, the striker of Spain's Seville FC, has saved the only mosque in the southern Spanish city of Seville from closure.

Kanoute has paid 510,860 euros (some $700,000) so that fellow Muslims in Seville would not find themselves without a mosque, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP) Thursday, December 13.

The privately owned mosque was due to be sold after a contract to use the premises by the local Muslim population had expired.

But Kanoute stepped in to purchase the building.

The 30-year-old striker has not made any comment on the matter.

But city authorities have confirmed that the property has been registered in Kanoute's name, according to the BBC Sport.

It is estimated that Kanoute has spent almost a year's salary to buy the mosque.

Kanoute, , one of the finalists for the 2007 BBC African Footballer of the Year award, moved in 2005 from French champions Lyon to Seville FC, the 2006-07 Spanish league's third and the holder of last season's cup championship.

Grateful

Spanish Muslims said they really appreciate Kanoute's moving gesture.

"If it had not been for Kanoute then we would not have had a mosque on Fridays, which is the most holy day of the week for Muslims," a spokesman for the Islamic Community of Spain was quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

Kanoute, who has also created a foundation in his motherland Mali to help orphans, reverted to Islam 10 years ago.

Last Ramadan, he impressed Spanish football fans by his unique performance though he was fasting.

Kanoute was crowned last year the league's top scorer with 20 goals, outperforming football legends such as Brazilian Ronaldinho.

Kanoute, a practicing Muslim who regularly performs his prayers even in the locker room, refused last season to wear a jersey advertising for an internet gambling site, because gambling is forbidden in Islam.

His team had to give him a brand-free jersey until he accepted wearing the sponsored jersey in return for money to an Islamic charity.

ManshaAllah

‘Last Ramadan, he impressed Spanish football fans by his unique performance though he was fasting.’

Funny that, because just today I was ready about Hakeem Olajuwon (retired Muslim basketball player) on Wikipedia and this is what I read:

Olajuwon was still recognized as one of the league's elite centers despite his strict observance of Ramadan (e.g., abstaining from food and drink during daylight hours for about a month), which occurred during virtually every season of his career. Olajuwon was noted as sometimes playing better during the month, and in 1995 he was named NBA Player of the Month in February, even though Ramadan began on 1 February of that year.

Both performed better when they were fasting-is it coincidence or the power of ramadan. ;)

May Allah reward him in both worlds. A true role model! I once watched him on Islam Chanel talking about his involvement and support for less privileged people and orphans and buildin homes for homeless in many places in the muslim world. Good man!

Skipper   

Urban you can order it but be warned that it advertises a gambling company (888). Even Kanoute refused to wear it in his first year. Kanoute is a top fella indeed. We should all contribute to the good cause of Islam.

Urban   

Skipper thanks for the warning.. but those things are easy to peel off! That's what i've done with my liverpool cl shirt, you can peel off the white thing they used for the 'carlsberg'..

The only problem being that some people might think it's fake, but who cares..

Skipper   

Urban i do have a liverpool one to and i didnt peel of the carlsberg. I bought the liverpool shirt because i am a liverpool fan and not a carlsberg one. Urban what name do you have at the back of your liverpool shirt? Torres perhaps? mine has nothing on it.

Urban   

It's the champions league shirt from 3 years ago, with the golden number and that, Alonso at the back ;)

I want the current sevilla shirt and a classic Santos one, I knew a website where they sold classic football shirts, but i've forgotten the name

N.O.R.F   

You guys want replica shirts buy the fourfourtwo magazine. Plenty to chose from including Maradona's Napoli shirt or Zidane's Juve shirt

I havnt bought/worn a Liverpool shirt since the Calsberg sponsor.

ps AC Milan will play in Dubai in Jan '08 :cool:

SoMa_InC   

Masha-Allah! May Allah reward him for his efforts. I had the pleasure of praying with him at Whitechapel Mosque when he used to play for West Ham United. I remember he contributed large sum of money towards the mosque and Imam mentioned it after the prayers.