Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somali man, '112', weds girl, 17

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Old as he seem the man thinks he is capable to do his duties in the bedroom, and the girl agrees, not to mention the family is happy. A happy family there in Galgaduud. Why SOL is angry then?

It's easy to reduce this whole thing to performance in the bed which at age 112, should rate at zero. :D But look at it from this angle, saaxib. That it is "xalaal" (even though divorce is also xalaal), is never in doubt, but it's not exactly fair to give a young girl to a man who is too much her senior (I understand this is relative but say > 30 years) since the long term implications are likely to be severe.

Marriage is not for bedroom acrobatics but is (ostensibly) a life long relationship. Any issues that might cause trouble down the road should be avoided. Things like an enormous educational gap (e.g. PhD vs. illiterate), a disparate family or cultural background or the communication in the same language or languages, being contemporaries and so forth. This man can tell his wife about slavery in America and she would have nothing to tell in return.

The likelihood that this man will be around when his new wife turns thirty are almost zero. Yet, by then, she may have three or more kids (and some may even have disabilities).

And with all the young men who don't have the means running around Galgaduud (or anywhere in Somalia), this old fossil would have earned much more ajjar if he used his money to marry this girl to a man closer to her age or one of his own grand kids, or even great grand kids. Instead, he wants to spend his last few years or months rubbing his ashy, wrinkly hands all over this teenager.

This whole thing stinks and you know it Xiin. Don't play the devil's advocate just for the sake of it.

:D:D @NG

Castro, yours is a serious, analytical take on the viability of this marriage, and I acknowledge that. Getting the performance and legality issues out of the way, and getting into the potential lack of chemistry between the two due to the huge age gap, you do have a valid point indeed.

But you need to consider and ponder upon the fact that marriage in the rural areas in general, and in that part of Somalia in particular has a narrow purpose, and that is to rear children. When looked from that perspective, this man to the extent he can produce sperms with reasonable speed can meet that benchmark. That is why most people in his locality will not see this as something that warrants a protest. Further more this is not a rare occurrence in Somalia. An old marrying a girl his son could have easily fathered is not breaking news. It may be in some urban centers, but not in the valleys of Galgaduud. What I find annoying is applying western standards of courting and marrying to the nomads living in rural Galgaduud.

It’s not fair, I concede, for a 17 year to marry a century old man. But what about if social institutions, religion and culture included, permit such a relationship, and the girl is content with it?

Lets put things in context awoowe.

Kamaavi   

The old man from Guriceel is on politics now talking about Sherif's government , the point is, this could be the reason that Xiin is defending the old man ,,, :D

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Old as he seem the man thinks he is capable to do his duties in the bedroom, and the girl agrees, not to mention the family is happy. A happy family there in Galgaduud. Why SOL is angry then?

It's easy to reduce this whole thing to performance in the bed which at age 112, should rate at zero.
:D
But look at it from this angle, saaxib. That it is "xalaal" (even though divorce is also xalaal), is never in doubt, but it's not exactly fair to give a young girl to a man who is too much her senior (I understand this is relative but say > 30 years) since the long term implications are likely to be severe.

Marriage is not for bedroom acrobatics but is (ostensibly) a life long relationship. Any issues that might cause trouble down the road should be avoided. Things like an enormous educational gap (e.g. PhD vs. illiterate), a disparate family or cultural background or the communication in the same language or languages, being contemporaries and so forth. This man can tell his wife about slavery in America and she would have nothing to tell in return.

The likelihood that this man will be around when his new wife turns thirty are almost zero. Yet, by then, she may have three or more kids (and some may even have disabilities).

And with all the young men who don't have the means running around Galgaduud (or anywhere in Somalia), this old fossil would have earned much more ajjar if he used his money to marry this girl to a man closer to her age or one of his own grand kids, or even great grand kids. Instead, he wants to spend his last few years or months rubbing his ashy, wrinkly hands all over this teenager.

This whole thing stinks and you know it Xiin. Don't play the devil's advocate just for the sake of it.
Lol@this old fossil ahahahaha, that is so classic, yaa Castro!

I agree, but I wonder if the teenage girl's motive for "this old fossil" is to claim the death insurance i.e. Dhaxalka Odayga, giving that Odayga is infested with a lot of wealth. The chances of hearing domestic abuse from that marriage is less than 00.001%, waa u dhacatay gabarta. :D

N.O.R.F   

But you need to consider and ponder upon the fact that marriage in the rural areas in general, and in that part of Somalia in particular has a narrow purpose, and that is to rear children. When looked from that perspective, this man to the extent he can produce sperms with reasonable speed can meet that benchmark. That is why most people in his locality will not see this as something that warrants a protest. Further more this is not a rare occurrence in Somalia. An old marrying a girl his son could have easily fathered is not breaking news. It may be in some urban centers, but not in the valleys of Galgaduud. What I find annoying is applying western standards of courting and marrying to the nomads living in rural Galgaduud.

It’s not fair, I concede, for a 17 year to marry a century old man. But what about if social institutions, religion and culture included, permit such a relationship, and the girl is content with it?

There it is.

:D:D
@NG

Castro, yours is a serious, analytical take on the viability of this marriage, and I acknowledge that. Getting the performance and legality issues out of the way, and getting into the potential lack of chemistry between the two due to the huge age gap, you do have a valid point indeed.

Xiin,112 vs 17 years is a huge gap. 70+ waa wax la gartay,lakin,boqol jir iyo gu 17 waa ka darey.