Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somali man, '112', weds girl, 17

^Why and what difference does age make? I think ability and energy to lead a healthy family lifestyle mattered the most. I though you were one of the believe that said age is nothing but a number.

I say kudos to Odaga if he can do the job and get the young girl bread and bring beautiful babies to this world, that is Masha'alaah and god bless them.

However, if he can't do that then I think it is a waste of the young girls time and life, it will all depend on Odaga's ability, which I don't no and thus can't comment on, all I will say for that case is bless them all.

Aaliyyah   

lol@ odeyga abilitigiisa....I am shocked and hurt with those who condone such behavior.

nina waxba ma fahmayo unless its him who is in that position...aduu bal close your eyes and for once imagine u are 17 and married to someone over 100 years old??..

ok enough said!

salaam

^Adeer the age of the man is not an issue for me, trust me it will never be an issue for any other man for that matter, the girl is 17 and has long passed the age puperty, what I am concerned is his capacity, haduuse oday marooqsamay oo cad meel iska yaal yahay, I disapprove this marriage however if he is an able technochrat and very skillful old man who knows how to score an open goal then no problem at all.

Ragga ilaahay waa kala duway waana kala quwad badanyihiin, waxaa jira Odayaal waawayn oo wali qooqa manyikada kukacsantahay, how would you deal with such men, don't tell waa in ladhufaano.

Castro   

Originally posted by Bile Bile:

^Adeer the age of the man is not an issue for me,
trust me it will never be an issue for any other man for that matter

Don't trust him. lol.

Aaliyyah   

^^^age difference is important, am not sure waht she and this old man will have in common. Absolutely nothing walaal. Age is important factor, and anything more than 10 years makes people lose communication.....

you dnt just look at things only from one side....if he was 30 or 40 I could have over looked...who knows the man might still be attractive....even though I would still say hes too old fo 17 yrs old kid.

Inshallah I hope we stop this type of acts in our culture...10 years difference is ok..a bit more than that is even fine if that girl is ok with it..... bt in this case the age gap is over 80 years now that is simply disguisting, there is no need to tip toe with "oh everyone has a choice"...am just saying as it is.

salaam

^Adaptation dear, Adaptations, we are humans and adapt to any lifestyle. She is starting with this sort of lifestyle at begining and will settle in time..

Castro, lol, my word being FACTUAL like that of the Bible, this admission of your puts doubt you true gender :D

Ragga ilaahay waa kala duway waana kala quwad badanyihiin, waxaa jira Odayaal waawayn oo wali qooqa manyikada kukacsantahay,
how would you deal with such men, don't tell waa in ladhufaano.

:eek: :eek: maya waa inaa loo yeelo to buy little girls, akhas!

We all know why this is happening. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Anyone with half a brain would recognize the symptoms of child abuse(and plz dont go way qaangaartay by two years. Doesnt make a damn difference). The man has money, the little girl was for sale. She was sold to the highest bidder, end of story. To say otherwise is to pluck excuses from the open sky. You wouldnt let your 17years old girl marry a 100 years old man for his strenght, ability uu waajibkiisa ku soo guto, agility, and the bright future they will have together :rolleyes: . Joojiya nac nacda. It is a sad story and ilahay ha iga cafiyo for I feel disgust in the pit of my stomach.

When you see the input and the reaction of most girls about this, this quote comes to mind:

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Gheelle, miyaanad dumarka wali baraan saaxib. They make noise in accordance to their own age and it's proximity to the bride's. If she's younger than them, it is child abuse (even if they're fifty).

Everyone of them comes up with child abuse, or a 17 year kid, honestly the west has corrupted a lot of people.

17 year old is not a kid nor a child, they are called young adults.

Aaliyyah   

if 17 years old is a young adult in your book, 112 years old man? is what? a young adult? or old hag...I gather you would go with the former lol. Talk about being baised. Anyways, everything is about relativity 17 years old is a child compared to odey dhali kara...

Castro   

Originally posted by Bile Bile:

Castro, lol, my word being FACTUAL like that of the Bible, this admission of your puts doubt you true gender
:D

Ability kulaha. War odayga labada lugoodba xabaasha kula jira ragiinan u sacbinaya hayni fuulo idinka for he will probably not be able to tell the difference. :D

Give it up, atheer. There's no story here. This is the mother of all UFF fowqal AKHAS fowqal OUUCCC.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Cara.:

^There's every kind of basis actually, and it's far more reasonable to assume she was forced than that she made the choice of her own free will.

1)She is really young

but even if she wasn't

2) He is really old

but even if he wasn't

3) The age difference is 90+ years! He has great-grandchildren older than her.

But what clinches it is social context. Knowing that girls back home are routinely forced into marriage, especially to married older men, and especially at that age, do you really find it more plausible that a 17 year old made this choice?

So you impute force from the age difference and the social context? It's probably not really even the age difference that is the primary factor - when Anna Nicole Smith married that billionaire nonagenarian - nobody thought it was because she was forced.

So essentially - it boils down to social context - read the patriarhcial Somali culture. Taken on the whole Somali culture is not very kind to women. But I don't believe that Somali women are routinely forced to marry against their will. Compared to Arabs and Pakistanis - Somali women say 'kir' quite a lot to their wouldbe male controllers. But then this viewpoint is coloured by personal perspective. It's not as if we have impartial statistics - all we have is personal anecodotes and the like.

To me - it is not implausible that a nomadic girl in a dirt-poor conflict ridden country would choose to marry someone who could provide for her and her family regardless of his age, looks and number of previous wives.